Thread: Safelink SIM card

Feedback Score

Safelink SIM card

My dad has Safelink/Tracfone phone service on AT&T network with Tracfone branded phone (ZTE Jasper with only 4GB storage). The phone is very slow and does not allow installing more than few apps (as of now it has Whatsapp, Teamviewer, Chrome and Weather app). My dad complains that the phone is not responsive (sometimes he can not even dial and I was able to reproduce the problem) and also I can not install additional apps (no space). So, I decided to buy for dad unlocked Moto E4 from Amazon.

Now the question: can I just insert existing SIM card (same nanoSIM) into Moto E4 or it will not work (as far as I remember, Tracfone has "tradition" to bind SIM card and phone)?

Additional question: how critical VoLTE for AT&T network? As far as I know, non-ATT devices (including unlocked Moto E4) does not support AT&T's VoLTE.

P.S. Factory reset does not help to this ZTE Jasper: still very slow and does not have free space because of non-removable Tracfone bloatware.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    My dad has Safelink/Tracfone phone service on AT&T network with Tracfone branded phone (ZTE Jasper with only 4GB storage). So, I decided to buy for dad unlocked Moto E4 from Amazon.

Now the question: can I just insert existing SIM card (same nanoSIM) into Moto E4 or it will not work (as far as I remember, Tracfone has "tradition" to bind SIM card and phone)?
    With non-smartphones, TF does pair a SIM to a given phone. With a smartphone, swapping the SIM into another phone doesn't appear to be a problem, as long as you don't try to reactivate the original phone (or sell/give it away and the new owner reactivate it).

Feedback Score

Additional question: how critical VoLTE for AT&T network? As far as I know, non-ATT devices (including unlocked Moto E4) does not support AT&T's VoLTE.
    As hpham stated, a SIM swap should work. Or a BYOP activation.

VoLTE is a service reserved for the carrier's own customers at this point. There have been some exceptions, but TracFone itself does not have it now. Not sure about those on AT&T, but those on Verizon should see VoLTE sometime in the next year. Verizon is scheduled to shut down 2G voice end of 2019 and go to all LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    As hpham stated, a SIM swap should work. Or a BYOP activation.
    So, I can just insert old SIM into new phone, correct? I am asking because Tracfone CS said that this swap will not work but, as we know, the knowledge and usefulness of TF support is questionable and CS representative was not sure regarding this point.

VoLTE is a service reserved for the carrier's own customers at this point. There have been some exceptions, but TracFone itself does not have it now.
    Tracfone's ZTE Jasper (uses AT&T network) definitely has VoLTE (connection remains LTE while on phone call).

Feedback Score
    So, I can just insert old SIM into new phone, correct? I am asking because Tracfone CS said that this swap will not work but, as we know, the knowledge and usefulness of TF support is questionable and CS representative was not sure regarding this point.

Tracfone's ZTE Jasper (uses AT&T network) definitely has VoLTE (connection remains LTE while on phone call).
    I wasn't even aware TracFone had VoLTE, my at&t net10 sim doesn't appear to. She I'm paying for service.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

I wonder if the ZTE Jasper is just not sophisticated enough to change the indicator when on a call. Try an app like LTE Discovery or SigalCheck Lite to see what it's really using when calling.

Also, if you can still return the unlocked Moto E4, you should consider getting the Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 and an unlock code for ~$2 on eBay and save yourself $80 - $90.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Also, if you can still return the unlocked Moto E4, you should consider getting the Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 and an unlock code for ~$2 on eBay and save yourself $80 - $90.
    The Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 is now available again for $40 at Walmart stores (local pick up only).

Feedback Score
    Only reference I see to a ZTE Jasper is the Z718TL which runs on T-Mobile. T-Mo models have some features AT&T models don't.

Feedback Score
    Only reference I see to a ZTE Jasper is the Z718TL which runs on T-Mobile. T-Mo models have some features AT&T models don't.

I think you are right. I checked again the network using Signal Check App and using https://freecarrierlookup.com/ and indeed this phone/SIM uses T-Mobile network. This fact explains why VoLTE works on this device. So, my question regarding VoLTE on AT&T is irrelevant for now.

Feedback Score
    Update: It is impossible just to swap Tracfone SIM cards even between smartphones. But I bought Tracfone BYOP kit at BestBuy for $1.00 (3 SIM cards: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile), called Safelink/Tracfone support, they asked me what SIM I want to use (T-Mobile or AT&T, I selected T-Mobile because coverage of T-Mobile is excellent in my area) and in less than 3 minutes new SIM card was active in unlocked Moto E4.

Old SIM card and phone are deactivated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Update: It is impossible just to swap Tracfone SIM cards even between smartphones.
    Is that statement about Safelink SIMs or Tracfone SIMs in general? Many forum members, including me, swap Tracfone SIMs between smartphones all the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Is that statement about Safelink SIMs or Tracfone SIMs in general? Many forum members, including me, swap Tracfone SIMs between smartphones all the time.
    Probably you can swap BYOP SIM cards, but not SIM card that was initially linked to Tracfone phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Probably you can swap BYOP SIM cards, but not SIM card that was initially linked to Tracfone phone.
    With TF-branded smartphone, the SIM is "linked" to the original phone, but there's no problem using it in another phone. I used the SIM from my TF-branded Sunset in a couple of BYOP phones to test them out. Right now, I'm using the SIM from a TF Rebel 2 in my BYOP Moto E4.

Feedback Score
    Hmm. It is strange, when I inserted original Safelink SIM into Moto E4, there was no network signal at all (and the phone did not connect to any network after manual network search). But it may be related to the fact, that it was Safelink SIM and not pure Tracfone SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    when I inserted original Safelink SIM into Moto E4, there was no network signal at all (and the phone did not connect to any network after manual network search). But it may be related to the fact, that it was Safelink SIM and not pure Tracfone SIM.
    It's possible that something is different with a Safelink SIM.