Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rogers to Hike Spending On Wireless Netowkr

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So some interesting results from a speed test I ran at Upper Canada Mall today. Per my earlier post, Rogers was planning to go live with their new DAS in the mall sometime in November. But according to the ertyu cell tower website, itís live now. In most of the mall, it appeared live. LTE signal was full/max and speed tests were consistently 130-160. However, near the Disney Store and as we walked closer to the new ďMarketĒ food court on the lower level, signal dropped drastically, phone kicked over to B12 and speeds were 1-2 Mbps before dropping LTE signal completely and kicking the phone over to the old (useless) 3G DAS. The new antenna units were present on the ceiling all over the mall including where there appeared to be no DAS (Disney Store / Market food court). Is it possible for some sections of the DAS to be operational while others not? I thought it was all or nothing (i.e. all antennas connected to the radio, so as long as one antenna was providing signal, they would all be operational)...doesnít appear to be the case. I even stood directly under the antenna outside the Disney Store and the phone was still toggling between B12 from the outdoor macro and 3G from the old DAS.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Rogers to Hike Spending On Wireless Netowkr

So taking a look at the last update made to the cell tower map site, looks like the long planned Rogers tower for Schomberg, ON (Hwy 27 and Hwy 9) has finally gone up. This wasnít on the map last month. I havenít physically been there recently so canít confirm. But whatís interesting on the map is that the tower only has 850MHz (B5) HSPA. Is Rogers really still building HSPA-only sites???? That would be ludicrous, but hey, itís Rogers weíre talking about so...

Name:  028C7CBA-E368-4CE9-AC2E-34A81A7944E3.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  31.6 KB
    Last edited by toolcube; 11-09-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2 Laser
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi toolcube, it's an LTE site.
    When you click on the bubble link, the Rogers 850 MHz, it indicates that the site indicates that it's using 5MHz for the bandwidth. Which is using LTE.

Steven Nikkel from his Canadian Cellular Towers Map explains this in the Help and more information, in the Protocol/Technology/Generation section.
    mbourd25

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

With Rogers, 5MHz wide B5 is HSPA. Itís not like Bellus where Bell uses 4.15Mhz wide HSPA channels and 5MHz wide LTE channels. Plus, I donít believe Rogers has launched B5 LTE around these parts. Lastly, I doubt they would use B5 LTE when they could implement 10MHz wide B12 which theyíve been doing across southern Ontario recently. This particular site in Schomberg just seems very weird, even by Rogers standards.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    With Rogers, 5MHz wide B5 is HSPA. Itís not like Bellus where Bell uses 4.15Mhz wide HSPA channels and 5MHz wide LTE channels. Plus, I donít believe Rogers has launched B5 LTE around these parts. Lastly, I doubt they would use B5 LTE when they could implement 10MHz wide B12 which theyíve been doing across southern Ontario recently. This particular site in Schomberg just seems very weird, even by Rogers standards.

Iím willing to bet that itís just a map error. Iíve seen sites before for Rogers that had missing frequencies on the map but had them in real life for years. Example would be tower on kenmount hill here in St. Johnís only having band 4/7 LTE for years on map and only getting band 12/17 recently. Meanwhile it has band 12/17 for a couple years in real life.

Either way thatís awesome that theyíve built the new site after all this time. Is this a sign theyíre finally doing a bit of expansion for the network?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Hopefully. Theyíre getting very aggressive with their cable network upgrades (pushing more fibre etc), so it would be nice for them to be as aggressive with their wireless upgrades too.

Iíll take a drive out to Schomberg next week with my wifeís SIM, if I can, to confirm signal/coverage in the area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have seen B5 LTE a fair bit now on Rogers in the GTA, it seems set to a pretty low priority but it is 5 mhz. Happy to see Rogers is really picking it up on the network strategy, filling in gaps, just from places I've seen, they've added a DAS a part of the PATH in Toronto they've been deficient in for a while and another one in the Science Centre that was much needed.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hopefully. They’re getting very aggressive with their cable network upgrades (pushing more fibre etc), so it would be nice for them to be as aggressive with their wireless upgrades too.

I’ll take a drive out to Schomberg next week with my wife’s SIM, if I can, to confirm signal/coverage in the area.

Yes, that would be great.

Just upgraded to their gigabit internet here and it's actually awesome. Speeds are exactly what you pay for, surprisingly. Now if only they would start offering ignite TV in NL and build a few more cell sites I'd be really happy.

How big is Schomberg? Is it very far from Toronto? Not super familiar with the area there. Whenever I fly in I always spend my time between the airport and downtown usually - and that's about it.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Schomberg is probably an hour drive north from downtown Toronto (maybe a bit more...not sure as I havenít timed it myself). Itís not very big at all. Just one subdivision of homes and then nothing around it for several kms.

But Rogers having only B5 LTE there doesnít make sense at all. There are smaller towns where Rogers has B4, B7, and B12/17 LTE. Having only 5MHz of low band LTE and zero high band LTE would not be wise in that town despite it not being very big.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Schomberg is probably an hour drive north from downtown Toronto (maybe a bit more...not sure as I havenít timed it myself). Itís not very big at all. Just one subdivision of homes and then nothing around it for several kms.

But Rogers having only B5 LTE there doesnít make sense at all. There are smaller towns where Rogers has B4, B7, and B12/17 LTE. Having only 5MHz of low band LTE and zero high band LTE would not be wise in that town despite it not being very big.

Yeah thatís strange. Perhaps theyíll add at least Band 4 as well at some point. Post your results when you go there. Would be nice to see what you can pull on a Speedtest there vs Telus

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Last time I was there, I pulled around 90Mbps with Telus. Bell has B5 and B2 LTE on the townís water tower. Rogers fluctuated between 2 bars of B17 (around 2Mbps), 1 bar of B4 (around 3Mbps), and 3G (very iffy data)...all from towers that are several kms away. Sometimes inside the local shops (e.g. Foodland), Iíve even seen my wifeís device switch over to EDGE. Iíll do some tests if I can get up there this week

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Decided to take a drive up to Schomberg this afternoon. Ummmm, yeah, the map/ISED data is very wrong lol. They definitely have more than B5 on the new site. Pics below.

Name:  ED0AC3D8-A712-4B14-AC0C-98D82C692AC7.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  72DF08D2-5D1D-4006-BEA4-D8351F15C8D6.jpg
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  90EAE1E4-44A3-40A2-B79B-87873B80BEA5.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  1873AEB0-2EB9-4FCC-A82F-7F558E30F47B.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  36.2 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Decided to take a drive up to Schomberg this afternoon. Ummmm, yeah, the map/ISED data is very wrong lol. They definitely have more than B5 on the new site. Pics below.

Name:  ED0AC3D8-A712-4B14-AC0C-98D82C692AC7.jpg
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  72DF08D2-5D1D-4006-BEA4-D8351F15C8D6.jpg
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  90EAE1E4-44A3-40A2-B79B-87873B80BEA5.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  1873AEB0-2EB9-4FCC-A82F-7F558E30F47B.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  36.2 KB
    Whoa! Those speeds are awesome. Yeah a lot more than Band 5 from the looks haha did you check to see which bands were aggregated? Iím assuming maybe tri band 7/4/12 possibly?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried but the menu refused to load. I had a hard enough time getting into the serving cell info menu I posted above. The service mode on the Intel-based iPhones is horrible. Thereís a 50/50 chance itíll come up for me every time I try. Anyway, yeah, really good speeds. Faster than Bell/Telus there. I ran some tests with my Telus SIM (same phone...iPhone 8 Plus) and couldnít get any more than about 70Mbps today...90 was the fastest last time I tested there. So good news for my wife and other Rogers customers. Her phone wonít be a paper weight anymore when we go visit our friends

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried but the menu refused to load. I had a hard enough time getting into the serving cell info menu I posted above. The service mode on the Intel-based iPhones is horrible. Thereís a 50/50 chance itíll come up for me every time I try. Anyway, yeah, really good speeds. Faster than Bell/Telus there. I ran some tests with my Telus SIM (same phone...iPhone 8 Plus) and couldnít get any more than about 70Mbps today...90 was the fastest last time I tested there. So good news for my wife and other Rogers customers. Her phone wonít be a paper weight anymore when we go visit our friends

Yeah field test mode is absolute garbage on my phone as well. Thatís a nice difference in speeds. Then again Iím assuming most of the town is probably using the Bell network if Rogers never really worked there up until recently. I took a quick look at the area on the cell tower map and it looks like Rogers is a little more generous with spectrum in the area for LTE than Bell is though at least regarding Higher bands. I find they are the same here in NL too. In the few places that Rogers does have towers on the highway here they almost always have band 4 whereas the highest you find with Bell is 2. Probably does wonders for capacity and speeds when in range.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast