Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Freedompop Global SIM will quit working on 1/3/2018

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Yeswap. I don't have any upcoming charges on any of my SIMs/accounts. I did see that one of my Global accounts had:
    10/5/18
    3:00 PM
    xxxxxxxxx
    Account Maintenance
    US$0.01
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Did you by chance ask them what the shipment status was all about? Using those deep links I confirmed that I don't have any pending or upcoming charges (which makes sense as the billing address isn't in San Francisco), so I have no need to cancel right now. I did contact FP through Twitter but no word yet on what shipment status screen from them.

The fact that they simply cut off service with no prior notification is... well I guess it's not a huge surprise given that it's FreedomPop.
    i didn't ask about the shipment status message but it's gone now that the accounts are disabled.

BTW, I've had that message on a WiMAX-only USB stick account ever since WiMax was shut down in 2015. Nothing was ever shipped. I never bothered to cancel that account because I've never been charged and it was good for a Freedom Friends benefit on my other accounts.

I did get emails last month warning that the accounts would be shut down at the end of September. I've received similar emails every few months with different shut down dates but those dates pasted with no loss of service.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Finally heard back from FP support today, and they confirmed that the accounts were deactivated, and the "shipping status" screen shows because there is no device associated with the account (I'm not being shipped LTE SIMs as replacements).

For those of you who still have working Global SIMs, note that all four of the Global SIMs I was managing were shut down the same day, despite them being from 3 different batches of orders. Given that they were all shutdown the same day, I'm guessing they're doing this by address or payment account (all were linked to a single Paypal account). If you have multiple Global SIMs, if I were you, I would suggest putting differnet names and addresses on each, and different payment methods. Then if one SIM gets shut off while you're using it (as happened to me) you at least have hope that another SIM might still work.

I'll also repeat that there was absolutely no warning that the SIMs would be deactivated. They just stopped working. Fortunately I have other SIMs with me at all times.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Finally heard back from FP support today, and they confirmed that the accounts were deactivated, ..................
    I'll also repeat that there was absolutely no warning that the SIMs would be deactivated. They just stopped working.
    Did they say why they were deactivated?? Lack of use or?????

Thanks for the update.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Did they say why they were deactivated?? Lack of use or?????

Thanks for the update.
    It certainly wasn't lack of use, as I was using one of them on a daily basis. Here's what FP support said:

Our Global SIM cards have been transitioned from our current 3G network provider to a top nationwide GSM network provider. This has caused most of the Global SIM cards to stop working as they have not successfully connected to the new provider. Unfortunately, your SIM card is among those impacted and has ceased to operate.
    I call BS on this. The "transition" was just them switching to AT&T with the LTE SIM. And if there was some new provider behind the Global SIM, it would be a hell of a coincidence that all 4 SIMs from different batches with different accounts stopped working at the same time, while other Global SIMs are still working fine.

Maybe it's alphabetical by name, maybe it's based on usage, but one way or another it seems they're going through a list and killing accounts.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My Global SIM was deactivated as well. Getting the same Order Status page as djphilosophy.

No email about it. I have been using it every month and making calls as well. Never paid any monthly charges on it. Has been free since activation about 2+ years ago. I did order the LTE SIM upgrade couple of months back. Was just about to switch over to the LTE SIM on a new phone, too. Tried my old phone with the Global SIM. I'm prompted for a Sign in to network which fails. Connects to the network, but no data.

Thanks to Yeswap for the link to the overview page.
    Upgrade link disappeared, so had to google around.

my.freedompop.com/phone-numbers/service-upgrade

After the transfer, my account is back to normal and service is working again. I did lose some data because they prorated it since I was in the middle of my service period. So if you still want to use/keep your account, you can just upgrade to the LTE SIM fairly easily. Hope that $0.99 upgrade LTE sim link is still working...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Slepy; 10-09-2018 at 06:15 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles $4.99 might be making a difference.

It certainly wasn't lack of use, as I was using one of them on a daily basis. Here's what FP support said:
    I call BS on this. The "transition" was just them switching to AT&T with the LTE SIM. And if there was some new provider behind the Global SIM, it would be a hell of a coincidence that all 4 SIMs from different batches with different accounts stopped working at the same time, while other Global SIMs are still working fine.
    Maybe it's alphabetical by name, maybe it's based on usage, but one way or another it seems they're going through a list and killing accounts.
    I think the magic difference is that I am paying the $4.99 a month.
    Has anyone who has been paying the $4.99 been deactivated?
    Is anyone else here paying the $4.99 a month??
    I probably continue with it because of inertia and not value.

Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Upgrade link disappeared, so had to google around.
    my.freedompop.com/phone-numbers/service-upgrade
    The link still shows on my Global SIM FP page at the top.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think the magic difference is that I am paying the $4.99 a month.
    Has anyone who has been paying the $4.99 been deactivated?
    Is anyone else here paying the $4.99 a month??
    I would guess that if you have a paying account they'll keep it alive as long as they still have a contract with the underlying provider.

But as for value, yeah, at $5/month or $60/year, you'd be much better off getting an international SIM from DrimSIM, assuming your reason for keeping the Global SIM is international use. Cheaper data in Europe, plus service in all the countries the Global SIM doesn't cover - and the data is pay-as-you-go so no worries about a 250MB monthly limit.

Feedback Score
    same thing happened to me.
    Global sim is deactivated without any email notice.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I would guess that if you have a paying account they'll keep it alive as long as they still have a contract with the underlying provider.

But as for value, yeah, at $5/month or $60/year, you'd be much better off getting an international SIM from DrimSIM, assuming your reason for keeping the Global SIM is international use. Cheaper data in Europe, plus service in all the countries the Global SIM doesn't cover - and the data is pay-as-you-go so no worries about a 250MB monthly limit.
    Hmmm...how did I not know about DrimSIM? If I understand it correctly there's no need to keep a balance; instead DrimSIM charges/bills after usage. Is that correct?

Have you used DrimSIM? Is it reliable/trustworthy? Should I worry that it's based in Moscow? Do you know of a way to get the SIM card cheaper than €10.00 or is there a promo code? Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hmmm...how did I not know about DrimSIM? If I understand it correctly there's no need to keep a balance; instead DrimSIM charges/bills after usage. Is that correct?

Have you used DrimSIM? Is it reliable/trustworthy? Should I worry that it's based in Moscow? Do you know of a way to get the SIM card cheaper than €10.00 or is there a promo code? Thanks!
    I don't have one myself but I've been thinking about getting one - especially with my Global SIM folding. I do think it's standard prepaid: maintain a balance, usage is deducted. Don't know of any way of getting one cheaper. It's a Naka SIM, of which there are several, DrimSIM having the cheapest rates. More info in this thread on prepaidgsm.net.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I don't have one myself but I've been thinking about getting one - especially with my Global SIM folding. I do think it's standard prepaid: maintain a balance, usage is deducted. Don't know of any way of getting one cheaper. It's a Naka SIM, of which there are several, DrimSIM having the cheapest rates. More info in this thread on prepaidgsm.net.
    Take a look at https://drimsim.com/sim-card-for-trip-around-europe :
    Pay as you go
    We make deals with local providers to get the best prices for our clients. Then we charge per kilobyte and per minute. Forget about subscription fees and limited data packages. We charge on a post-paid basis, only after you make a call or use some amount of data.

Also https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...imsim&hl=en_US :
    Drimsim fits your phone, tablet or even mobile wifi-hotspot. Drimsim is a post-paid sim-card, so there are no data packages you have to pay for in advance — we charge per kilobyte and per minute after you’ve made the call or used some data. Still, our app shows you how much it’s gonna cost even before you’ve started.

Being postpaid seems like a really good feature to me. It looks like the only up-front cost is the € 10 for the SIM card.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I chatted with DrimSIM. As usual, djphilosophy was correct!

Kovalevskii
    In the case of subscriber’s inactivity (calls, messages, internet session) on an activated SIM card, the service of this SIM card is NOT terminated for 365 days, but starting from 366 days with no further activity, 0.5 Euro will be charged every month for reserving (saving) numbers for the subscriber. When reaching a zero balance, the SIM card finally ceases to exist and can not be restored.
    To prolong the service life for another 365 days, a single transaction (calls, messages, Internet session) is enough.
    The service life of a non-activated SIM card is indefinite
    we do not have monthly fees.

Okay. Thanks. So, just to make sure I understand, a top-up is not needed, just a valid credit card on file to pay for usage?

Kovalevskii
    You have to put some money on the balance and then use it.

What does the following mean? https://drimsim.com/sim-card-for-trip-around-europe
    Pay as you go
    We make deals with local providers to get the best prices for our clients. Then we charge per kilobyte and per minute. Forget about subscription fees and limited data packages. We charge on a post-paid basis, only after you make a call or use some amount of data.

Kovalevskii
    You put for example 5 Euros on the balance, and we will charge from the balance on the pay as you go basis.

Oh, okay. I think I understand now. That's all. Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

That is what I am hoping.
    And by inertia I mean laziness.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

I don't recall reading about this and I read everything on this site.
    I was wondering why I never had heard of it.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast