Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogers to Hike Spending On Wireless Netowkr

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    There was talk in the other profile on Natale about retooling how Rogers does EPP's and limiting the scope of those to pay for network expansion, there is also today's announcement of discussions on selling off the Blue Jays and Cogeco stakes. In theory, if networks add capacity service should become cheaper but that's not the way things seem to ever play out in our wireless sector.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceclutch View Post
    Not a Rogers fanboy at all. Belus I way more robust than Rogers since they have double the spending. Rogers also has **** coverage in rural be if it was not for ext. You have to be an idiot to say Telus ha a better coverage Han Rogers in Vancouver sky trains. What about the durmandsisur tunnel, my friend has Telus and it does not work there. I never said Telus does not have Canada line coverage, they do. However they don't at Granville which if your a Telus user you can go there and even check. You have to be really messed up to say belus has better reception than Rogers at translink Syrian stations.
    The facts must be crazy then too hey fanboy?

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayaguy View Post
    The facts must be crazy then too hey fanboy?
    Ok explain to me how belus is better at sky trains than Rogers in Vancouver. I won’t say anything if you can prove Telus Has more coverage in skytrains than Rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Too late for me. Was fed up with no service at Toronto Union Station and non stop dropped calls at specific spots downtown Toronto. Switched to Bell a few weeks ago after 10 years with Rogers and the reliability of Bell’s network is astonishingly fantastic. Very much enjoying the speed, quality of calls and the sheer reliability.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Aceclutch is right. Only Rogers/Fido have connectivity in the Dunsmuir tunnel downtown (Granville, Burrard), then at Edmonds (calls always drop on Telus going through that area), then Columbia Station and the tunnel between Columbia and Sapperton, and also the Millennium Line tunnel on the "Evergreen extension" part of the line (between Burquitlam and Moody Centre Station)... it's the reason I left Telus. Clearly Rogers has a much more aggressive priority to get all stations connected and get rid of dead spots on SkyTrain.

And you're right Cayaguy. Telus owns the entire tunnel portion of the Canada Line wireless network, which Rogers and Freedom lease.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcadas View Post
    Aceclutch is right. Only Rogers/Fido have connectivity in the Dunsmuir tunnel downtown (Granville, Burrard), then at Edmonds (calls always drop on Telus going through that area), then Columbia Station and the tunnel between Columbia and Sapperton, and also the Millennium Line tunnel on the "Evergreen extension" part of the line (between Burquitlam and Moody Centre Station)... it's the reason I left Telus. Clearly Rogers has a much more aggressive priority to get all stations connected and get rid of dead spots on SkyTrain.

And you're right Cayaguy. Telus owns the entire tunnel portion of the Canada Line wireless network, which Rogers and Freedom lease.
    Thank you, I have know clue where Cayaguy was getting his information, yet he calls me a Rogers fanboy.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Cayaguy lost the argument and stopped replying. Called me a fanboy yet he had no facts to back himself up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcadas View Post

Ok that makes more sense. I went from Fido to pm and was wondering why my coverage had gotten worse. Oh well had I had known before I may have not switched oh well I'm still saving money in pm.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    You can still save money and get coverage by switching to freedom.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    So I called Rogers a couple weeks ago to report problematic areas using my wife’s Rogers phone number/account. I was hopeful that with the planned increase in network investment spending, some/all of the areas I reported would be on their roadmap for improvement in 2018. These areas include where we live (Cityview Blvd and Canada Dr in Vaughan), Kleinberg west in Vaughan, Schomberg in King City, and Bolton North in Caledon. A wireless escalation representative called me back the other today and confirmed that NONE of these locations are on their roadmap for new sites and/or enhancements. These same areas are served with full LTE Bellus service. I guess their budget for 2018 is going to other areas and/or improving existing sites. I can’t say I’m surprised but still disappointed. The more things change at Rogers the more they stay the same!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    So I called Rogers a couple weeks ago to report problematic areas using my wife’s Rogers phone number/account. I was hopeful that with the planned increase in network investment spending, some/all of the areas I reported would be on their roadmap for improvement in 2018. These areas include where we live (Cityview Blvd and Canada Dr in Vaughan), Kleinberg west in Vaughan, Schomberg in King City, and Bolton North in Caledon. A wireless escalation representative called me back the other today and confirmed that NONE of these locations are on their roadmap for new sites and/or enhancements. These same areas are served with full LTE Bellus service. I guess their budget for 2018 is going to other areas and/or improving existing sites. I can’t say I’m surprised but still disappointed. The more things change at Rogers the more they stay the same!
    Looking at the tower map. There is a Rogers area in the areas you mentioned. I don’t even want them to spend money there. Also they never say where they are expanding if you look at the past.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers to Hike Spending On Wireless Netowkr

There are no Rogers towers in Schomberg or Bolton North. In both locations, signal often drops to EDGE and sometimes no service at all. Rarely will phones catch one bar of LTE band 17 in Schomberg but calls and data fail. We have two towers where we live near Cityview Blvd but both are too far to provide adequate coverage in our subdivision. In Kleinberg, they have antennas mounted on a hydro pole but again, too far away to provide sufficient signal to the subdivision to its north. Also, the areas I mention are not “off the map”...there should be proper signal but there isn’t. Lastly, they used to publish tower build/infrastructure improvements on their website (community forums) but no more. The rep I spoke with was from the wireless escalation division. He was a manager with access to internal documentation of the Rogers wireless 2018 roadmap. He confirmed that none of these locations are in the pipeline for enhancements or new site builds. I’m just going by what I was told. Given his title and the way he spoke, it sounded legit and reputable.

Today, my wife and I went to the Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket. Rogers has a DAS in the mall but it’s only HSPA. In some locations, a Rogers phone will catch one bar of LTE band 17 from an outdoor site, but why Rogers wouldn’t just upgrade the DAS to provide proper LTE signal is bizarre. Bellus has a full HSPA/LTE DAS in the mall although it’s not reflected on a cell tower map. Newmarket has a large population and the mall is usually very busy so there’s no excuse why Rogers should be slacking off there.
    Last edited by toolcube; 01-13-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    The cell tower map database update of January 2 shows that Rogers finally spent some money in Pickering! They added a tower on the roof of the Pickering Town Centre (height 17.6 m). Bell/TELUS already had a DAS there (height 3 m).

The next time my girlfriend is shopping there I’ll have to see if the previous areas of no service with her phone have been fixed.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Nice! Hopefully they did. On another note, the cell tower map is still very inaccurate. There are quite a few towers missing on the map.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    I was in Schomberg yesterday for an event pretty much right near the water tower where Bell has a macro. Rogers was okay outside, usually held band 12 outside of town, in town in it was a mix of B12/iffy 3G. Inside it was the same, in basement areas you were in EDGE/No service country. I got about 1-7mpbs down when I had B12. The Bell macro had 256QAM and was apparently 1x1 MIMO, on Telus I had about 70 down and 50 up.

I am seeing Rogers' efforts in putting capital into their network slowly materialize. Speeds haven't really changed significantly in the GTA, IMO, but I have noticed a Rogers DAS in the science centre (which I've never noticed), a new macro in Waterloo near King/University where they were previously quite deficient indoors, a new monopole in progress at Woodbine and O'Connor in East York and some further refarming of B2 in downtown Toronto.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast