Thread: Should I unlock it, and how?

Device(s)
    E&L W5, AldoCube iPlay8
    Carrier(s)
    Walmart Family Mobile (T•Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Should I unlock it, and how?

I have some manner of Huawei feature phone on AT&T (unfortunately there's no model number on it, and in fact I can only verify the brand from the battery), clearly something very basic that I found at work (used bookstore, was amongst a thrift store buy). While I have little use for it, I was thinking of unlocking it and giving it away or selling it, but that depends on how hard it is to unlock. Should I bother, and how do I do that?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Javarod View Post
    I have some manner of Huawei feature phone on AT&T (unfortunately there's no model number on it, and in fact I can only verify the brand from the battery), clearly something very basic that I found at work (used bookstore, was amongst a thrift store buy). While I have little use for it, I was thinking of unlocking it and giving it away or selling it, but that depends on how hard it is to unlock. Should I bother, and how do I do that?
    Try to have AT&T unlock it for free:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/
    You can try that. It don't hurt to ask, but they pretty much stopped doing that months ago.

OP, why unlock it? It will work on AT&T and their subsidiaries and MVNOs. The only thing you are missing is T-Mobile without unlocking it.

Look under the battery and in the phone menus for the model number.

If it is an old AT&T 2G phone it is worthless. AT&T doesn't use 2G anymore.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You can try that. It don't hurt to ask, but they pretty much stopped doing that months ago.
    I thought what they stopped was unlocking NIB, never-activated prepaid phones. OP is describing a phone that plausibly could have been used on AT&T and met the unlocking service requirements. Does AT&T not unlock phones anymore for non-customers?

Feedback Score

AT&T still unlocks phones which meet the requirements for unlocking. The prepaid never active phones are no longer unlocked until 6 months of prepaid or 3 months postpaid service.

AT&T within the last month, I submitted an unlock request for a prepaid iPhone SE which was only used on postpaid. I received the unlocked approved email the same day.

Feedback Score
    I thought what they stopped was unlocking NIB, never-activated prepaid phones. OP is describing a phone that plausibly could have been used on AT&T and met the unlocking service requirements. Does AT&T not unlock phones anymore for non-customers?

My mistake.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    E&L W5, AldoCube iPlay8
    Carrier(s)
    Walmart Family Mobile (T•Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Huh, hadn't even thought about that, I simply assumed that it wasn't an option as I'm not a customer. Well, request in, thanks for pointing out the obvious (this explains why I told my boss to fee free to call me a moron when I deserve it).

OP, why unlock it? It will work on AT&T and their subsidiaries and MVNOs. The only thing you are missing is T-Mobile without unlocking it.

Look under the battery and in the phone menus for the model number.

If it is an old AT&T 2G phone it is worthless. AT&T doesn't use 2G anymore.
    Found the model, it's a Huawei U2800/Pal. Pretty low end thing, but I figure unlock it so I have options with it, though I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it, I do have a better phone after all.. more or less, really buggy weird China phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Javarod View Post
    ...Found the model, it's a Huawei U2800/Pal....
    Looks like it is new enough to still work on AT&T. The battery might not be real good after six years.

http://www.phonerated.com/specs-huawei_u2800

You could keep it in the car unactivated (with a car charger/power supply). It will work for 911 only even without being activated. It doesn't have to be unlocked for that.