Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Safelink Questions, Upgrading from basic phone to BYOP smartphone?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0

    Safelink Questions, Upgrading from basic phone to BYOP smartphone?

    Hello, new member, I hope im not asking obvious questions here.
    I tried searching and found some threads but a lot of them was 1yr+ old so here goes.

    I've got a safelink basic flip phone, The service counter is down to 53days, I have not received anything saying the service was canceled but I've never seen the counter get down below about 180 days.
    1 thread I read said they add 1yr of service at predefined dates.. I suspect I need to call to sort that out.
    I've delayed the call because I recently became aware safelink now has smart phones so I figured I should investigate that before calling.


    So here's my questions:

    1. Is it possible to upgrade from a flip phone to a smart phone? byop?
    Can I take my minutes with me? I hear the smart phone plans do not roll over.
    .. If so how is the best way to go about it?

    2. Here's the Phones I have, none of them have had service except the S4
    I had the good sense to yank the sim cards out of all of them before powering up.

    A: Sprint postpay (contract) Samsung S4 (SPH-l720t)
    .. Long completed a 2yr contract so it's in good standing.. but not sure what if any carrier it would support.
    .. This would be the preferred phone to use on Safelink if possible.

    B: Verizon prepay Moto E (2nd gen) (XT1528) (Best buy black Friday 2015)
    .. 2nd Pick for Safelink service
    .. TracFone VZ check rejects it.. But it's my understanding these are GSM unlocked by switching the network type.
    Could this be used on Tracfone/Safelink under Tmo or ATT GSM/LTE?

    C: Verizon Prepay Moto E4 (Unlocked) (XT1767)
    Been a lot of talk about this phone recently.
    .. I've read of people using this on ATT and Tmo TracFone, Fairly sure it won't on the VZ portion.
    .. This would be the 3rd choice for safelink.

    D: Net10 ZTE Z753G (Paragon)
    .. Can net10 be used on tracfone?
    .. Don't really want to use this but it's better than the last one on the list.

    E: TracFone A463G (Pixi Glitz)
    .. Crappy phone but it's a "TracFone" Currently using it as a security camera.

    Assuming I have something I could upgrade to on Safelink what's the best way to go about this?
    I Bought a BYOP 4G LTE sim kit: SKU: TFRTPKUNNA / UPC: 616960146995

    Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.
    Assume I know nothing because that's not far from the truth when it comes to Tracfone/Safelink despite my attempts at research.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,956
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you haven't re-qualified you will not get the days extended, you might even be dropped at some point..
    You may still be able to re-qualify online. Also your enrollment status should be shown online.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    They sent papers in the mail, sent them back, never heard anything good or bad, how do I check online? always been thru snail mail.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,628
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellularDecay View Post
    They sent papers in the mail, sent them back, never heard anything good or bad, how do I check online?
    You can try contacting Safelink through their web site:
    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...lic/index.html

    Are you the same Cellular Decay on miata.net ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ah I see, check enrollment status.. asking for ID# Not sure what that is have to find the last paper I got from them see if it has it.

    Nope not on miata, totally unrelated to them.

    EDIT:

    Ok was able to login after hitting forgot ID.

    Says enrolled, although it says last qualification was April 2016

    I don't think the plan is correct it says
    Feature Phone
    750 FREE monthly minutes & unlimited texts.
    *Unused minutes will not carryover from month to month.
    First off I think it's 250/mo (Im actually not sure but I know it's not 750)
    and they are rolling over so that much is wrong.

    Says application approved, qualification proof required
    So Im not sure the exact problem there.. They got the application but proof was not good enough? er?? I dunno.

    EDIT: Ok I uploaded what should be want they want.
    So let's assume recertification goes ok.. Let's move on to phone upgrades
    Last edited by CellularDecay; 12-09-2017 at 11:49 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,956
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tracfone is not using Sprint service. You need to decide between AT&T and Verizon using local knowledge and coverage maps..
    You need to contact Tracfone on Chat and see if the Sprint postpay (contract) Samsung S4 (SPH-l720t) passes for activation. Sprint may not allow it to ever be unlocked for use with another service provider, or an MVNO. There should also be a BYOP verification link on the tracfone site for checking compatibility.

    The Verizon Prepay Moto E4 (Unlocked) (XT1767) should be your second choice, it is superior to the second generation Moto E. I own and have used both. I am running the Moto E4 on AT&T. AT&T does not ask for the phones IMEI, just the SIM number. It will not pass for use with Verizon, so you have to swap in an active NANO SIM for Verizon service. Your best bet would be if the S4 passes and uses a NANO SIM, then you could use both phones by swapping the SIM around.

    I personally would not bother with your D and E choices.
    Yes, Tracfone also uses T-Mobile service, with unsatisfactory coverage for many.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,428
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm reasonably certain the S4 won't pass a check for Verizon, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

    You can check to see if it passes Sprint's FED check for use on Sprint MVNO's here: https://tello.com/bring_your_own_phone or with Ting here: https://ting.com/byod Note with Ting it will check for both T-Mobile (GSM) and Sprint (CDMA).

    I'm not familiar with SafeLink, but if you can have them send you an AT&T or T-Mobile nano SIM and transfer your service to that and use it in the Moto E4, that's probably your best bet. Just tell them you have an unlocked GSM phone and you shouldn't need to supply the IMEI.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,628
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellularDecay View Post
    I don't think the plan is correct it says
    First off I think it's 250/mo (Im actually not sure but I know it's not 750)
    and they are rolling over so that much is wrong.
    Different states have different allowances. For example, in Kansas, each month you get 350 minutes/unlimited text/1GB of data; in California, each month you get unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data. There used to be plans with rollover but you get a smaller amount per month; if you choose no-rollover, then you get a higher amount per month.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Tracfone is not using Sprint service.
    I know I thought the S4 had large band support, According to this website *Apparently I can't post links yet*
    But anyway let's put it like this it appears to be missing band support for 4g lte on Tmo, Att, and VZ so ya... I mean like zero support.

    It looks like it's rather crappy for use outside of sprint.. so it's outta the running which is just as well I had a lot of problems with it when it had service, We use it as a poormans android stick on the TV Via MHL these days works well in that capacity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You need to decide between AT&T and Verizon using local knowledge and coverage maps..
    I'll check but I think the big 4 have fairly similar coverage, I don't know about VZ but it's to much hassle anyway so it'll be Tmo or ATT and I think they're about equal where I live.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You need to contact Tracfone on Chat and see if the Sprint postpay (contract) Samsung S4 (SPH-l720t) passes for activation. Sprint may not allow it to ever be unlocked for use with another service provider, or an MVNO. There should also be a BYOP verification link on the tracfone site for checking compatibility.
    Ya it asks for Tmo/ATT sim#, if you do VZ it wants MEID, S4 fails, but I guess I wouldn't expect it to unless you know of a different page that checks another way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The Verizon Prepay Moto E4 (Unlocked) (XT1767) should be your second choice, it is superior to the second generation Moto E. I own and have used both. I am running the Moto E4 on AT&T. AT&T does not ask for the phones IMEI, just the SIM number.
    Wait Tracfone ATT or ATT directly? I kinda like the E2 better feels better in the hand, I know the e4 is superior spec wise.
    Anyway the E4 is on a relatives spare Tmo line.. but that's temporary, as soon as they need the sim back for something I won't have the service on it.
    That's why I still carry the flip phone and use that as my primary number, sooner or later the Tmo service on the E4 is gonna go bye bye, I just use it for navigation and looking up stuff like prices and things at stores, something the LG flip phone can't do.

    I wanted to get the E2 on Tracfone if the S4 doesn't work which I don't think it will it at least not well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    It will not pass for use with Verizon, so you have to swap in an active NANO SIM for Verizon service. Your best bet would be if the S4 passes and uses a NANO SIM, then you could use both phones by swapping the SIM around.
    Well I have an adapter.. but no, all the phones on the list use micro except the e4.
    I don't have any passable VZ phones I could feed tracfone to activate a sim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I personally would not bother with your D and E choices.
    Yes, Tracfone also uses T-Mobile service, with unsatisfactory coverage for many.
    If Tmo on tracfone is no different than T-mobile direct then it's acceptable, the Big 4 all have similar coverage where I live, well I can't say for sure about VZ I don't know anyone with VZ and never had it my self but sprint/att/tmo all seem about equal.

    D & E would be my last choices.. are net10's even possible to run on tracfone?
    But even the pixi glitz is better than the crappy LG flip phone I have now.

    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I'm reasonably certain the S4 won't pass a check for Verizon, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

    You can check to see if it passes Sprint's FED check for use on Sprint MVNO's here: *Had to strip out link* or with Ting here: *Had to strip out link* Note with Ting it will check for both T-Mobile (GSM) and Sprint (CDMA).
    It passes both those sights check, but ya S4 on VZ is a no go according to tracfone.
    So after looking up the band support the S4 looks like it's fairly worthless domestically on anything but sprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I'm not familiar with SafeLink, but if you can have them send you an AT&T or T-Mobile nano SIM and transfer your service to that and use it in the Moto E4, that's probably your best bet. Just tell them you have an unlocked GSM phone and you shouldn't need to supply the IMEI.
    Ya that's what I was thinking tooo, I bought a BYOP kit so I have a 4g lte SIM or should I ask for one sent?
    I still have questions about whether or not I can transfer my minutes to a BYOP setup.. or if I can move up from a flip phone to a BYOP smartphone in the first place.

    The E2 is still my 1st choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Different states have different allowances. For example, in Kansas, each month you get 350 minutes/unlimited text/1GB of data; in California, each month you get unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data. There used to be plans with rollover but you get a smaller amount per month; if you choose no-rollover, then you get a higher amount per month.
    Hmm isn't weird they would have the plan wrong in the account though?

    Do you know if you can upgrade from a flip phone to a smart phone? and can you carry your minutes to the new plan? from what I've read none of the smartphone plans have any sort of roll over so am I to loose all my minutes I have saved?

    I don't talk that much on the phone so I've got quite a bit saved up over time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,956
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is your E2 for AT&T or T-Mobile? Verizon will not allow the Verizon Prepaid model activated on Tracfone. T-Mobile can also be a problem.
    The Verizon Prepaid E4, once unlocked with a $2 unlock code from e-bay, can be used with Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile, it has all the bands.
    Walmart is selling the Verizon Prepaid E4 for $39.88, online and you might also find it locally, even though it is selling out of stock so quickly.
    Some bought it from Family Dollar for $24 a few weeks back on sale and with a $5 off coupon.
    I run my E4 on Tracfone AT&T so Verizon cannot even detect it in use, hopefully. .

