Thread: iPhone 6 AT&T Prepaid Question

Feedback Score

iPhone 6 AT&T Prepaid Question

Sorry for making a separate thread about this but was curious on one thing

Can a AT&T prepaid iPhone 6 be put on cricket and put it on unlimited plan to get the phone unlocked? Will this work? Just wondering before I buy at some point

Feedback Score
    From Cricket’s website, any AT&T prepaid phone would fail this requirement.

The device is designed for use on and is locked to Cricket's network.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    From Cricket’s website, any AT&T prepaid phone would fail this requirement.

The device is designed for use on and is locked to Cricket's network.
    I think Cricket needs to rephrase that rule. Cricket's network is the AT&T network.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I think Cricket needs to rephrase that rule. Cricket's network is the AT&T network.
    Not exactly the same network backend since Cricket phones cannot be used on AT&T prepaid or postpaid until the phone is unlocked.

Feedback Score
    So basically the answer is no it sounds like. So the other work around is a Verizon postpaid Sim? Will a Xfinity mobile sim work too or no?

Feedback Score
    You can use an AT&T prepaid iPhone on Cricket but the AT&T prepaid unlock policy still applies.

Until the iPhone is unlocked, you cannot use the phone with Verizon or Xfinity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    You can use an AT&T prepaid iPhone on Cricket but the AT&T prepaid unlock policy still applies.

Until the iPhone is unlocked, you cannot use the phone with Verizon or Xfinity.
    Right but if you put a postpaid Verizon sim into the phone that can unlock it if you don’t put a sim into it first correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    Sorry for making a separate thread about this but was curious on one thing

Can a AT&T prepaid iPhone 6 be put on cricket and put it on unlimited plan to get the phone unlocked? Will this work? Just wondering before I buy at some point
    the phone can be used on cricket without problem, however you have until the end of December
    to get the iphone unlocked on the unlimited plan because cricket will be doing away with the immediate unlocking policy
    and requiring the phone be active for a full 6 months before it can be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the phone can be used on cricket without problem, however you have until the end of December
    to get the iphone unlocked on the unlimited plan because cricket will be doing away with the immediate unlocking policy
    and requiring the phone be active for a full 6 months before it can be unlocked.
    Ok great thanks for the info this helps a lot!

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    So basically the answer is no it sounds like. So the other work around is a Verizon postpaid Sim? Will a Xfinity mobile sim work too or no?
    No.

The Verizon postpaid SIM workaround is only if you buy a postpaid flex phone through a third party retailer like Best Buy. A prepaid phone will be sold locked to the carrier (the information about the carrier is sent back to Apple).
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    That's only for Cricket branded phones not AT&T prepaid phones as mentioned in the OP.

Feedback Score
    So basically even if you put the 6 on the unlimited plan. They can’t unlock the phone because it’s AT&T prepaid brand? I didn’t think would make a lot of difference