Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is the Essential Phone on Cricket?

Feedback Score

How is the Essential Phone on Cricket?

I've been with AIO/Cricket for about 4 years and like it overall, particularly the straightforward all-inclusive pricing (at least when you only have one line!). I also like that I have minutes, texts and data when I go to Canada and Mexico. My Nexus 5 battery is finally dying and I'm looking at the Essential as a replacement. I only know 2 folks with this phone: one on T-Mobile loves it and says reception for calls and data is great; the other is on AT&T prepaid and says his call and data reception is very poor compared to previous Android phones. I've heard the camera has mixed results, but I assume its no worse than my Nexus 5. I like the Essential form factor, although its surprising how heavy it feels--an extra ounce makes a huge difference for some reason. Mainly though, I need a phone with good reception since I buy it mainly for talking. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Moto/Lenovo comes to mind if you're mainly gonna be talking on your phone. It's crazy how manufacturers are ignoring what I consider the most important part of a cellphone!! The newer Motos have really good earpiece and speakerphone call quality and it doesn't seem to matter if you choose their budget or higher end models. I've also had good luck with Huawei and ZTE. Samsung has always disappointed me when it comes to call quality. The S4, S5 and J7 were horrible!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Moto/Lenovo comes to mind if you're mainly gonna be talking on your phone. It's crazy how manufacturers are ignoring what I consider the most important part of a cellphone!! The newer Motos have really good earpiece and speakerphone call quality and it doesn't seem to matter if you choose their budget or higher end models. I've also had good luck with Huawei and ZTE. Samsung has always disappointed me when it comes to call quality. The S4, S5 and J7 were horrible!!!!
    The Moto G5 Plus and 4G Plus both work supurb on AT&T, Cricket and T-Mobile. The 5G Plus will do VoLTE and WIFI calling on T-Mobile. The camera on the 5G Plus is not flagship quality but is quite good.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Works better than my LG g4 and G6.

The new update yesterday, improved my reception when I look at the dB measure.

But I did have to reboot an extra time (after the update related reboot) for screen freeze. I hadn't rebooted since I got the phone 3 weeks ago.

Love pure Android. I have a pixel that I absolutely love and this phone is very close in performance. EDIT: well.....except the camera. Its not as good as my pixel, but it takes decent photos now. I'm not a photography enthusiast, so YMMV.

For the price I paid at sprint (approx $175), it's a bargain.
    Last edited by indyzzzz; 12-07-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    duplicate post
    Last edited by indyzzzz; 12-07-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'm just waiting on my free sprint camera to come in the mail for my essential and I'm coming over. Is there a better place than Reddit to try and find and form cricket groups?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarlmcracken View Post
    I'm just waiting on my free sprint camera to come in the mail for my essential and I'm coming over. Is there a better place than Reddit to try and find and form cricket groups?

Dont you have to wait 60 days for the camera? If you are a sprint customer, thats ok, else you have to pay for 2 months. I dont think the camera is worth it. Its more of a toy, that you'll get bored of. eBay prices have dropped on the 360 camera, so its a hassle to flip as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
    Works better than my LG g4 and G6.

The new update yesterday, improved my reception when I look at the dB measure.

But I did have to reboot an extra time (after the update related reboot) for screen freeze. I hadn't rebooted since I got the phone 3 weeks ago.

Love pure Android. I have a pixel that I absolutely love and this phone is very close in performance. EDIT: well.....except the camera. Its not as good as my pixel, but it takes decent photos now. I'm not a photography enthusiast, so YMMV.

For the price I paid at sprint (approx $175), it's a bargain.

What was the promo for that price?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    What was the promo for that price?
    Sprint promo started the week before Thanksgiving and ended yesterday.

Amazon was doing the camera phone bundle and folks reported getting a credit for returning the camera, making their net cost about 280$. Not sure if that promo is still running, but it was a good option if you wanted to avoid the mess called Sprint

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
    Dont you have to wait 60 days for the camera? If you are a sprint customer, thats ok, else you have to pay for 2 months. I dont think the camera is worth it. Its more of a toy, that you'll get bored of. eBay prices have dropped on the 360 camera, so its a hassle to flip as well.
    I bought 2 weeks ago, camera promotion says it will come before Christmas.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Buy a xioami Redmi 5 instead

Feedback Score
    Android will never be as lag free as iOS, it never fails, from a $50 Android to a $700 one, they always fail no matter how "clean" you keep them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Android will never be as lag free as iOS, it never fails, from a $50 Android to a $700 one, they always fail no matter how "clean" you keep them.

iPhones do get laggy. It takes a while and is usually still better than fresh Android though.

Huawei's Mate 9 is an exception. It's "almost as smooth as iPhones even after a year in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post
    iPhones do get laggy. It takes a while and is usually still better than fresh Android though.

Huawei's Mate 9 is an exception. It's "almost as smooth as iPhones even after a year in.
    I've had all the samsungs prior to the 8 , and now the essential. I will say that my honor 8 didn't lag either. Huawei is good stuff

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast