Thread: Mega Tech Illiterates drive me freakin bananas.

Feedback Score

Mega Tech Illiterates drive me freakin bananas.

Just a rant.

I know there are a lot worse things in this universe to worry about, but I can't take this anymore!

My family got into the smartphone arena about a year ago after I myself started using smartphones. I kindly set them all up with Nokia 640 Lumias on H20, since I have had bullet proof reliability in the two years I been with them. With ALL my Lumia phones I have not had one problem....nothing....no dead batteries, dropped calls....nothing. I only had other phones, just out of curiosity and wanting larger screens...I can fire up my old 520 and it works....battery still good.

HOWEVER!!! My mom, dad, sister and boyfriend whom I all activated Lumia 640 for.....ALL have countless problems!! It drives me nuts, because every time they see me, some crap is wrong with their phones...Battery no good, missed a text, can't get internet, Phone gets so hot can't hold onto it

All of this after I literally had to baby step them through every, tiny process on how to use a smartphone.

Mom keeps complaining she can't get internet.... I took her phone and hit internet explorer and watched an entire youtube video with no stutter or hangups at all.... Went to FB and like 10 other sites....boom booom boom....all fast and good. I don't understand it....I literally told her I didn't do anything to fix it, because it freakin works.

MY brother in Law says the Lumia 640 is junk all because he thinks it should upload a video in seconds. I can't get through his head that it takes a while for a freakin video to upload....like 10 minutes or more. He still cannot grasp the effin concept! and insist he needs to get a Galaxy or iPhone!!

It's like these people do this to piss me off. I just can't stand people who won't take the time and do a little exploring for themselves... It's like I have to be there all the time to solve every simple propblem...I'm alwayd getting asked what is wrong with this and that. My last problem solved was mom using the wrong password to get into Note on the Lumia... she thought she had to get a more expensive, better phone and that maybe the cheaper Lumia has it's limits LMAO....she really said that!

I don't mind finding a good phone and a good plan, setting it up and showing basic things about the phone, but damn....they need to sit and work them themselves a little bit....I'm tired of holding everyones hands with these damn phones.

Sooooo irrritating.

Thanks </end rant>

Feedback Score
    I know that feeling, believe me.

Hand holding und diaper changing.

Well you're in good company.
    Lots of us are 'tech support' for our family and friends.
    And occasionally people on forums such as this one.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Feedback Score
    My 70 year old MiL switched from a flip phone to an iPhone SE. Within days she mastered speech to text, FaceTime except for voicemail which she insists she does not need. I tried to explain visual voicemail but she does not voicemail. LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia_Black View Post
    Just a rant.

I know there are a lot worse things in this universe to worry about, but I can't take this anymore!

My family got into the smartphone arena about a year ago after I myself started using smartphones. I kindly set them all up with Nokia 640 Lumias on H20, since I have had bullet proof reliability in the two years I been with them. With ALL my Lumia phones I have not had one problem....nothing....no dead batteries, dropped calls....nothing. I only had other phones, just out of curiosity and wanting larger screens...I can fire up my old 520 and it works....battery still good.

HOWEVER!!! My mom, dad, sister and boyfriend whom I all activated Lumia 640 for.....ALL have countless problems!! It drives me nuts, because every time they see me, some crap is wrong with their phones...Battery no good, missed a text, can't get internet, Phone gets so hot can't hold onto it

All of this after I literally had to baby step them through every, tiny process on how to use a smartphone.

Mom keeps complaining she can't get internet.... I took her phone and hit internet explorer and watched an entire youtube video with no stutter or hangups at all.... Went to FB and like 10 other sites....boom booom boom....all fast and good. I don't understand it....I literally told her I didn't do anything to fix it, because it freakin works.

MY brother in Law says the Lumia 640 is junk all because he thinks it should upload a video in seconds. I can't get through his head that it takes a while for a freakin video to upload....like 10 minutes or more. He still cannot grasp the effin concept! and insist he needs to get a Galaxy or iPhone!!

It's like these people do this to piss me off. I just can't stand people who won't take the time and do a little exploring for themselves... It's like I have to be there all the time to solve every simple propblem...I'm alwayd getting asked what is wrong with this and that. My last problem solved was mom using the wrong password to get into Note on the Lumia... she thought she had to get a more expensive, better phone and that maybe the cheaper Lumia has it's limits LMAO....she really said that!

I don't mind finding a good phone and a good plan, setting it up and showing basic things about the phone, but damn....they need to sit and work them themselves a little bit....I'm tired of holding everyones hands with these damn phones.

Sooooo irrritating.

Thanks </end rant>
    This is a personality issue. These people cannot embrace your gift and don't know how to free themselves from it. The gift requires too much work. If the relatives are not "science" people, there is nothing you can do.

I would take the phones away and let the relatives find something they are more comfortable with. It is just too frustrating to watch a gift fall on deaf ears. Trust me.

Obviously my opinion based on experience.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have about a dozen friends that I've introduced to the TF Family, mostly Tracfone, but a couple Net 10's in the mix. One of the guys has an early TF smartphone that he bought in FL last winter because his Page Plus (verizon??) was not getting reliable connections. It's a little silver flip phone circa 1932?? (haha). We had him over for dinner the other night because he was leaving for FL the next day, I noticed he was carrying the PP. I asked where his TF was..."oh, I think in the glove box".... I suspect the battery was dead so I gave him a car charger and told him to be sure to use the thing every couple months. He said that he had been using it a couple times a year since I told him when he bought it to use every 6 months or he'd lose the year I put on it last Christmas. Thankx Family Dollar

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Cellphones are one issue (some peps don’t even understand they need to b charged-like they run on air!)

I get really irritated when I have to show a person how to use their TV remote over and over .... and they just randomly push buttons.

Feedback Score
    OT about computers.

I used to repair PC's as a side hustle. 99% of the calls when I got the problem started 6mos ago or longer. What would have been less than a hr for 100% fix was now 4-5hrs for a 75% fix. Tried to explain updating, backups, social engineering etc. Waste of time. Most of these bargain laptops became for them too expensive to fix at my rates & not willing to reinstall & lose their data or pay for data backup. More & more after going through the options & costs I recommended they buy a new computer.

People treat their electronics no better than their toasters.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 07.02.18

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essentials Plan
    Feedback Score
    I"m sure all of their questions can be answered on YouTube but I'm sensing that your relatives would rather complain than look for answers themselves.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I"m sure all of their questions can be answered on YouTube but I'm sensing that your relatives would rather complain than look for answers themselves.
    If they can figure out how to use YouTube.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I've run into similar situations with Luddite friends, where I'd help them with a problem and then something else would break and they'd try to blame what I did earlier for making the 2nd thing break. I'm sure mechanics run into this all the time. What may be happening is that, now that they have the Lumia, they realize (or their friends tell them) they really should have gotten something else. In their minds, problems start to occur to make something wrong with the phones, so they can justify getting what their friends tell them they really want. Also, some people aren't careful about which, or how many, apps they load and they can bloat the phone with apps.
    Donald Newcomb