    You can purchase a complete Tracfone BYOP SIM kit locally for $1. There are two kits: Old = TMFL, and new = Smartphone Only plans - NO TMFL Do not get them from Tracfone.com.
    They do have an e-bay store, but which kit will they ship? The old kits are hard to find now.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw...reless&_sop=15
    notice the first kit still references the $19.99 60M/90D airtime card so it is TMFL, if that is what they actually ship, still.
    You must pay attention to the wording on the front and back of the package, as to what you get, several types were sold.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,628
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellularDecay View Post
    Do you know if you can upgrade from a flip phone to a smart phone? and can you carry your minutes to the new plan? from what I've read none of the smartphone plans have any sort of roll over so am I to lose all my minutes I have saved?
    I think you should get answers to those questions directly from Safelink customer service. My daughter has Lifeline phone but it's through Assurance Wireless/Virgin Mobile. I don't know the details of Safelink/Tracfone program.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Is your E2 for AT&T or T-Mobile? Verizon will not allow the Verizon Prepaid model activated on Tracfone. T-Mobile can also be a problem.
    The Verizon Prepaid E4, once unlocked with a $2 unlock code from e-bay, can be used with Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile, it has all the bands.
    Walmart is selling the Verizon Prepaid E4 for $39.88, online and you might also find it locally, even though it is selling out of stock so quickly.
    Some bought it from Family Dollar for $24 a few weeks back on sale and with a $5 off coupon.
    I run my E4 on Tracfone AT&T so Verizon cannot even detect it in use, hopefully. .
    They are both VZ PP phones, Why would the E2 be a problem and the E4 not?
    I have the same thought as to run it on tmo or att Im not trying to run it on VZ anything.
    The E4 I have is unlocked via code but the E2 is unlocked out of the box, I just tested the Tmo sim in the E2, it took some settings changes via ADB to get it to operate on 4G but that's it.. no sim lock.

    Why would tmo tracfone be a problem?
    the E2 is missing the low freq bands for att&tmo but I don't think it'll be a issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You can purchase a complete Tracfone BYOP SIM kit locally for $1. There are two kits: Old = TMFL, and new = Smartphone Only plans - NO TMFL Do not get them from Tracfone.com.
    They do have an e-bay store, but which kit will they ship? The old kits are hard to find now.
    notice the first kit still references the $19.99 60M/90D airtime card so it is TMFL, if that is what they actually ship, still.
    You must pay attention to the wording on the front and back of the package, as to what you get, several types were sold.
    I ordered mine from tracfone direct off ebay for $1, Not sure where to get them locally for that price.
    I listed the sku/upc in 1st post, pictures attached so you tell me.. the back talks about triple minutes/data but I don't see anything that says triple for life.. so I dunno.

    It wont' have any effect on safelink anyway will it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think you should get answers to those questions directly from Safelink customer service. My daughter has Lifeline phone but it's through Assurance Wireless/Virgin Mobile. I don't know the details of Safelink/Tracfone program.
    Ya I head tried to research it before hand but a lot of the stuff I came up with was 1+ years old.. So I thought I'd try to get some answers from people who had done such a upgrade before contacting tracfone.

    I know I seen it mentioned several times that Tracfone will screw you out of minutes if they get the chance so I wanted to be prepared before attempting the switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,428
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Those should definitely be TMFL for TracFone. Again I'm not familiar with SafeLink, so I don't know if it would be better to use one of those SIMs or ask for one from SafeLink.

    If you're familiar with using ADB to get the E2 working with AT&T and/or T-Mobile, it should be fine to use that. The E4 is a better phone and easier to get working on AT&T/T-Mobile, especially for someone not familiar with ADB.

    I think your next step is to contact SafeLink and find out how to switch to a GSM SIM to use in your E2 or E4.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ok, I'll probably just ask for a sim then? ya think? I don't think it will do me any good on safelink save for later since they're apparently discontinued?

    BTW I bought the kit direct from tracfone on ebay for 1$ if anyone is looking for them.

    I guess all that's left is does anyone know if you can carry your minutes over on safelink when moving to a BYOP?
    I've got 2k minutes saved I don't wanna loose, but it's not a deal breaker.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    541
    Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I dunno, I thought Safelink was just that-- a welfare program providing a safe link......ya' know, necessary basic communication services for poor folks who can't afford the 20 or 30 bucks a month MVNOs charge for pretty decent service.

    Sounds like this guy is looking for a free ride on a bells and whistles-laden fancy phone with all kinds of services--- things that the rest of us have to shell out for from our own pocket.

    It's not right that we're paying this guy's phone bill!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM
  2. Going from basic phone to Iphone
    By darth54 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2015, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 01:44 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks