Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What will 3G Moto G 1st gen work on?

Feedback Score

What will 3G Moto G 1st gen work on?

My Moto G was originally Boost, flashed to work on Page Plus. I accidentally let my 365 day Page Plus paygo plan expire and they then wouldn't let me reactivate it with them, saying a I need a new phone. Assuming it's because it's 3G. After multiple problems with their CS anyway, I'm done with them. What other VMNO's can I use a 3G Moto G with? I don't use it much, and especially very little texting, so I'm looking at Red Pocket, Tello, Ting, or any other suggestions, for $5-$10 a month. I just need service for now, an am waiting on a good deal on another phone, maybe a Moto G5S Plus.

So my post is not only what it work on, but which you'd suggest.
    Last edited by Jack9; 12-15-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    Expo mobile has some good plans. For limited use, I don't think any one else offers anything better. If they do let me know.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack9 View Post
    My Moto G was originally Boost, flashed to work on Page Plus. I accidentally let my 365 day Page Plus paygo plan expire and they then wouldn't let me reactivate it with them, saying a I need a new phone. Assuming it's because it's 3G. After multiple problems with their CS anyway, I'm done with them. What other VMNO's can I use a 3G Moto G with? I don't use it much, and especially very little texting, so I'm looking at Red Pocket, Tello, Ting, or any other suggestions, for $5-$10 a month. I just need service for now, an am waiting on a good deal on another phone, maybe a Moto GS5 Plus.

So my post is not only what it work on, but which you'd suggest.
    The reason it won't work on PPC after you let the plan lapse is because Vzw will no longer allow any phones on their network that don't have a whitelisted ESN.

I don't think you can use that phone anywhere unless it is reflashed back to Boost.

A lot of good phone deals have already come and gone this season, but there are still some out there.

The Moto G4 Plus is a pretty nice phone, currently at $149.99 at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...us_xt1644.html and it includes 6 months of Republic Wireless service. There's a little more info on this deal at http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ss-service-150 .

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essentials Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The reason it won't work on PPC after you let the plan lapse is because Vzw will no longer allow any phones on their network that don't have a whitelisted ESN.
    Would allowing his plan to expire cause the phone to be blacklisted?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Would allowing his plan to expire cause the phone to be blacklisted?
    Yes, it was grandfathered and once they let the plan expire the ESN was no longer whitelisted as Boz1 explained above.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The converted Boost phones have Sprint MEID/ESN numbers. In the process of converting (flashing) them for use on VZW MVNOs that never changed. It was just that, at the time it was in vogue (before early 2015 ?), the VZW MVNOs were allowed by VZW to take on devices with non-VZW MEIDs. It was a popular practice, especially on Page Plus Cellular, as it was at one time perhaps the leading VZW MVNO, with very friendly conditions for DIY BYOP policies. This changed as VZW policy dictated, but it allowed the converted phones to be grandfathered in and stay on the network, unless and until their account presence dropped off the network for any reason (such as your accidental lapse of account). And cannot be re-introduced (put back on) the network, regardless of MVNO. I'm typing this on one of those phones. It's just a needless restrictive a-hole move on VZW's part. Perfectly good usable devices that can use the existing network technology, but excluded because VZW wants only their approved devices on the network.

Feedback Score
    Does it need to be flashed again to work with a Sprint VMNO?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The Moto G4 Plus is a pretty nice phone, currently at $149.99 at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...us_xt1644.html and it includes 6 months of Republic Wireless service. There's a little more info on this deal at http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ss-service-150 .
    I've looked at the G4/Plus for a long time but anytime I see threads about it, they're filled with complaints. Ghost touch, charging connector goes bad, battery won't fully charge, battery won't hold charge, bad/no call signal, runs extremely hot, poor camera, etc. The G5 may or may not have some of those problems (?) as ghost touch seems to be rarer, but I'm hoping if I wait long enough, new ones coming off the line will be fixed, or I'll just wait for the next model.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack9 View Post
    I've looked at the G4/Plus for a long time but anytime I see threads about it, they're filled with complaints. Ghost touch, charging connector goes bad, battery won't fully charge, battery won't hold charge, bad/no call signal, runs extremely hot, poor camera, etc. The G5 may or may not have some of those problems (?) as ghost touch seems to be rarer, but I'm hoping if I wait long enough, new ones coming off the line will be fixed, or I'll just wait for the next model.
    Next model is already out. Moto G5s Plus. 5.5" screen vs. 5.2" in the G5 Plus vs. 5.5" in the G4 line.

Feedback Score
    Over the past few months I have purchased a total of 7 Moto G4 models - 3 G4 Plus with 64 GB, 1 Plus with 32 GB, 1 Play, and 2 G4 with 32 GB. No problems on any of them. The latest purchase was a G4 with 32 GB to replace an aging 1st gen Moto G I flashed and used for reading the news in the bathroom. I like the larger screen, great response, and ability to use the last phone as a replacement if one of the others goes bad. Purchased all with my Costo / Citi Visa card so I have 3 yrs warranty. All have come from B&H with no tax or shipping. The G4 Plus 64 GB were $150 and the G4 32 GB was only $104. Great phones IMHO and super place to obtain them.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    Over the past few months I have purchased a total of 7 Moto G4 models - 3 G4 Plus with 64 GB, 1 Plus with 32 GB, 1 Play, and 2 G4 with 32 GB. No problems on any of them. The latest purchase was a G4 with 32 GB to replace an aging 1st gen Moto G I flashed and used for reading the news in the bathroom. I like the larger screen, great response, and ability to use the last phone as a replacement if one of the others goes bad. Purchased all with my Costo / Citi Visa card so I have 3 yrs warranty. All have come from B&H with no tax or shipping. The G4 Plus 64 GB were $150 and the G4 32 GB was only $104. Great phones IMHO and super place to obtain them.
    Are you getting security updates on those phones? I know the G4 will not get Oreo and the G4 Plus is promised Oreo but the date seems uncertain.

Feedback Score
    My Moto G4 got a security update in the last month or two. I think it had a Sept date.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Are you getting security updates on those phones? I know the G4 will not get Oreo and the G4 Plus is promised Oreo but the date seems uncertain.
    When I powered up the two newest Moto G4 64 GB phones last week, they were at 6.0. I updated to 7.0 then it applied 3 security updates. As aKansasKid noted, the last was the September security update. As to the G4 not getting Oreo, I'm not too sure. The hardware is the same save the fingerprint sensor. We might be in for a nice surprise!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    My Moto G4 got a security update in the last month or two. I think it had a Sept date.
    The September security updates were for the Blue Borne virus. At least on my VZ E4. Still waiting on the Krack update.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    When I powered up the two newest Moto G4 64 GB phones last week, they were at 6.0. I updated to 7.0 then it applied 3 security updates. As aKansasKid noted, the last was the September security update. As to the G4 not getting Oreo, I'm not too sure. The hardware is the same save the fingerprint sensor. We might be in for a nice surprise!
    Moto had to be brow beat for them to own up to the G4 Plus Oreo update but they were very wishy washy about a date. They had promised it in writing at some point in the past. They could update the G4 to Oreo as well but everything I've read said it would not get Oreo but you never know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast