Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T or Verizon MVNOs with Good Customer Service

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essentials Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What? A local Kmart? The 8 Kmart stores that used to be within a 20 minute drive from me are now ALL CLOSED!?
    Well, there's probably one still open somewhere. But you better get there fast because there's a good chance it's scheduled to close permanently by the end of the year.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    At&t prepaid is a hit or miss in stores..I've had a decent experience and one was a complete joke with the rep telling me they don't handle prepaid. THis was at a corporate store, so go figure. At&t and Verizon c/s on the prepaid side is very poor..try getting your questions answered before you jump in. What about MintSim? I have 2 biz lines on them and I'm very impressed with c/s, website, practically no waiting on hold, and solid coverage with data much faster than Att/Verizon. Mint has a buy 3 months/get 3 months free and that's a very sweet deal.

Feedback Score
    I'm afraid I don't have the patience for customer service travails. Before I get to the point of numerous long calls and chats trying to get something resolved, I'd just port elsewhere. In this respect, it's not customer service quality that I choose as much as it's trying to pick an MVNO with a strong likelihood of never needing support (beyond, say, moving to a new SIM card).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    I'm afraid I don't have the patience for customer service travails. Before I get to the point of numerous long calls and chats trying to get something resolved, I'd just port elsewhere. In this respect, it's not customer service quality that I choose as much as it's trying to pick an MVNO with a strong likelihood of never needing support (beyond, say, moving to a new SIM card).
    Don't tease us. Where are your lines?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 07.02.18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    How much hand holding do they require & do they need physical stores?
    Physical stores: I think they'll be okay without one at this point, but if a deal is available that also has a store it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Hand holding: If for example they had to know how to input APN changes, that would probably suck, but two of them could do it with direction, the other could probably do it but would hate it. If it's about knowing how to use their phones, I'll be helping them and if needed they would probably take a class - one of them is already well familiar with using a smartphone, the other is tech savvy, and only one is completely foreign to this world.

Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    In this respect, it's not customer service quality that I choose as much as it's trying to pick an MVNO with a strong likelihood of never needing support (beyond, say, moving to a new SIM card).
    I dig that statement!

With that in mind, I'll amend my original request to be: good customer service or a company that has their act together (does that exist?).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Don't tease us. Where are your lines?
    In my extended family we have 7 lines on Page Plus and have for five years. Have only used PP chat to change SIMs or phones. Never had any accounts issues. I’m sure PP is as flaky as all the others; it just hasn’t impacted any of us yet. When it does, I’ll port.

Feedback Score
    I was all set to have this family make their plan and phone purchases, when I noticed people have been complaining about a problem with the Moto E4. I don't have the error verbatim, but it sounds like people are getting something akin to a sim card not found / sim card missing, which in turn makes the phone rather unusable.

Has anyone else with an unlocked Moto E4 had this issue, or know if it has been officially fixed for the unlocked versions?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    I was all set to have this family make their plan and phone purchases, when I noticed people have been complaining about a problem with the Moto E4. I don't have the error verbatim, but it sounds like people are getting something akin to a sim card not found / sim card missing, which in turn makes the phone rather unusable.

Has anyone else with an unlocked Moto E4 had this issue, or know if it has been officially fixed for the unlocked versions?
    I don't remember seeing any reports like this with the unlocked version of the Moto E4, which is the XT1768.

Can you post a link or two for where you saw this mentioned?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've not seen it on my officially unlocked verizon prepaid E4. Though it does complain periodically that there isn't a Verizon SIM in it. Which is true, there is an ATT MVNO SIM in it.
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't remember seeing any reports like this with the unlocked version of the Moto E4, which is the XT1768.
    Can you post a link or two for where you saw this mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I've not seen it on my officially unlocked verizon prepaid E4. Though it does complain periodically that there isn't a Verizon SIM in it. Which is true, there is an ATT MVNO SIM in it.
    You both might be right. To me it looked like it was possibly about unlocked and carrier subsidized in the posts below.

I read about the errors in this thread:
    * https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/...id/2220/page/4

And also gleaned related information in the reviews, questions and answers on Amazon for:
    * Standard Version - Without Offers & Ads
    * https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gene...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

Just to clarify, for the Amazon link above, the model number is MOTXT178901G. In the questions and answer section people state that it is the XT1768. Are these in fact the same model, or do I just not understand my model numbers too well?
    Last edited by twobytes; 12-11-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    You both might be right. To me it looked like it was possibly about unlocked and carrier subsidized in the posts below.

I read about the errors in this thread:
    * https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/...id/2220/page/4

And also gleaned related information in the reviews, questions and answers on Amazon for:
    * Standard Version - Without Offers & Ads
    * https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gene...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

Just to clarify, for the Amazon link above, the model number is MOTXT178901G. In the questions and answer section people state that it is the XT1768. Are these in fact the same model, or do I just not understand my model numbers too well?
    I bought the unlocked ad free version of the E4 from Amazon back in August of this year. Checking the model number it definitely says XT1768.

I was a little hesitant to buy a phone with a 5" screen, not much choice anymore, but have gotten used to the size; haven't experienced any problems like you've described in the other posts. BTW using it on big Verizon.

Feedback Score
    >Has anyone else with an unlocked Moto E4 had this issue, or know if it has been officially fixed for the unlocked versions?

Per the Lenovo thread, apparently there is a temp workaround and a firmware update.

The "no SIM found" error was also present on Moto G4+--perhaps other models as well, but that's the one I have. After much fruitless troubleshooting, I pinned it down to a firmware rather than hardware issue. But I couldn't fix it, and there was no official fix. I managed to get it replaced.

It's worthwhile to keep the problems in perspective. From the number of people posting in the above Lenovo thread, it's a small percentage. Plus, this particular problem manifests itself fairly quickly, and you have extended holiday returns to fall back on if you're affected.

I also have the Moto E4 retail variant XT1768. With respect to SIMs, it has seen extreme use--roughly 3-4 SIM changes per day for the past month. It has no problem recognizing every SIM.

The Amazon-ad variant is also XT1768, but ads aside, its bootloader is locked. For those who need it, root access is essential. OTOH, the E4 has poor community support, and ROM support is vestigial.

IMO, the E4 has poor value overall, even if it is the cheapest "universal" phone available. E4+ retail is on sale for $136 on Amazon (http://amazon.com/dp/B072ZZFJ65) and G5+ retail has been as low as $159 during BF. The G4 now starts at $110, and G4+ $150. The E4 retail variant is a well-rounded basic phone, with VoLTE support for Verizon and T-Mo, but at $129 SRP (and few sales) it's overpriced. The other Moto models have better value.

Feedback Score
    As to the OP's preference for not needing cs in the first place, my votes go to PureTalk and AT&T Prepaid on the AT&T network. Once set up everything works without a hitch. The one advantage to AT&T Prepaid is you do have the option of going into a real store and have someone fix the issue. My local corporate store will give you a free SIM and set your phone up for you, test to make sure it is all working, and you walk out the door with working AT&T Prepaid service. No monkeying around with APN settings, waiting for the port to happen, or anything else. That is worth a lot to many people.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    IMO, the E4 has poor value overall, even if it is the cheapest "universal" phone available. E4+ retail is on sale for $136 on Amazon (http://amazon.com/dp/B072ZZFJ65) and G5+ retail has been as low as $159 during BF. The G4 now starts at $110, and G4+ $150. The E4 retail variant is a well-rounded basic phone, with VoLTE support for Verizon and T-Mo, but at $129 SRP (and few sales) it's overpriced. The other Moto models have better value.
    That's great feedback. Truthfully, I don't want to have them get the E4, but they're not in the game to spend a boatload on a phone. If I could actually get the G5+ for $159, I might be able to convince them to purchase it, but who knows how long that will take for another deal to show up. I could probably get them to wait another couple of weeks. Today, with Targets $20 of each $100 spent, I have the possibility of getting them three unlocked E4s for $109.99 a piece plus tax. What to do.

Feedback Score
    Spoke too soon. Looks like I can also get the unlocked G5 Plus 2GB RAM 32GB Storage for $160 via the same Target deal. Is the 2GB too much of a limitation on this phone, or do you need the 4GB?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast