Thread: puzzled about smartphone models and bands

Feedback Score

puzzled about smartphone models and bands

i live in south central ky in 42140 zip. bluegrass cell runs this area mostly with cdma, since i go to 37083 a lot which is a verizon area i bought a basic tracfone. it works perfect in 37083 and in my 42140 it roams but still works as i only have to redial the number. now for my problem, i have been told cdma smartphones won't work here as they won't roam, however when i put zip in to tracfone 2 phones my wife likes pops up its a ZTE® Majesty Pro, and LG Rebel 2 it however says the band is cdma on both. am i gonna be able now to use cdma here? has something changed to let smartphones work here? i hope so as the signal is great on my basic phone. thanks for any help, i want to get a phone before Christmas if i can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    i live in south central ky in 42140 zip. bluegrass cell runs this area mostly with cdma, since i go to 37083 a lot which is a verizon area i bought a basic tracfone. it works perfect in 37083 and in my 42140 it roams but still works as i only have to redial the number. now for my problem, i have been told cdma smartphones won't work here as they won't roam, however when i put zip in to tracfone 2 phones my wife likes pops up its a ZTE® Majesty Pro, and LG Rebel 2 it however says the band is cdma on both. am i gonna be able now to use cdma here? has something changed to let smartphones work here? i hope so as the signal is great on my basic phone. thanks for any help, i want to get a phone before Christmas if i can.
    TF smartphones don't roam. So, unless there is native Verizon service or there is some agreement with Bluegrass, those 2 phones won't get service in 42140. There are Verizon prepaid service maps on the internet you could check but they can sometimes be very optimistic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    TF smartphones don't roam. So, unless there is native Verizon service or there is some agreement with Bluegrass, those 2 phones won't get service in 42140. There are Verizon prepaid service maps on the internet you could check but they can sometimes be very optimistic.
    regular verizon works here in 42140 with cdma but verizon prepaid don't, or at least didn't last year when i tried them. i don't use a cell much as i only do when i'm out which isn't much, wife's couponing now and needs a smartphone is only reason we are dropping the basic model. thanks

Feedback Score
    regular verizon works here in 42140 with cdma but verizon prepaid don't, or at least didn't last year when i tried them. i don't use a cell much as i only do when i'm out which isn't much, wife's couponing now and needs a smartphone is only reason we are dropping the basic model. thanks
    Unfortunately, the new Verizon coverage maps no longer have a toggle for showing only Prepaid. It shows Extended Network for your area, which might have shown as Prepaid roaming on the old maps.

What about AT&T? Their map shows pretty solid 3G/4G in that area, with some LTE.

Feedback Score
    The networks seem about equal in my area but what's a good source to look at coverage maps?

Feedback Score
    Google for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon coverage maps, then look at the prepaid voice coverage for each of those carriers in the areas you want to use your device.

Quote Originally Posted by CellularDecay View Post
    The networks seem about equal in my area but what's a good source to look at coverage maps?

Feedback Score
    my wife is just gonna get a phone from a friend, a new post i have made asks another question. the reason is, i called tracfone and they were no help, the guy kept sending me to someone else. for us tracfone is the cheapest but man the customer service is not very good, nice and polite but they don't have a clue about their stuff. thanks again for the help.

Feedback Score
    Selectel would work for your roaming needs with CDMA. They charge $0.25/min. when in roaming. Texts are free. You can use 3G phones or 4G. Customer service is good.

I used a Moto G (1st Gen) 3G on their service and now my Moto G4 Play with 4G. It's very close to a Moto E4. Both my phones were/are unlocked. I'm in LTE a good part of the time but my travels put me in roaming often.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    my wife is just gonna get a phone from a friend, a new post i have made asks another question. the reason is, i called tracfone and they were no help, the guy kept sending me to someone else. for us tracfone is the cheapest but man the customer service is not very good, nice and polite but they don't have a clue about their stuff.
    TracFone CS reps should never be asked questions about how specific phones operate. It would be impractical to instruct them in this, as there are too many models with their own differences. The tutorials are fairly useful, but a lot of users don't even know they exist.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    This past summer, I drove though Kentucky with 3 phones. One was on Page Plus Cellular, which uses Verizon with roaming for an extra charge and requiring double dialing. The other 2 were TracFone BYOPs, one on Verizon and the other on AT&T. All 3 phones had SignalCheck installed on them to display carrier bands and frequencies.

When we entered the area of Kentucky that's covered by Bluegrass Cellular, the PPC phone showed roaming and I confirmed that I could make an outgoing call by double dialing, however, I didn't complete the call. The TracFone phone on Verizon showed and LTE connection, confirming that Bluegrass Cellular is has LTE service provided by Verizon through the LTE in Rural America (LTEiRA) program. In theory I could make a VoIP call over LTE cellular data, but I didn't try that. The TracFone phone on AT&T had pretty good service with 3G and LTE.

Of the 3 phones, the PPC phone with CDMA service through Bluegrass Cellular had the best coverage in the area that we drove through. The TracFone phone on Verizon had pretty good coverage with the LTE only cutting out a few times through the mountains. The TracFone phone on AT&T had the least coverage, but still pretty good dropping to 3G (HSPA/HSPA+) a fair amount and cutting out completely a few times through the mountains (a little more than the Verizon LTE).

So a TracFone on AT&T may work for you or if you can find a 3G smartphone that will work on Page Plus, you could use that on their standard plan - $10 for 100 minutes every 4 months or $80 for 2000 minutes every year and $0.29 per minute roaming.