Thread: Replacing feature-phone on grandfathered PAYG plan?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6015i
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Toronto Replacing feature-phone on grandfathered PAYG plan?

A long time ago (would you believe 2006) I joined this forum for advice on a mobile plan. This was for occasional and/or emergency use only. I got a Pay As You Go plan on Virgin Mobile, and bought a Nokia 6015i feature-phone in March 2006. It still works great, but...

Apparently, 2 of its 3 bands have been shut down, and the last one (PCS) is in the process of being shut down by Bell (Virgin's owner). I visited Vancouver for a few days in September, and had no signal at all. Here in Toronto, PCS is due to be shut down by April 2018. I'll need a new phone. I'm currently paying $100/year (plus tax), and PAYG is sufficient for my needs. Questions...

1) Can I continue on the plan with a new phone?

2) Can I bring my own phone?

3) If "Yes" for both of the above, where can I buy a Nokia 3310 3G dual-sim phone in Canada?

Carrier(s)
    Public / Freedom / T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You should be able to bring your own phone to the same plan, check on eBay.

Back in the day when phones were cheaper / smaller I'd occasionally lose or leave them in my pants and wash them.

Customer service was always quick to offer a replacement phone for a very cheap cost.

Also you may not need to do anything. Before the change over, it is highly likely Bell will just send you a new phone for a low cost if not free.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6015i
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    Also you may not need to do anything. Before the change over, it is highly likely Bell will just send you a new phone for a low cost if not free.
    On other websites, the Alcatel Go Flip is reported as having an FM radio. But there's no mention of an FM rdio when I look it up at "The Source" or on Bell's or Virgin's website. Colour me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's deliberately disabled. Apparently Bell enables FM radios on "some cellphones" http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fm-r...coms-1.3577447 I'll have to check carefully with them. But I would prefer the Nokia 3310 3G dual-sim which is just showing up in Canada right now.