Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: can't get new phone to work

Feedback Score

can't get new phone to work

my wife got a samsung galaxy j7, she got her tracfone sim, she turned on wifi but cannot call. tracfone gave us our new number and said we were good. we can't call out at all. i was told the sim was good but when i went to tracfone and checked the phone for wifi, it said my phone doesn't have it, but it does so i'm stumped
    thanks for any help

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    my wife got a samsung galaxy j7, she got her tracfone sim, she turned on wifi but cannot call.
    Calls and texts use cell service, not wifi (unless you're using VoIP but I don't think that's the case here). Are there any signal bars at the top of the screen? What happened when your wife tried to make a call? Did she get any error messages?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    my wife got a samsung galaxy j7, she got her tracfone sim, she turned on wifi but cannot call. tracfone gave us our new number and said we were good. we can't call out at all. i was told the sim was good but when i went to tracfone and checked the phone for wifi, it said my phone doesn't have it, but it does so i'm stumped
    thanks for any help
    Perhaps you need to add an airtime card to make voice calls, text, data service (?). Your phone may not have WiFi voice calling, but WiFi works for data / web access - is that what you are saying ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Perhaps you need to add an airtime card to make voice calls, text, data service (?). Your phone may not have WiFi voice calling, but WiFi works for data / web access - is that what you are saying ?
    i get wifi internet with the phone, i was told i could call using wifi and not use my minutes. but its not working. and since its a gsm i get no service here in a rural area. so i can't call at all

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i get wifi internet with the phone, i was told i could call using wifi and not use my minutes.
    I don't know if your phone has a built-in function to make calls over Wifi, and your carrier allows it. Typically, to make calls over Wifi people like me use Google Voice/Hangouts.
    1. First, you need to sign up (free) with Google Voice to get assigned a Google Voice (GV) phone number.
    2. Install the Hangouts app to your phone.
    3. Install the Hangouts Dialer to your phone.

To make a call on Wifi using GV/Hangouts:
    1. Turn on Wifi on the phone.
    2. Run the Hangouts Dialer app. You probably have to sign in with your Google ID and password the first time.
    3. Make your call. On the receiving phone, it will show that the call is coming from your Google Voice number, not your cell phone number.

To receive a call on Wfi using GV/Hangouts:
    2. The caller will have to call your Google Voice number, not your cell phone number.

Sounds like you were mislead or misunderstood that you can simply use your phone to make/receive calls over the Internet.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile version of OPs phone supports WiFi calling. Maybe that's the source of the

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30343

Feedback Score
    AFAIK, Tracfone has implemented WiFi calling only with T-Mobile SIMs, and you still need to have purchased airtime, as your calls will be deducted from the minutes bucket even though you are using WiFi. What are the first six digits of the SIM number?

Feedback Score
    my sim is at&t as t mobile is even worse here from the coverage maps

Feedback Score
    Who told you WiFi calling would work? Any details on specifically what method/infrastructure they were referring to ?

my sim is at&t as t mobile is even worse here from the coverage maps

Feedback Score
    According to the TF website, there are three factors:

- Is active
    - Has a Wi-Fi calling SIM card
    - Has Wi-Fi calling capabilities (not all phone models support Wi-Fi calling)

I don't think that TF has issued any WiFi calling SIM cards for AT&T.

Feedback Score
    well, i'm gonna try calling tomorrow as i went thru chat tonight. i was told my old phone was deactivated it was not, i was told my days and minutes were transfered they were not. maybe better luck tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    well, i'm gonna try calling tomorrow as i went thru chat tonight. i was told my old phone was deactivated it was not, i was told my days and minutes were transfered they were not. maybe better luck tomorrow.
    Well there's your problem! The new phone won't work as long as your old phone is still active. You may find that the old phone is deactivated over night and your new phone works. Reboot the new phone to check if you have service. If you don't, get on chat and have the CSR push trough the deactivation and balance transfer. Good luck!

Edit: Verify that you can access the internet or send a text message before following up on the WiFi calling issue. It's a separate problem and may or may not work but it definitely won't work until the phone has service.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    If you have no signal at home you must go to an area with good signal, then turn on the phone so it can activate. It will not activate through wifi.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    If you have no signal at home you must go to an area with good signal, then turn on the phone so it can activate. It will not activate through wifi.
    Yes, it may not have activated and transferred service if you have no AT&T service.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know if your phone has a built-in function to make calls over Wifi, and your carrier allows it. Typically, to make calls over Wifi people like me use Google Voice/Hangouts.
    1. First, you need to sign up (free) with Google Voice to get assigned a Google Voice (GV) phone number.
    2. Install the Hangouts app to your phone.
    3. Install the Hangouts Dialer to your phone.

To make a call on Wifi using GV/Hangouts:
    2. Run the Hangouts Dialer app. You probably have to sign in with your Google ID and password the first time.
    3. Make your call. On the receiving phone, it will show that the call is coming from your Google Voice number, not your cell phone number.

To receive a call on Wfi using GV/Hangouts:
    2. The caller will have to call your Google Voice number, not your cell phone number.

Sounds like you were mislead or misunderstood that you can simply use your phone to make/receive calls over the Internet.
    You have to turn on incoming calls to receive a call using GV/Hangouts.

Also, you don't have to have a GV number to use Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer to make outgoing WiFi calls. The caller ID will be unknown unless you verify your device's number and turn on outgoing caller ID, which will allow you to make calls with your device/carrier number shown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    Well there's your problem! The new phone won't work as long as your old phone is still active. You may find that the old phone is deactivated over night and your new phone works. Reboot the new phone to check if you have service. If you don't, get on chat and have the CSR push trough the deactivation and balance transfer. Good luck!

Edit: Verify that you can access the internet or send a text message before following up on the WiFi calling issue. It's a separate problem and may or may not work but it definitely won't work until the phone has service.
    here's something real strange, my old phone is still activated even tho on the tracfone site says no, it says i have 4000 minutes now on my new phone but i don't. but i can go out in my yard till i get a signal and then i can call but my phone doesn't show tracfone service. also in settings my phone will only get a signal when set to wcdma but my sim is at&t, i am very confused at what is going on. i haven't been able to get through to tracfone on the phone, but i'm gonna keep trying. but as of now my old phone still has 2062 minutes and 65 days and works fine, my new phone shows nothing in minutes or days but when i get a signal i can call. very weird but maybe i'll get it going. thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast