Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Thread: Freedompop Global SIM will quit working on 1/3/2018

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Hey, at least is is not China or North Korea!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Have you used DrimSIM? Is it reliable/trustworthy? Should I worry that it's based in Moscow
    Hey, at least is is not China or North Korea!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    I don't recall reading about this and I read everything on this site.
    I was wondering why I never had heard of it.
    I was wondering why you had not heard of this as well.

I was thinking I had not seen rfranzq ever mention this carrier/service before.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score
    Perhaps it's time to start a dedicated thread for DrimSIM.

Feedback Score
    Two data points on the Global SIM cancellation issue.

I have 2 Global SIMS: one purchased long ago that has an associated telephone number; one that came with my Novatel MiFi2 and that is a data-only SIM (no associated phone number).

(1) I just got back from a trip to California, flying in and out of San Jose. I happened to have my first Global SIM with me in a Moto E. I tested it on 10/13 for data use and it worked, although only at Edge speeds (is that SIM -- using the "foggmobile" apn -- still 3UK and roaming on T-Mobile? Is the Edge-only due to the fact that TMo has refarmed its "3G" freqs?) That SIM renewed just fine yesterday, 10/14, for another month. It shows up as valid and current on https://my.freedompop.com/overview and I was able to use it for outbound calls just fine.

(2) I just checked the Global SIP that came with the MiFi2. DOA. It is showing the "order status" stuff that the rest of you see. If I go to https://my.freedompop.com/billing I can see that the account renewed for free on 10/8. I last used it without issue on 9/24.

I get the offer to upgrade to an LTE SIM, but I am disinclined to do so for the $6.99 shipping. I happen to have an unused BestBuy dollar SIM in a drawer. Any way to get that on this existing account without paying whatever the current required topup amount might be ($10? $15?). I was able to add one of those a while back to my defunct FreedomSleeve account but it was a pain...

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    (is that SIM -- using the "foggmobile" apn -- still 3UK and roaming on T-Mobile? Is the Edge-only due to the fact that TMo has refarmed its "3G" freqs?)
    Yes, though some regions may still be running T-Mo 3G. Last time I was in Chicago (early June) I had 3G. But otherwise you fall back to EDGE because LTE isn't supported on the Global SIM (in the US or anywhere else).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Yes, though some regions may still be running T-Mo 3G. Last time I was in Chicago (early June) I had 3G. But otherwise you fall back to EDGE because LTE isn't supported on the Global SIM (in the US or anywhere else).
    I live in Chicago so that's why I was unsure. I have always seen 3G-ish speeds (4-5 Mbps DL) here using that SIM. I just checked to verify that I still see HSDPA, and just did a speed text and got 5.48/3.97. Can't recall for sure if I've ever seen HSPA+ when the winds are blowing in the right direction... ;-P

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile 3G still exists in many areas (and most urban areas) in the US. The speed may be not great but T-Mobile 3G is fully usable unless you stream HD video. The problem is that T-Mobile's 3G is running on UMTS Band 4 1700MHz and majority of unlocked/non-T-Mobile/AT&T/etc. low and middle-range phones (even some high-end phones) does not support this band unless you buy the phone directly from T-Mobile. In the past, T-Mobile's 3G was running on Band 2 1900 MHz and this band exist almost in every phone. T-Mobile may use it still in few areas, but im most locations within US this band is not used by T-Mobile for 3G (it is used now by LTE).

It means, most of unlocked (non-TMobile) phones can not be used for Freedompop Global (3G that runs on T-Mobile network) SIM within United States. This is, probably, one of the reason (if not main reason) that FP is decommissioning this SIM.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26