Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual-SIM FTW: Why the OnePlus 5 and 5T are Perfect Smartphones for Freedom Mobile

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post Dual-SIM FTW: Why the OnePlus 5 and 5T are Perfect Smartphones for Freedom Mobile

Name:  fm-op.png
Views: 477
Size:  454.0 KB

Here's hoping that every Canadian reading this was able to jump onto a 10GB/month plan yesterday; if not, I've been hearing that some carriers are extending their promos until end of day today. I actually joined in on the fun myself, and am now the proud owner of two Rogers SIMs—one each for the girlfriend and I.

Why, as a Freedom Mobile customer, would I even want to admit this? Because the Rogers SIMs are going to be used only as backups in the second SIM slots of our two OnePlus phones; our primary voice, text and data service will be with Freedom Mobile. I'll be sealing the deal by porting out our numbers from Koodo later today.

Some Howard Forums members seem to have a hard time believing this, but Freedom's service in downtown Toronto has, in more than a month's worth of use, been surprisingly good. I can think of only two places where I've not had a reliable signal—in the basement of The Bay's Queen Street store and a lawyer's office where there weren't any nearby windows.

For scenarios like these getting back online will be as simple as switching our data connection to Rogers. Those lines were activated on the same $5/month tablet flex plan; they're ready if we need them, but the cost of keeping them on standby is low. In fact, for the next twenty months they're basically free, since Freedom is giving each of our lines a $10 credit per month.

Back in the summer of 2014 when FM was still WIND Mobile I wrote that I wouldn't fault anyone for voting with their wallet—that is, paying for service with an upstart carrier to divert money that would otherwise go to The Big Three. Today, with a dual-SIM phone you can finally have the best of both worlds. And if that dual-SIM device is a OnePlus 5 or 5T you get a pretty fantastic Android smartphone as well!
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    No it's not.....it doesn't support band 13 LTE....whenever freedom deploys band 13 VoLTE your phone won't work.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Watch those dual SIM trays, many of them will only operate in 2G in the second slot.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Dual-SIM FTW: Why the OnePlus 5 and 5T are Perfect Smartphones for Freedom Mo...

Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Watch those dual SIM trays, many of them will only operate in 2G in the second slot.
    The oneplus 3/3T/5/5T all support LTE in both slots (but not both simultaneously). Easy to switch back and forth. The non-data active slot gets HSPA if available.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    This makes no sense at all
    Why get a big3 SIM as a "backup"?

A far smarter solution would be a big3 SIM as your primary phone ($60 for 10GB) then go ahead and add the Freedom Tablet ($15 for 4GB) as a backup in case need extra data

As it stands now you are paying (at least) $110 for a nonsensical config

Carrier(s)
    Public / Freedom / T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Agreed it makes no sense. Rogers network is much stronger it should definitely be the primary for voice calls and also instances where you need maximum data reliability / speed. ie. banking, quickly researching an item while on the road, comparing prices while shopping, etc.

Data you can use the Wind network for less critical stuff like streaming youtube, facebook, tinder, etc.

Also given a choice you should have opened a line on Koodo instead of Rogers. It's pretty easy to accidentally blow past 10GB at Big 3 LTE speeds. Koodo has 10GB of shock free data which means you won't be subjected to overage charges unless you consent to it.

"We’ll alert you when you reach 50%, 90% and 100% of your monthly data limit.
    When you reach 100% of your data limit, we pause your data and you choose if you want to add more, right from your phone."
    Freedom Promo Everywhere 50 - 35% FNF = $32.50 (Unlimited CAN / USA Roaming Calls and Data)
    Public Mobile 30 - $2 Autopay - $5 Loyalty = $23 (Unlimited Calls + 500MB)

Device(s)
    LeEco Le Max 2
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post

A far smarter solution would be a big3 SIM as your primary phone ($60 for 10GB) then go ahead and add the Freedom Tablet ($15 for 4GB) as a backup in case need extra data

Why do you need a Freedom Mobile account if you have Big 3 with data?

For Freedom customers, using Big 3 prepaid or Speakout as backup makes perfect sense.

I use a Knowroaming SIM as backup in case I get into one of Freedom's holes.

Feedback Score
    If you can get along with 10GB of Freedom Mobile data and talk/text then backup typically implies a "fail-safe" option like, say, a Fido 3GB naked plan that runs about $7.50/mo on loyalty discount (3 months). You could get fancy and have your call-in number at voip.ms and have that call re-direct to both of your sim numbers (see: call hunting).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gameon123 View Post
    If you can get along with 10GB of Freedom Mobile data and talk/text then backup typically implies a "fail-safe" option like, say, a Fido 3GB naked plan that runs about $7.50/mo on loyalty discount (3 months). You could get fancy and have your call-in number at voip.ms and have that call re-direct to both of your sim numbers (see: call hunting).
    I have the 3GB Fido Tablet plan for $15...how does one get it for half price? Thanking you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOnDemand View Post
    I have the 3GB Fido Tablet plan for $15...how does one get it for half price? Thanking you in advance.
    My experience: call in after 3 months and ask if they can apply any discount or loyalty codes to your plan. This is for plans without the tablet promo (just the line).

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB version). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score

It's not "no sense" it's zero sense. I have had Asus Zenfones with this type of configuration. They have Band 7, but not 13. It took a bit to get used to my iPhone having only one SIM card slot, but apparently over in Asia (no offense), dual SIM Card phones are the "norm".

People might say it's easy, but looking at it another way, it does not make sense at all over here in North America. Nonsensical, yes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    Agreed it makes no sense. Rogers network is much stronger it should definitely be the primary for voice calls and also instances where you need maximum data reliability / speed. ie. banking, quickly researching an item while on the road, comparing prices while shopping, etc.

Data you can use the Wind network for less critical stuff like streaming youtube, facebook, tinder, etc.

Also given a choice you should have opened a line on Koodo instead of Rogers. It's pretty easy to accidentally blow past 10GB at Big 3 LTE speeds. Koodo has 10GB of shock free data which means you won't be subjected to overage charges unless you consent to it.

"We’ll alert you when you reach 50%, 90% and 100% of your monthly data limit.
    When you reach 100% of your data limit, we pause your data and you choose if you want to add more, right from your phone."
    Here's the problem. While Robellus likes to rape you without Vaseline, or even a condom on overage charges, Shaw does not charge for overage except if you are roaming. Your last line would be very alarming to anyone. And it's real easy to blow past that. Who will pay attention to that? No one. I don't. Freedom texts me to tell me I've hit the 5GB (out of 8) on my phone. But mostly I ignore it. It's good, yes, but I don't have to worry about getting raped on overage charges. Plus even throttled, granted the data is slow, it's still usable, but I don't care about that.

Granted they pause the data, but the fact that you can add more right from your phone? Nonsense. Freedom lets you keep on going, throttled. And doesn't charge extra, even though the network is like Swiss Cheese but who am I to complain?

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sable View Post
    Why do you need a Freedom Mobile account if you have Big 3 with data?
    Because big3 overages are obscene

I personally would not even do what OP did was merely claiming he seems to have it backwards
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Because big3 overages are obscene

I personally would not even do what OP did was merely claiming he seems to have it backwards
    Oh definitely. I agree with you there. That's one thing that Shaw has that the Big 3 don't. Shaw does not charge for overage. Robellus likes to. Probably where at least 60% of their revenue comes from. Overage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    Here's the problem. While Robellus likes to rape you without Vaseline, or even a condom on overage charges, Shaw does not charge for overage except if you are roaming. Your last line would be very alarming to anyone. And it's real easy to blow past that. Who will pay attention to that? No one. I don't. Freedom texts me to tell me I've hit the 5GB (out of 8) on my phone. But mostly I ignore it. It's good, yes, but I don't have to worry about getting raped on overage charges. Plus even throttled, granted the data is slow, it's still usable, but I don't care about that.

Granted they pause the data, but the fact that you can add more right from your phone? Nonsense. Freedom lets you keep on going, throttled. And doesn't charge extra, even though the network is like Swiss Cheese but who am I to complain?
    I feel that is the reason for backup. Moreso if you're in Home with no signal. Happened to me Monday when lost FM but my Fido was running. I see this as a temp measure until zone is saturated and equal in penetration with B/R/T in structures. I wonder if FM Mgmt team have backup?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast