Thread: Using a mobile phone on a cruiseship

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Using a mobile phone on a cruiseship

One carrier I know has a roaming package but it has a disclaimer that the add-on package does not apply when using your device on a cruiseship. When I read this, the first thought I had was how does the carrier know you're on a cruise ship? Typically, when using a mobile phone (not satellite) you connect to cellular tower located on land. As such, I am confused on the disclaimer.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Do cruise ships now act as cellular towers or have a cell site onboard?

Feedback Score

Using A Mobile Phone On A Cruiseship

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

Can I make calls from my cell phone on a cruise?

vacation call
    Technically, you can, but it's not as simple as you might think. For things like taking photos and setting a morning alarm, your phone will still work. But making phone calls and surfing the Internet can be hit and miss. Depending on where your ship is at any given moment, you may or may not have a phone signal. When you do have one, it's coming through an at-sea provider (CellAtSea for Norwegian Cruise Line and Cellular At Sea for Royal Caribbean, as examples) and is considered a roaming charge by your cell carrier. Rates are typically very high. As of March 2015, Verizon, for example, charges $2.49/minute for voice calls, while Sprint charges $2.99/minute and T-Mobile charges a whopping $5.99/minute. AT&T charges $2.50/minute, or you can purchase one of three cruise ship calling packages if you're sailing on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara or select Silversea ships.

When you're in port, your cell signal will typically switch to a carrier from the country or island you're visiting. Roaming charges in these areas vary; you'll want to check with your carrier for the pricing for each country you're visiting. If you've got T-Mobile, check to see if the destination visited is included in the Simple Choice plan. If it is, making phone calls will only be $0.20/minute.

Can I send or receive text messages? Is texting less expensive than making a phone call?

As long as you have a signal, you will be able to send and receive text messages from a cruise ship. Even better, texting costs a lot less than a voice call. Most major carriers charge $0.50 to send a message; AT&T also charges $1.30 for an outgoing picture or video message. Verizon charges $0.05 for receiving a message, and Sprint charges $0.15, while T-Mobile and AT&T deduct incoming messages from your monthly allotment. Most carriers also offer discounted international packages, where you can prepay a flat fee for a set amount of text messages and/or data to use overseas; check with your specific provider for details.

How much does using the Internet on my phone cost if I'm roaming?

Data also is ridiculously expensive. Verizon charges $20.48/MB; T-Mobile charges $15/MB; AT&T charges $19.97/MB; and Sprint's charges vary by ship from $12 to $20/MB. However, if you turn off data roaming and connect to the ship's Wi-Fi (or local Wi-Fi if you're near land), you can use the Internet without incurring data charges. (Note that most ships charge for Wi-Fi usage, though. You'll need to compare data roaming prices against the ship's Internet charges to see which is a better deal.)

Find a Cruise
    DestinationDateFind a Cruise
    How can I make sure I am not charged by my phone company for unintentional phone use?

To ensure you are not charged by your phone company, you have two choices: Turn off your phone as soon as your cruise ship leaves port, or, if you want to use offline applications, put your phone into airplane mode.

What about the apps on my cell? Can I use them without paying extra?

You won't pay extra for using any app that does not require data or is not connected to the Internet. Apps such as games, food diaries and music players that have music already downloaded onto the phone can be used while your phone is in airplane mode without racking up any charges. You also can use your phone as an alarm clock, but you'll have to manually set the time if the time onboard changes. Any apps that must be connected to the Internet to work -- such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Spotify and Pandora -- will quickly rack up data charges you don't want to pay.

Are there any apps provided by my cruise line that I can use on the ship?

Royal IQ
    Most cruise lines provide at least one app for their passengers or interested cruisers; not all are for use while on your cruise ship. Some are targeted at people still researching and planning their cruise vacations. For those apps designed to be used onboard, you do not need to pay to use them for functions like looking at deck plans, making restaurant reservations, looking at shore excursion choices, checking your onboard spending and other similar activities. Some apps provide communication features like texting or calling other people on the same ship who also have the app. This feature can cost money, depending on your cruise line. Check with your cruise line to find out which app(s) it offers, which ships support app functionality and if there are any costs associated with using them.

Can I use the Wi-Fi on my cell phone?

Yes, you can use the Wi-Fi feature on your cell phone to connect to your cruise ship's Wi-Fi, but you will have to purchase an Internet package. Many ports offer free Wi-Fi to cruisers, but be aware these are open networks with limited to no security in place.

Can I video chat or use VoIP (like Skype or FaceTime)?

Unless you want to spend a fortune in roaming charges, you most likely will not be able to Skype or FaceTime while on your cruise. Additionally, most ships block these applications because they are bandwidth hogs. A few very select ships (Carnival Breeze, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Freedom, Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas and all Disney ships) have been outfitted with high-bandwidth, high-speed Internet and sell Internet packages that do allow for this type of use.

If I don't want to spend the money to use my cell phone, can I use the ship's phone to call home?

phone call on a ship deck
    Yes, you can use the ship's phone to call home. Prices are high but can be a little less than what your cell phone company will charge you. For instance, Royal Caribbean charges a hefty $7.95/minute, but Carnival only charges $1.99/minute. If you really need to make a phone call during your cruise, your best bet, budget-wise, is to wait until you're in port and use Wi-Fi calling or buy a phone card. You can also check with your phone carrier to see if there is an international calling plan you can purchase for the duration of your trip. Often an international calling plan will significantly lower the per-minute cost of any phone calls you make while traveling.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The cruise ships have a dedicated satellite connection to allow you to use your phone for calls/text/mms and the carriers don't offer discounted usage plans while on the ship. While on board the ship, the on shore connections are drowned out and are too far away to be of use. When the ship is within a certain distance from land, the ship cellular communications is shut off and you will use the on shore connection. This is nothing new.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GVRD777 View Post
    ...how does the carrier know you're on a cruise ship?...
    The same way they know you are roaming on any other carrier.

...Do cruise ships now act as cellular towers or have a cell site onboard?
    Yes, there is a cell site on the ship. It connects to the global telcom network and Internet via satellite. That is why it is so expensive. That, and you are a captive audience with no competitors.

Feedback Score
    Cruise ships offer WiFi packages which allow communication by selected apps Facebook messenger, WhatsApp etc. The WiFi is offered in tiered packages and an expanded app list with the starting price points under $10. A pacakage can be shared but only one user at a time.

Traditional cruise ship cell service rates start at $30 for 50 minutes of Talk Time.

We have used the WiFi package. Our last cruise offered the WiFi as onboard perk based on the stateroom booked.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Very interesting indeed. Things have changed since I did a cruise around 14 years ago. We went to Alaska and for the most part, I had no cellular coverage using my Nokia 8210 but did have it cruising north of Vancouver Island where we encountered many little islands. This was back in the analog/digital days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Cruise ships offer WiFi packages which allow communication by selected apps Facebook messenger, WhatsApp etc. The WiFi is offered in tiered packages and an expanded app list with the starting price points under $10. A pacakage can be shared but only one user at a time.
    I'd use none of that and just want raw data.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cellular data (without Wifi) is expensive while on the ship communication system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'd use none of that and just want raw data.
    Cruise ships have a premium wifi offering with faster data capable of video calls for a daily rate of approximately $15 + tax per day. Cellular service at sea will be even more expensive.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Unless things have improved, wifi connectivity onboard a cruiseship typically results in poor speeds due to congestion.

Feedback Score
    I'd just rent a satellite phone, depending on your plan it'd cost $2 a minute or less, a far better deal than using your own cell or the ship's phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I seriously doubt a true satellite phone would be that cheap per minute.

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It depends on the lenght of service and number of minutes, but yes it is that cheap.
    I'd go with Iridium, they have the best global coverage but I guess it'd depend on where your cruise is going.

Feedback Score
    On the newer/refurbished Cruise ships WiFi has improved considerably in the last few years. I have been able to skype a call for an emergency when I was away from the crowd. Our last couple of cruises WiFi was a “free” booking promotion.

On many ships multiple devices can share a single connection with only 1 device active to the internet at a time. Most ships allow free connection to the ship intranet which reduces the lines for in person customer service. Also shore excursions can be booked onboard.