Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Freedompop Global SIM will quit working on 1/3/2018

I just got the following email:

Mandatory account upgrade required.
    Upgrade FREE!

Get 5x faster speeds with our new LTE SIM! FreedomPop has upgraded to the best mobile network in the US to provide you faster and more reliable LTE 4G service! Upgrade your account today for FREE! Just pay 99˘ for shipping!

Please note: on Jan 3rd, 2018 your SIM will stop working. To avoid service interruption, we ask you to take advantage of our FREE SIM with faster speeds today.

I won't be upgrading, since I can get the LTE SIM for only $0.01 shipped through this link: https://www.freedompop.com/offer/awesomesimvoice

I assume we will now have to pay $5 or $10 to downgrade to free with either option.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Mandatory account upgrade required.
    Upgrade FREE!
    Isn't that special!
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I won't be upgrading, since I can get the LTE SIM for only $0.01 shipped through this link: https://www.freedompop.com/offer/awesomesimvoice
    Thanks for doing the math for me.
    I think I will just pass on this one.
    I can afford to have one less SIM.

update: I have not received that email [yet].
    Global SIM renews in 6 days.
    Last edited by rfranzq; 12-08-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: additional information

Feedback Score
    Well it was always too good to last... I've used the Three UK SIM's for travel (Germany, Czech Republic) and hoped to use them for an upcoming trip to Scandinavia, plus they worked in the MiFi hotspot. Now I guess the MiFi is useless. It was supposed to be unlocked but it does not work with the LTE SIM or my post-paid AT&T SIM. I'll just let them die and use the two LTE SIM's I already have. I really wish I could tether them without paying for the premium services.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I haven't gotten that email, either, but it's probably just a matter of time.

That's too bad. I used a couple of the global SIMs in Europe last year, and was looking forward to using them again in the future. Oh, well...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by der_lizzard View Post
    Well it was always too good to last... I've used the Three UK SIM's for travel (Germany, Czech Republic) and hoped to use them for an upcoming trip to Scandinavia, plus they worked in the MiFi hotspot. Now I guess the MiFi is useless. It was supposed to be unlocked but it does not work with the LTE SIM or my post-paid AT&T SIM. I'll just let them die and use the two LTE SIM's I already have. I really wish I could tether them without paying for the premium services.
    Works fine with the LTE SIM. Well without the LTE haha...

Due to firmware issues, it will only connect to LTE intermittently at best. You should receive stable signal if you set it to HSPA/HSPA+ (Preferred), so it will work better than the Global SIM domestically. Also it works fine with T-Mobile LTE. The firmware glitch only affects AT&T LTE for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    update: I have not received that email [yet].
    I've gotten the e-mail for five accounts at this point. It's only a very small fraction of the accounts that have actually received the e-mail. The same happens for promotion e-mails in general. They are targeted with some algorithm and not all e-mails are sent at the same time.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Might be a good alternative.

Familiarize yourself with this topic:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...?highlight=3UK

You too. Might be a good alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's too bad. I used a couple of the global SIMs in Europe last year, and was looking forward to using them again in the future. Oh, well...

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aenews View Post
    I've gotten the e-mail for five accounts at this point. It's only a very small fraction of the accounts that have actually received the e-mail. The same happens for promotion e-mails in general. They are targeted with some algorithm and not all e-mails are sent at the same time.
    Is it expected that all Global SIMs will cease to work on 1/3/18 based on what you know.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Familiarize yourself with this topic:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...?highlight=3UK

You too. Might be a good alternative.
    Thanks....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aenews View Post
    Works fine with the LTE SIM. Well without the LTE haha...

Due to firmware issues, it will only connect to LTE intermittently at best. You should receive stable signal if you set it to HSPA/HSPA+ (Preferred), so it will work better than the Global SIM domestically. Also it works fine with T-Mobile LTE. The firmware glitch only affects AT&T LTE for the most part.
    Unfortch, LTE SIM doesn't work for me even when I set the Network Technology to 4G, 3G, 2G. The network indicator shows "AT&T H+" and I can connect to the MiFi but I get "No Internet" message. I think maybe FP is blocking because my plan does not permit tethering (same as my post-paid AT&T SIM). I have not tried T-mobile or other MVNO so maybe I'll be able to use this with them, but not FPop.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    There may well be better alternatives than ThreeUK out there now in Europe. Has anyone done any more recent research or travel?
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    There may well be better alternatives than ThreeUK out there now in Europe. Has anyone done any more recent research or travel?
    There may be; but it is a known commodity by an established company.
    Getting the SIM here and topping up is doable and works.
    It also gives you a benchmark to compare other options.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Unfortch, LTE SIM doesn't work for me even when I set the Network Technology to 4G, 3G, 2G. The network indicator shows "AT&T H+" and I can connect to the MiFi but I get "No Internet" message. I think maybe FP is blocking because my plan does not permit tethering (same as my post-paid AT&T SIM). I have not tried T-mobile or other MVNO so maybe I'll be able to use this with them, but not FPop.
    Are you sure your plan does not permit tethering?
    I have used the LTE SIM to tether using two different BLU R1 HD phones.
    Just experimenting but could do a session via tethering to my laptop of HoFo.

Feedback Score
    Does “will quit working in 1/3/2018” mean “in the US and outside the US”? Or is this limited to just in the US - i.e., it will still work in the UK/EU?

Feedback Score
    aenews, do you know if it would be possible to replace existing FP Global SIMs on existing accounts with new LTE SIMs so that the configuration of the existing account can be retained without, for example, a top-up or a pay-to-downgrade?

In particular, like user der_lizzard, I have a MiFi 2 -- in my case acquired directly from FP with an FP Global SIM installed. It would be reasonably crappy for FP to sell such a thing, then stop supporting the included and required SIM less than a year after purchase, to charge for a replacement SIM (no biggie in my case; I bought one from Target for a buck delivered), and to charge a top up, or a downgrade fee (my account is already on the "free" plan) or some kind of "activation fee" to make work what I bought from them and that they broke...

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The tethering issue is that the AT&T devices have a separate tethering check built into their firmware: I can't tether on my AT&T LG Phoenix 2, nor can I tether on my AT&T Liberate Hot Spot (which is the same hardware as the MiFi-2) when using the FP LTE (AT&T) SIM. I can tether fine on a generic device.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast