Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Seeking confirmation on my plan to keep TMFL when upgrading to new iPhone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Seeking confirmation on my plan to keep TMFL when upgrading to new iPhone

    First off, a big thanks to everyone on here for posting their experiences and info. It's been an informative couple of weeks researching and usually I find my answers from you guys. So I'm hoping you can confirm for me, or set me right, on my steps to keep my mom's TMFL but still upgrade to a new iPhone and stay on the Vzw network.

    Goal: Transfer existing TF number and TMFL balances from iPhone 4s(BYOP) to an unlocked iPhone on Vzw network and keep/continue TMFL.

    Do you know if this would work?

    1. Purchase BYOP kit (that says 3x) with nano sim.

    2. Purchase Sim Free iPhone.

    3. Verify new iPhone is compatible at TF /activation/byopcollectesn/VZW site

    Now, is it just this simple?

    4. Transfer existing iPhone 4s number and balances to BYOP nano SIM/new iPhone on Vzw network
    Can this be done at the activation site? Or do we need to use the Chat feature mentioned here:

    Originally Posted by bw01
    Go here: TF activation/ byopcollectesn/ VZW and enter the IMEI of the iPhone 5s. It should come back as compatible. Assuming it does, continue with the following steps.

    Get on chat and give them the phone number of your current Tracfone/Verizon line that is on the Moto G4 Play. Ask them to give you your current balances for minutes, texts and data and your service end date.

    Then tell them that you want to transfer your service to a new phone and give them the IMEI and the ICCID (SIM #) for the iPhone 5s. They should be able to transfer the service nearly instantly and have you turn off the old phone and turn on the new phone and try to make an outgoing call.

    Have them verify the balance and service end date were transferred and check them in your account for the new phone.

    After you've completed the chat session and before you close the chat window, click the envelope icon to have the chat transcript emailed to you. Don't close the chat window until you've received that email. You can also copy and paste the chat session. This is so that you have documentation of the transfer and balances in case something goes wrong.

    The chat transcript will include a customer service reference number. You can also ask the chat agent for that number in case you don't get the transcript.
    5. Add Airtime card and watch it triple?

    I did score a BYOP sim kit that says 3x talk/text/data, it's in the 2 network box. So as long as the SIM is good, this should work? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,814
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow! Awesome research and citations there.

    Yeah, should work fine just as you proposed.

    The reason we recommend using chat is that some people with high balances have lost their balances trying a website transfer and then TracFone claims they cannot find your previous balance in their system. Using chat as suggested protects you from this issue as the chat rep is documenting your existing balance before initiating the transfer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Wow! Awesome research and citations there.

    Yeah, should work fine just as you proposed.

    The reason we recommend using chat is that some people with high balances have lost their balances trying a website transfer and then TracFone claims they cannot find your previous balance in their system. Using chat as suggested protects you from this issue as the chat rep is documenting your existing balance before initiating the transfer.
    Ok, good point, she does have a decent balance as she just topped up recently. I just found talking with the phone reps makes me want to beat my head against the wall, so the less human interaction with TF usually the better it goes But I haven't tried chat, maybe that's where the people who know what they're doing go. Or at least there's a transcript for someone else who does know what they're doing to figure out what went wrong.
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,814
    Feedback Score
    0
    You should be able to find the chat link from the TracFone website support page. It's usually a red + icon. Give it a try - just ask them to check your current balance to see how the process works.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,724
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miztressuz View Post
    I just found talking with the phone reps makes me want to beat my head against the wall, so the less human interaction with TF usually the better it goes
    Well, with Chat you're still interacting with a human. TF doesn't have Artificial Intelligence system yet (although some of their reps behave like robots)

    But I haven't tried chat, maybe that's where the people who know what they're doing go. Or at least there's a transcript for someone else who does know what they're doing to figure out what went wrong.
    The reps on Chat do seem to have a higher level of knowledge.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    4,552
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miztressuz View Post
    I did score a BYOP sim kit that says 3x talk/text/data, it's in the 2 network box. So as long as the SIM is good, this should work?
    Don't recall that anyone has posted that the old 2 carrier SIM kits will not work. That subject has been brought up in other threads.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    131
    Feedback Score
    0
    I figured best to transfer to a tmfl tracfone that uses nano sim and just transfer the sim to the unlocked iphone. I thought if you activated a sim in the unlocked iphone, it would marry the iphone to tracfone and it is no longer unlocked for use elsewhere. Correct me if wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,814
    Feedback Score
    0
    With chat you eliminate accent, hearing, and some human errors for sure.

    And if you enter your relevant information and requests into a text file ahead of time, you can just copy and paste into the chat window to make it go faster from your end.

    And you will also have a written history of the chat transaction. Don't rely on the email transcript, since it sometimes does not come. So be sure to copy the chat text and transaction number into a text file just in case the email transcript which you should request at the end of the chat never arrives.

    Quote Originally Posted by miztressuz View Post
    Ok, good point, she does have a decent balance as she just topped up recently. I just found talking with the phone reps makes me want to beat my head against the wall, so the less human interaction with TF usually the better it goes But I haven't tried chat, maybe that's where the people who know what they're doing go. Or at least there's a transcript for someone else who does know what they're doing to figure out what went wrong.
    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Well, with Chat you're still interacting with a human. TF doesn't have Artificial Intelligence system yet (although some of their reps behave like robots)
    The reps on Chat do seem to have a higher level of knowledge.
    Yep, which is why I was trying to figure out if it was necessary to use the chat as I'd much prefer to just use the web activation wizard But all your good replies about the chat folks have eased that apprehension.

    Quote Originally Posted by jshannon View Post
    I figured best to transfer to a tmfl tracfone that uses nano sim and just transfer the sim to the unlocked iphone. I thought if you activated a sim in the unlocked iphone, it would marry the iphone to tracfone and it is no longer unlocked for use elsewhere. Correct me if wrong.
    You do bring up a good point depending on where you buy the phone that could be the case. For me we're not sure exactly what model to upgrade to yet so it may be a Sim Free phone bought right from Apple or a used Vzw, either way it should stay unlocked even after putting in the tracfone Sim. Glad you pointed that out.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    With chat you eliminate accent, hearing, and some human errors for sure.

    And if you enter your relevant information and requests into a text file ahead of time, you can just copy and paste into the chat window to make it go faster from your end.

    And you will also have a written history of the chat transaction. Don't rely on the email transcript, since it sometimes does not come. So be sure to copy the chat text and transaction number into a text file just in case the email transcript which you should request at the end of the chat never arrives.
    Indeed, also a good point. I tend to copy/paste, screenshot, and ask for the email when I use chat features. I'm about 50/50 on getting the email with anyone I've talked to.

    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Don't recall that anyone has posted that the old 2 carrier SIM kits will not work. That subject has been brought up in other threads.
    I think I probably read them But after reading so much couldn't remember how recent the last data points where. My box was a little beat up from being on the shelves, still sealed, but so as long as nothing damaged the SIM I think this may work. I'm hoping its all good because I even managed to get it for a buck!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    235
    Device(s)
    Moto G5+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miztressuz View Post
    and ask for the email when I use chat features
    There is actually an email looking icon at the top of the chat window.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,423
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jshannon View Post
    I figured best to transfer to a tmfl tracfone that uses nano sim and just transfer the sim to the unlocked iphone. I thought if you activated a sim in the unlocked iphone, it would marry the iphone to tracfone and it is no longer unlocked for use elsewhere. Correct me if wrong.
    That is probably a good idea if your using an unlocked iPhone, but you will have to do that or supply a whitelisted IMEI if you're activating a Verizon BYOP SIM. But if you're using an iPhone locked to TracFone companies (Straight Talk, TracFone or Total Wireless), it may be better to activate it with its IMEI and included SIM, so that you can, hopefully, get it unlocked after one year.

    Quote Originally Posted by bw01
    The chat transcript will include a customer service reference number. You can also ask the chat agent for that number in case you don't get the transcript.
    Since I wrote this, I've never been able to get a chat agent to give me the "customer service reference number" that I get with an emailed transcript. However, I have been able to get a transaction number, if there is a transaction performed during the chat.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,724
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Since I wrote this, I've never been able to get a chat agent to give me the "customer service reference number" that I get with an emailed transcript. However, I have been able to get a transaction number, if there is a transaction performed during the chat.
    I always asked for and got a "ticket number" for the chat itself. If necessary, the next rep can use that ticket number to look at the chat transcript.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,423
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I always asked for and got a "ticket number" for the chat itself. If necessary, the next rep can use that ticket number to look at the chat transcript.
    Next time I'll try asking for a "ticket number", because every time I've asked for a "customer service reference number", they've said there is none.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quick update:

    Total success. I got a used Vzw iPhone from eBay that arrived the other day so we transferred my mom's service today through chat. I got the agent to confirm the balances and service date (a little reluctantly it seemed), then he asked for the IMEI #, SIM # and if we wanted to keep her phone number. I did find out that you need to ask for the email of the transcript before the agent ends it. I couldn't copy the text in the chat window so I resorted to screenshots but by the time I got the last screenshot, the agent had ended the chat and the email icon disappeared. (So if I ever need to do this again, I have to remember to click the email icon then screenshot!)

    As for ticket number vs reference number, the agent sent this to us when the transfer was complete: "Your reference number for the transfer is xxxxxxx"

    A couple minutes after the transfer service came up on the new phone with the TFW carrier logo; I checked all data, calls and texts worked, then I added an airtime card to the account to check the TMFL - success, it tripled.

    Thanks everyone! Happy New Year!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 06:23 AM
  2. Keep my text plan when upgrade to Droid?
    By <<M>> in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
  5. HELP!! Need to change service on my plan.
    By thetweaker in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks