Thread: Sprint plans thousands of new towers

Feedback Score

Sprint plans thousands of new towers

Thousands of new Towers...now that's language I understand.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20171207...nt-towers-tag4

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Even the most cynical observer would admit that "several thousand towers" will make a very significant impact on their coverage footprint and speeds. Of course, that only matters if it actually happens. I hope they do it. A strong Sprint makes every carrier better in the long run.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Great news all around. Good stuff.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I thought they had a bunch of rotting, unused towers from the nextel fiasco

Feedback Score
    We’ll see what happens. Adding new coverage in the fringe areas like the CFO said will help stretch the geographical coverage some so it’s positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Feedback Score

Sprint plans thousands of new towers

Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I thought they had a bunch of rotting, unused towers from the nextel fiasco
    Yep and they are still around standing derelict. But I suppose they would be in areas where there is already a Sprint FootPrint.

But I know it’s like Duh 🙄 ....why don’t they use all the towers they decommissioned with Nextel to achieve density for VolTE and In Building Coverage.

Feedback Score
    I hope this story is true. Though I don't use Sprint, I hope they stick around and get better as it's good for consumers. Improved coverage is the only way I see them reducing churn and really competing with the other 3 carriers. Even in 2017, Sprint's coverage is still shockingly bad in many places and even where they do have coverage, much of it is still 3G. I'd also imagine all the extended roaming they have must just kill their bottom line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I hope this story is true. Though I don't use Sprint, I hope they stick around and get better as it's good for consumers. Improved coverage is the only way I see them reducing churn and really competing with the other 3 carriers. Even in 2017, Sprint's coverage is still shockingly bad in many places and even where they do have coverage, much of it is still 3G. I'd also imagine all the extended roaming they have must just kill their bottom line.

That’s also areas around you. To say many areas is still bad yet you don’t use them is questionable no offense. Those that have sprint like myself and travel for work. In most areas service is good. Not great but good. And I have T-Mobile on my iPad Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b.lance0823 View Post
    That’s also areas around you. To say many areas is still bad yet you don’t use them is questionable no offense. Those that have sprint like myself and travel for work. In most areas service is good. Not great but good. And I have T-Mobile on my iPad Pro
    I have had phones using Sprint for about 4 years. I can confirm that Sprint coverage can be poor to non existent away from towns and major highways in central Virginia, Eastern Shore of Maryland and Delaware.

I used them for two years as my daily cell service. Around my home area they are as good as AT&T and Verison and better than T-Mo. I just knew that in rural areas I should not expect service. I was ok with that for the almost free price I was paying.

This is very good news that Sprint will be getting billions for a couple of years. It is very good for competition in the cell service market.

The 4 billion T-Mo got from the failed merger with AT&T is what allowed them to go from dead last and teetering on failure to a solid third place. Hopefully, Sprint will be able to use the money they get to improve the network to tie or beat T-Mo and quit having to pay Vz so much for roaming. They are going to have to get off Vz CDMA voice soon because it is going away.

I still have my doubts that the market can support four major nationwide cell services. I see the market for handset service as nigh saturated already.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b.lance0823 View Post

I have a lot of friends on Sprint so I feel like I have a pretty great of idea of what their current coverage is like. And BTW, I’m not trying to bash them; I hope their coverage does get better. I’m sure they’re good in some areas around the country; I just haven’t seen any examples of that. As far as my recent experiences with Sprint, most of Hawaii and almost anywhere outside of major cities in California are still really bad. I’ve heard the east coast is better so if I lived there I might be happy with Sprint. But there’s no arguing that they have by far the smallest native footprint in the US of the 4 major carriers. Maybe the tower buildout will change that.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I hope this is right -- this is what Softbank should have done in 2013. I don't think Son is stupid; I can't imagine that at some point in the last 5 years that neither him or any of his team never did the math for what it would take to go it alone and fix the network themselves.

My feeling is that he got blinded by the thought of merging -- had he been able to merge in 2013 it would have been an easier payday -- and I'm sure he grossly underestimated just how fast a network could grow if the coverage and speed issues are improved... T-Mobile itself is proof of this, along with really good marketing. Sprint has been improving their network somewhat -- and their subscriber numbers are improving somewhat as well. True, they are discounting -- but Sprint has tried discounting many times before, and it still didn't improve their numbers in the way that improving the network to the extent that they have before.

The question, as always, is if Sprint can finally execute. The biggest thing from that article is that Sprint finally, for the first time, talked about doing tri-band on every tower they own. This is the biggest, immediate thing they can do -- just getting 800 across the network will show improvements immediately, and the additional sites for fill-in will finally fix the areas they've long negelected...

So I think this is good news... let's see if it happens.

N

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keason View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    My sentiments exactly.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Even the most cynical observer would admit that "several thousand towers" will make a very significant impact on their coverage footprint and speeds. Of course, that only matters if it actually happens. I hope they do it. A strong Sprint makes every carrier better in the long run.
    If only they do it in the real world instead of in Oz, Neverland, or on the slopes of Unknown Kadath.

I recall when they bought Nextel and the coverage actually got worse in my area. Sprint apparently sold off the Nextel towers for scrap and abandoned the concrete tower pads.
    Strong Unions: Weak Workers.
    Weak Unions: Strong Workers.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    New array added on top likely by Shentel about a month ago on top of this tower which is owned by the Greenbrier Co Commission in Rural SE WV near the town of Quinwood. This is up in the mountains and I managed to get some decent speeds on both Band 25 & 26. And is actually the first and only cell provider that works indoors in this area without any type of Femtocell/Signal Booster. Shentel also has new array on several towers which hasn't been activated yet. They are planning on expanding more in rural southern WV.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app