Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Safelink Questions, Upgrading from basic phone to BYOP smartphone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post
    I dunno, I thought Safelink was just that-- a welfare program providing a safe link......ya' know, necessary basic communication services for poor folks who can't afford the 20 or 30 bucks a month MVNOs charge for pretty decent service.

Sounds like this guy is looking for a free ride on a bells and whistles-laden fancy phone with all kinds of services--- things that the rest of us have to shell out for from our own pocket.

It's not right that we're paying this guy's phone bill!
    Well, I guess with Internet pretty much being a necessity, you would need a phone with decent specs.

Some people have a crummy home situation, so they want at least one thing that's nice. We may think it's foolish.

But people with money actually get more stuff by comparison (safer neighborhoods, cheaper food, ability to use coupons, rebates, etc.)

This is what I believe.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    CellularDecay will have to deal with a Safelink CSR to get the new phone activated with the Safelink program. If not it may accidently get activated as a regular Tracfone, which he could still correct. I would use the SIM from the kit and have them activate it new, with no connection to the old phone or its remaining service.

If you go to a phone that requires a plan with no carryover, than any transferred airtime will be wiped off with the next months incoming airtime. How well it goes depends on what you say to them and how cooperative the CSR.

You can always let your current Safelink phone convert into a normal Tracfone, but you will have to buy days for it somehow. Then you just start the new Smartphone as a Safelink program phone at the beginning of the Month. You may have a problem with them wanting to keep/put the same Safelink phone number on the new phone. I had someone I helped have a problem getting the old phone released from Safelink and converted over to Tracfone, as they would not release it until the phone number was moved to the new Safelink phone/account.

So do not count on doing what your wanting to do, go easily for you. Your dealing with CSR people whose first language is not English.

Feedback Score
    I dunno, I thought Safelink was just that-- a welfare program providing a safe link......ya' know, necessary basic communication services for poor folks who can't afford the 20 or 30 bucks a month MVNOs charge for pretty decent service.
    It is, But take it up with your congress critter, Im not sure when they started offering smart phones on safelink, I think about a year ago from what I've been reading, Im not trying to pull a fast one on safelink or anyone else here, This is something they've done to expand the program.. not trying to trick them into thinking my android is a flip phone or something.

Sounds like this guy is looking for a free ride on a bells and whistles-laden fancy phone with all kinds of services--- things that the rest of us have to shell out for from our own pocket.

It's not right that we're paying this guy's phone bill!
    Ya, best phone I have is a Galaxy S4 which is how many years old? 4? 5? what a fancy whistle's laden life I must live.
    Gawd forbid I wanna text on one of those fancy on screen keyboards where you don't type 9, 4 times for the letter "Z"
    BTW I don't think I have to BYOP, It appears they're offering free smartphones for enrollments anyway, heck maybe it's better than my e2/e4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    CellularDecay will have to deal with a Safelink CSR to get the new phone activated with the Safelink program. If not it may accidently get activated as a regular Tracfone, which he could still correct. I would use the SIM from the kit and have them activate it new, with no connection to the old phone or its remaining service.
    How would that be any less messy then having the service transferred? What I mean is I can only have 1 phone on safelink.
    It would also mean a new number which would kinda suck since all my contacts use my current # including my doctors, family, etc

If you go to a phone that requires a plan with no carryover, than any transferred airtime will be wiped off with the next months incoming airtime. How well it goes depends on what you say to them and how cooperative the CSR.
    I'll contact them and see what they say I guess, Loosing the minutes wouldn't be the of the world I don't talk much I think im getting 250 w/roll over atm.. but I could be wrong, I usually only use about 150 a month and it looks like the current plan is for 350 no roll over.. so I'd be ok still, just be nice if I could 'bank' them for an emergency, After all chasham already paid for those minutes, If they toss them out TF get's to pocket the money.

You can always let your current Safelink phone convert into a normal Tracfone, but you will have to buy days for it somehow. Then you just start the new Smartphone as a Safelink program phone at the beginning of the Month. You may have a problem with them wanting to keep/put the same Safelink phone number on the new phone. I had someone I helped have a problem getting the old phone released from Safelink and converted over to Tracfone, as they would not release it until the phone number was moved to the new Safelink phone/account.
    Interesting can you give me a quick run down how that went?

So do not count on doing what your wanting to do, go easily for you. Your dealing with CSR people whose first language is not English.
    Ya.. I've been reading chat contact is a better option than voice.. does that hold true today?

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellularDecay View Post
    It is, But take it up with your congress critter, Im not sure when they started offering smart phones on safelink, I think about a year ago from what I've been reading, Im not trying to pull a fast one on safelink or anyone else here, This is something they've done to expand the program.. not trying to trick them into thinking my android is a flip phone or something.
    A little humility and appreciation for the handout would be nice to see. Why not offer to three of your tax-paying neighbors to wash their cars and cut their lawns weekly while you're in the Safelink program and they're paying for your phone and service.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    A little humility and appreciation for the handout would be nice to see. Why not offer to three of your tax-paying neighbors to wash their cars and cut their lawns weekly while you're in the Safelink program and they're paying for your phone and service.
    Buddy, you are cold! I was surprised at your first post, but your second is completely out of line. I would/will personally give this guy an e2 to use any way he chooses, and I think you should give him something, too. A break!

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok, time to close this thread for political and or social reasons not related in any way to this threads topic.

BTW, if the last poster had stayed away or at least added an on-topic aside to their post, I could have addressed the off- topic trolling by the previous post with more gusto than this lame warning.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Please report lame, off-topic posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2