Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Thread: Freedompop Global SIM will quit working on 1/3/2018

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    The cost per MB is quite reasonable for a "universal" SIM. It compares favorably to domestic US PAYGO rates...
    It's €0.02/MB ($.023) for data in the US, but still, I don't know any US prepaid provider that offers pay-as-you-go data for less than 5 cents a MB. With FreedomPop starting to charge people "administration" fees, I'm thinking this may be what I switch to for minimal data use in the US.
    Last edited by djphilosophy; 11-23-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    It's €0.02/MB ($.023) for data in the US, but still, I don't know any US prepaid provider that offers pay-as-you-go data for less than 5 cents a MB. With FreedomPop starting to charge people "administration" fees, I'm thinking this may be what I switch to for minimal data use in the US.
    Depends on how "minimal" your data use is. The Freedompop yearly SIM can be got for $40, atm. 1 GB a month for 12 months at $3.33 a month. No "administration" fees. If your mininal use is in the hundreds of MB, the FP SIM is much much cheaper.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    He's talking about using data overseas. With the demise of the global sim, you can't use Freedompop anymore. This Drimsim sounds like an intriguing replacement.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I didn’t hear back from FP twitter support but it appears to be upgraded now the message went away! I’ll have to test it on monday
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    I didn’t hear back from FP twitter support but it appears to be upgraded now the message went away! I’ll have to test it on monday
    what are you talking about?
    what upgraded?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like what you want is a prepaid global SIM - something you can use as needed in any country but without a monthly recurring fee. Take a look at DrimSIM. In Europe, data is €0.01 per MB. So 100MB would cost you $1.13 at today's exchange rates (deducted from your prepaid balance). You just have to have some use once a year to avoid an inactivity fee (€0.50/month). More info here (find the DrimSIM section) or https://drimsim.com/international-sim-card.

There are others, but right now DrimSIM is cheapest as far as prepaid data goes.
    so i bought keepgo.
    initial pricing with sim = $50 for 1 gig, no matter the country.
    refill data: 500meg = $19, 1gig = 35, 3gig = 85, 5gig = 119, 10gig = 219
    3gig seems to be best bang for the buck.

im going on at least a couple of cruises next year: carribean (~10 countries) and panama canal/mexican riviera.
    i might even goto europe or vietnam/thailand for a couple of weeks.

i dont know which is cheaper for my needs: drimsim or keepgo??

edit:
    it's $200 per gig in Aruba for drimsim!!!
    it seems like all the carribean countries/mexico is more than $50 per gig for drimsim.
    but for europe and south east asia, it's MUCH less than $50 per gig for drimsim

so it looks like for cruising, use gokeep.
    for europe/southeast asia, just get a local sim since im staying a while instead of a few hrs?
    Last edited by fstuff; 11-24-2018 at 04:33 AM.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    so i bought keepgo.
    their pricing structure is $50 per gig, no matter the country.

im going on at least a couple of cruises next year: carribean (~10 countries) and panama canal/mexican riviera.
    i might even goto europe or vietnam/thailand for a couple of weeks.

i dont know which is cheaper for my needs: drimsim or keepgo??
    ie: it's $200 per gig in Aruba for drimsim!!!
    Sorry to break it to you, but it's not $50 per GB no matter the country, rather it's $50 per GB for the countries they support - and Aruba isn't one of them. I also notice some other Caribbean countries not listed (The Bahamas, St. Martin, Martinique, Barbados, Curaçao). I'm guessing you'll have no service in a few ports on your cruise.

edit:
    it seems like all the carribean countries/mexico is more than $50 per gig for drimsim.
    but for europe and south east asia, it's MUCH less than $50 per gig for drimsim

so it looks like for cruising, use gokeep.
    for europe/southeast asia, just get a local sim since im staying a while instead of a few hrs?
    In general it's always been the case with global SIMs that the best one for you depends on 1. what countries you're going to, 2. how you'll be using it once there and 3. how long the credit is good for before it expires.

1. COUNTRIES: First you have to make sure the SIM is supported where you're going (as we got into above). Second, many global SIM providers have a small list of countries where they price gouge you for any usage, e.g. in Nepal, DrimSIM costs €20 per MB, so any data usage there would very quickly wipe out any credit on your account. The only global SIM I know of that doesn't do this kind of price gouging is Piranha Mobile. They never have the best rates in Europe or the US, but their rates are always reasonable (e.g. $.03/MB in the US and much of Europe, $.10/MB in Aruba and Nepal). They have a history of other problems (see threads in this forum) so I'm not saying I recommend them.

2. USAGE: At $.10/MB you probably don't want to be using a gig of data ($100). For my use, global SIMs are in-between and backup SIMs: a SIM to use when in a country very short-term with minimal use: checking email during a layover in an airport, having data to look up train times when I arrive in a new country and haven't purchased a local SIM yet, and as a backup when my primary SIM in that country isn't getting service (good to keep your global SIM in your wallet if you can do so safely).

3. EXPIRY: A lot of global SIMs have minimum top-up/recharge requirements to keep your service active. In the case of KeepGo, while your SIM apparently never expires (which is good), your "1GB FOREVER*" data expires 1 year after your last recharge. So if you want to keep your existing data you need to recharge, and it looks like their minimum recharge is $19 (for 500MB additional data). So to keep active service with them you're looking at a minimum of $19/year on top of the $50 SIM card, which is steep - especially for a "global" service that doesn't work in many countries (but again, it depends where you're going). Contrast that with DrimSIM, Piranha and Truphone where there's no minimum top-up required. You just have to have some usage on your account (generally once a year) to keep your SIM and credit active. You might add $10 credit once every few years depending on your usage. Granted, these SIMs more geared for minimal data usage (don't go streaming videos or music on them).

I hope this helps. For the traveling you suggest you'll be doing, if you're in the US, it might be worth looking into service with T-Mobile, which offers free global roaming (at very reduced speeds), or Google Fi, where global data is included and each additional GB you use is only $10. At least for your cruise, it sounds like one of these would be good to have if you think you'll be using data in the hundreds of megabytes or more.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to break it to you, but it's not $50 per GB no matter the country, rather it's $50 per GB for the countries they support - and Aruba isn't one of them. I also notice some other Caribbean countries not listed (The Bahamas, St. Martin, Martinique, Barbados, Curaçao). I'm guessing you'll have no service in a few ports on your cruise.
    oh wow.. thx! didnt even notice that.
    so i did a price comparison of drimsim to all the NORTH & SOUTH AMERICA keepgo countries.
    95% of the time, keepgo was cheaper.
    drimsim was cheaper in canada, El Salvador, peru, and the US

In general it's always been the case with global SIMs that the best one for you depends on 1. what countries you're going to, 2. how you'll be using it once there and 3. how long the credit is good for before it expires.

1. COUNTRIES: First you have to make sure the SIM is supported where you're going (as we got into above). Second, many global SIM providers have a small list of countries where they price gouge you for any usage, e.g. in Nepal, DrimSIM costs €20 per MB, so any data usage there would very quickly wipe out any credit on your account. The only global SIM I know of that doesn't do this kind of price gouging is Piranha Mobile. They never have the best rates in Europe or the US, but their rates are always reasonable (e.g. $.03/MB in the US and much of Europe, $.10/MB in Aruba and Nepal). They have a history of other problems (see threads in this forum) so I'm not saying I recommend them.

2. USAGE: At $.10/MB you probably don't want to be using a gig of data ($100). For my use, global SIMs are in-between and backup SIMs: a SIM to use when in a country very short-term with minimal use: checking email during a layover in an airport, having data to look up train times when I arrive in a new country and haven't purchased a local SIM yet, and as a backup when my primary SIM in that country isn't getting service (good to keep your global SIM in your wallet if you can do so safely).

3. EXPIRY: A lot of global SIMs have minimum top-up/recharge requirements to keep your service active. In the case of KeepGo, while your SIM apparently never expires (which is good), your "1GB FOREVER*" data expires 1 year after your last recharge. So if you want to keep your existing data you need to recharge, and it looks like their minimum recharge is $19 (for 500MB additional data). So to keep active service with them you're looking at a minimum of $19/year on top of the $50 SIM card, which is steep - especially for a "global" service that doesn't work in many countries (but again, it depends where you're going). Contrast that with DrimSIM, Piranha and Truphone where there's no minimum top-up required. You just have to have some usage on your account (generally once a year) to keep your SIM and credit active. You might add $10 credit once every few years depending on your usage. Granted, these SIMs more geared for minimal data usage (don't go streaming videos or music on them).

I hope this helps. For the traveling you suggest you'll be doing, if you're in the US, it might be worth looking into service with T-Mobile, which offers free global roaming (at very reduced speeds), or Google Fi, where global data is included and each additional GB you use is only $10. At least for your cruise, it sounds like one of these would be good to have if you think you'll be using data in the hundreds of megabytes or more.
    if im going by cruise, im only going to be in that country for just hrs.
    for countries far from shore (ie: napal), i plan on buying a local sim since i plan to be there for days if not a week.
    heck, even for European counties by cruise ship, i could get a local sim since it's considered local for all of the EU. (ie: 3 from England??)

as for top up, i dont know how much data im going to use.
    i have a bad habit of uploading facebook pics of my excursions the same day instead of waiting till after i get home.

yeah, keepgo is only useful in countries they have service in.
    i have a month to decide if i want to return keepgo for full refund.

i live in the US and have Freedompop as my main phone.
    my phone # is a google voice #. so i switch sim chips when i run out of each sim's 250meg data limit.

thx for the detailed and thought out advice!
    Last edited by fstuff; 11-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm unfortunate enough to be a Canadian registered with Canadian billing address but San Francisco telephone number.
    Has anyone had success in getting the taxes waived if they don't live in the state of California?

I'm on the free plan, and it doesn't make sense for me. If support wouldn't budge and I'm probably going to cancel and re-register with a new number.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by ShocWave View Post
    I'm unfortunate enough to be a Canadian registered with Canadian billing address but San Francisco telephone number.
    Has anyone had success in getting the taxes waived if they don't live in the state of California?

I'm on the free plan, and it doesn't make sense for me. If support wouldn't budge and I'm probably going to cancel and re-register with a new number.
    Have you actually been charged something?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    keepgo update:

even tho it says it's available in mexico, i didnt get any service in costa maya or Cozumel

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    keepgo update:

even tho it says it's available in mexico, i didnt get any service in costa maya or Cozumel
    Oh...that's not good! Thanks for the report!

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Oh...that's not good! Thanks for the report!
    hm.. i cant edit my post?

also wanted to say that im probably NOT going to return the keepGo sim because i bought it with a 15% coupon.
    so it costs me $42.50.

and because im going on other cruises next year and it's still cheaper than drsim.
    keepgo website says it will work in most of those ports. and those it doesnt work in, im ok with.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35