Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T or Verizon MVNOs with Good Customer Service

Feedback Score

AT&T or Verizon MVNOs with Good Customer Service

I'm helping several people get setup with new cell phone plans.

For this group:
    * Customer service will be important.
    * Their preferred networks are AT&T or Verizon.

The three that I'm aware of that fit those considerations are:
    * Boom
    * PureTalk
    * Consumer Cellular

Any other suggestions to add to that list, or thoughts about the ones I listed?

Carrier(s)
    Boom Red
    Feedback Score
    How much are they thinking about spending per month / what kind of service? The choices are different at $40-50 per month than at $20 per month. For those spending on the higher end, Verizon Prepaid is competitive.

Maybe someone can comment on Cricket, an AT&T sub.

You may know more than me - but someone else in your position mentioned using CallingMart for refills to save a few $.

Feedback Score
    what about the prepaid service through at&t or verizon? a person could go into any verizon or at&t store for help

Feedback Score
    Whoops, meant to include these details:
    * They currently spend $78 a month for 3 lines on T-Mobile postpaid (very old phones and plan), and current budget is the same.
    * As far as data, I'll get as much as I can for them within that budget.

From what I've looked at, going directly with AT&T prepaid or Verizon prepaid, both seemed to get much more expensive. But I rarely look at going those routes, so I might have missed the details, am I wrong?

Feedback Score
    Well, if one is over 55 you can get two lines, unlimited everything, for $60 on T-Mobile. The 55+ plan is a great deal. AT&T Prepaid is probably the best cs on the AT&T side, PureTalk is pretty good too, and Consumer Cellular is reported to be good. Not sure what you're going to find at $78 for three lines except very limited plans. On AT&T Prepaid you can get three lines on the $35 plan for a total of $75 after multiline discounts, plus you'll have to add in sales tax but not all the usual nonsense "taxes and fees." That gives you 1GB per line.

Feedback Score
    Understood - in that price range, choices will be more restrictive.

I would keep them on T-Mobile, but it appears once on T-Mobile prepaid or an MVNO, the coverage won't be sufficient in their areas.

Boom and Puretalk both have 1GB of data and unlimited talk and text. Consumer Cellular looks like it might come in about the same for data and price. I have direct experience with Boom and I like their customer service. Puretalk and Consumer Cellular I don't have first hand knowledge of, but I've heard good things. Any thoughts about those last two, or any others that I should consider?

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that PureTalk charges taxes and some fees now--not sure how much and they won't give you a final price until after you have signed up. However, in my previous experience they are one of the best in terms of cs on an AT&T prepaid service. You speak to real human beings located here in the USA. They actually fix things quickly and efficiently. One of the advantages of using AT&T prepaid is that you can walk into a store to set things up, usually getting free SIM cards in my experience. I have walked into a store and walked out 15 minutes later with my phone service up and working. Typically when you do it with one of the others you have to set things up yourself and wait overnight for the number porting, etc.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    Understood - in that price range, choices will be more restrictive.

I would keep them on T-Mobile, but it appears once on T-Mobile prepaid or an MVNO, the coverage won't be sufficient in their areas.

Boom and Puretalk both have 1GB of data and unlimited talk and text. Consumer Cellular looks like it might come in about the same for data and price. I have direct experience with Boom and I like their customer service. Puretalk and Consumer Cellular I don't have first hand knowledge of, but I've heard good things. Any thoughts about those last two, or any others that I should consider?
    Consumer Cellular will run about $70 plus tax for 3 lines, unlimited talk & text and 3GB of shared data with the current rate plans as a new customer. Taxes vary by state but figure $80 to $85 out the door. 5% (or is it $5? Can't remember) discount for AARP members.

Feedback Score
    Like others have said, I think At&t stores treat Prepaid customers the same as Postpaid. Verizon stores aren't quite there yet but they do have to help Prepaid Verizon customers. The few retired friends I've steered toward AT&t Prepaid have used the stores and received excellent customer service.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Puretalk offers 10% off two lines and 15% off three, so that offsets the tax a bit. Me and my daughter pay $40 and change, she is on the $29/3 gb plan and I am grandfathered on a $10 plan. Porting was a breeze, and when I had issues with data, they were fantastic.

Feedback Score
    Did I miss how much T,T & D is sought & a maximum price point? And if new phones are required price/performance limits?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 07.02.18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Did I miss how much T,T & D is sought & a maximum price point? And if new phones are required price/performance limits?
    Hi zapjb. I can summarize below.

Phones:
    * Current phones are old Nokia's with a million miles and the scars to prove it.
    * The Moto E4 seemed like a good budget phone to purchase, but I'm open to suggestions.

Talk, Text, and Data:
    * I'll see their current bill shortly, hopefully the number of minutes used.
    * For text and data, it's a complete unknown, as two of them have never even used those features but are interested.
    * Since there are variables, I'm using their current cell plan budget as the guideline, $78, and choosing what I think will fit them a best I can, and hopefully pairing them with a company that has a better customer experience.
    * Over a few months of use they'll adjust to the appropriate level of service for budget and T,T & D needs. I thought it would be good to start them each with at least: Talk 1000 minutes, Data 1GB, and Text I still don't know yet thought most plans I've looked at have unlimited included.

Sorry those aren't more concrete numbers for T,T & D.

Feedback Score
    How much hand holding do they require & do they need physical stores?

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essentials Plan
    Feedback Score
    I have used both Boom! and PureTalk in the past and can assure you that they have much better customer service than most of the other MVNOs. The only unusual thing about PureTalk is that you have an account number that you log on with which is not your phone number nor is it your SIM card number. But if you copy it to Notepad or Notes on the Mac and save it, you can paste it into your account to log in. On the plus side for PureTalk, you can buy the SIM card and refill cards at your local Kmart.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I have used both Boom! and PureTalk in the past and can assure you that they have much better customer service than most of the other MVNOs. The only unusual thing about PureTalk is that you have an account number that you log on with which is not your phone number nor is it your SIM card number. But if you copy it to Notepad or Notes on the Mac and save it, you can paste it into your account to log in. On the plus side for PureTalk, you can buy the SIM card and refill cards at your local Kmart.
    What? A local Kmart? The 8 Kmart stores that used to be within a 20 minute drive from me are now ALL CLOSED!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast