Thread: The aftermath....

Carrier(s)
    $60 Fido 10gb plan (Canada)
    Feedback Score

The aftermath....

I was just going through Fido's website today and noticed a small price increase. After the unprecedented almost 50% price decrease with that limited time $60 10gb plan went away, they increased the value pack by 40% from $5 to $7. Just though I would point this out.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Of course they did.

Anyone that thinks the $60/10GB plan will stay $60 for more than a year, raise your hand...
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Of course they did.

Anyone that thinks the $60/10GB plan will stay $60 for more than a year, raise your hand...
    I think they will raise the price either in the fall or else in 2019, by $5. So I think there is a possibility they will keep it $60 for a year... because they have already raised the price of the value pack by $2.

It's still cheaper than Rogers though, since to get the same final feature set (excluding DataBytes) is $70 on Rogers and $65$67 on Fido.

However, I noticed on Fido, my Value Pack is still listed at $5. Does it mean I get it for $5 until I change the plan, or does it mean it will go up to $7 at the next billing cycle?
    $60 Fido 10 GB Pulse plan with $5 Value Pack (December 2017 Holideal)

Feedback Score
    My new plan “contract” says $5 as does the my account screen. This is not to say they can’t raise it as I’m not on any sort of agreement. Also - add one like value packs can even change within agreements I think
    I'm not telling you anything that you can't just google for yourself

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    That VP increase does not bode well... I have the 10GB plan on Fido (14 year customer), Telus, Koodo and Rogers... Who to keep? decisions...
    trekkie604 [ Phone Photos ]

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I say Koodo or Telus Quick decision!

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I think the Fido Value Pack long distance rates are much better than the other carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm943 View Post
    I think the Fido Value Pack long distance rates are much better than the other carriers.
    What are the rates? Actually, what do you get in the Fido VPs these days?

Edit:

Looked up the Fido VP. Looks like the premium LD rates are cheaper than Koodo for those that need it. ie 2 cents/min to China vs 5 cents/min.

But aside from LD, I'm not sure the Value Pack is much of a value pack anymore, at $7. For the price, you get:
    • VVM with VM to text
    • 35 VM messages
    • US and Int messaging
    • Premium LD rates
    • 2500 CCF minutes
    • Name Display
    • Who Called

But at Koodo, they don't have value pack. But at a la carte pricing, we end up with:

• VVM with VM to text - $2
    • 35 VM messages - included with VVM
    • US and Int messaging - included in base plan
    • Premium LD rates - $3 (though not as good)
    • 2500 CCF minutes - $3
    • Name Display - now included in base plan
    • Who Called - not available but no one cares

So, $1 if you wanted to fully replicate the Fido VP (albeit with the inferior LD rates) but the advantage that you can mix and match and drop what you don't want and add what you want if and when you need it. For most of the year I would only add the $2 VVM. I might add the CCF if I was to travel for an extended period and need to forward my calls to Fongo or elsewhere to pick up messages when I have another SIM installed. And I'd almost never need LD rates, but I can see where others would want that.

It's kind of funny that as the Fido Value Pack technically becomes less valuable because more and more of the included features are already included in the base plans (Int/US messaging, ND) that they raised the price on it anyway.

Feedback Score
    A strange thing happened. Fido representative actually picked up the phone after 3 days & over 6 hours of total time wasted.

Actually, she was very helpful this time. My voicemail is fixed & value pack added for $5/ month. That’s right, it’s still for $5/mo. I even got confirmation email stating it’s $5.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Ok so The value pack increases to $7 in January. I dont know if it is for new plans or old ones, but my understanding is that we will all pay $2 more come January.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    What are the rates? Actually, what do you get in the Fido VPs these days?

Edit:

Looked up the Fido VP. Looks like the premium LD rates are cheaper than Koodo for those that need it. ie 2 cents/min to China vs 5 cents/min.

But aside from LD, I'm not sure the Value Pack is much of a value pack anymore, at $7. For the price, you get:
    • VVM with VM to text
    • 35 VM messages
    • US and Int messaging
    • Premium LD rates
    • 2500 CCF minutes
    • Name Display
    • Who Called

But at Koodo, they don't have value pack. But at a la carte pricing, we end up with:

• VVM with VM to text - $2
    • 35 VM messages - included with VVM
    • US and Int messaging - included in base plan
    • Premium LD rates - $3 (though not as good)
    • 2500 CCF minutes - $3
    • Name Display - now included in base plan
    • Who Called - not available but no one cares

So, $1 if you wanted to fully replicate the Fido VP (albeit with the inferior LD rates) but the advantage that you can mix and match and drop what you don't want and add what you want if and when you need it. For most of the year I would only add the $2 VVM. I might add the CCF if I was to travel for an extended period and need to forward my calls to Fongo or elsewhere to pick up messages when I have another SIM installed. And I'd almost never need LD rates, but I can see where others would want that.

It's kind of funny that as the Fido Value Pack technically becomes less valuable because more and more of the included features are already included in the base plans (Int/US messaging, ND) that they raised the price on it anyway.
    I went through all the long distance rates for all of the big three carriers and their main 3 flanker brands. Fido is the cheapest with the Value Pack, and Rogers is a close second. The others are significantly more expensive than both. For example, for US calling, it’s only 1 cent per minute on Fido, but 2 cents for Rogers. However, the others are much more expensive. Same goes for many other big countries too, like China. Just 2 cents a minute for Fido. The problem with Rogers is they don’t include international messaging in the base plan, so to get both international messaging and discounted long distance, you have to buy two add-ons, for a total of $10.

Effectively, calling the US with this Fido Value Pack is almost free. To spend just $5, you’d have to call a whopping 500 minutes. Truthfully, I would usually only need none to a few minutes per month, but I wanted the flexibility to make calls at will... which turns out to be the right timing, since there is a friend is in China that I’ll want to call now without having to resort to Skype. I may spend 20 minutes a month on the phone with him, and that will cost me all of 40 cents. I also wanted other features like Name Display and Visual Voicemail / Premium Voicemail To Text which are in the Value Pack. BTW, Rogers’ base plan includes Enhanced Voicemail, but this is misleading, because many people think it is Premium Voicemail To Text. It isn’t. To get Premium Voicemail To Text or Visual Voicemail at Rogers, you still need to get an add-on.

Summary:
    Fido’s Value Pack is the cheapest for long distance, but it recently increased to $7.
    Rogers’ long distance is almost as cheap, but to get both international messaging and cheap long distance costs $10.
    The other carriers charge significantly more for long distance.

However, let’s not forget, Fido is the only carrier to offer DataBytes, and for some users, this is a really big deal. And Fido Roam along with Rogers Roam Like Home are the cheapest roaming packages out of the big 6 carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by rsb74 View Post
    A strange thing happened. Fido representative actually picked up the phone after 3 days & over 6 hours of total time wasted.

Actually, she was very helpful this time. My voicemail is fixed & value pack added for $5/ month. That’s right, it’s still for $5/mo. I even got confirmation email stating it’s $5.
    A Fido Community agent stated to me that my $5 Value Pack will increase in price in January. So, unless your billing cycle reset is in the next week or so, expect your Value Pack to increase to $7 at the next billing cycle reset. If it doesn’t change at the next reset, then expect it to change at the reset after that. So, basically, you’ll save the $2 for all of one month.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Given a choice been the MMS-based voice-to-text that Rogers/Fido offers over the SMS-based voice to text that Koodo and others provide, I'd take the MMS-based version unless there were significant other factors in play (like a gigantic price plan difference).

I wish Telus would extend voice-to-text to Public Mobile though. They haven't yet, not in any form.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Given a choice been the MMS-based voice-to-text that Rogers/Fido offers over the SMS-based voice to text that Koodo and others provide, I'd take the MMS-based version unless there were significant other factors in play (like a gigantic price plan difference).

I wish Telus would extend voice-to-text to Public Mobile though. They haven't yet, not in any form.
    I tried Public Mobile, but they really are no frills both in terms of features and service (or lack thereof) and seem determined to stay that way. Plus I decided I just don’t like pre-paid.

How does the SMS based voicemail-to-text work with long messages? I didn’t even know that was a thing. Do they get 5 messages or something? And what about the audio?

I like getting the audio and text in the messaging thread from Fido. ie. If I have an iMessage thread from the wife, any voicemail from her will show up in the same thread. I like this better than Apple’s Visual Voicemail actually.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    A Fido Community agent stated to me that my $5 Value Pack will increase in price in January. So, unless your billing cycle reset is in the next week or so, expect your Value Pack to increase to $7 at the next billing cycle reset. If it doesn’t change at the next reset, then expect it to change at the reset after that. So, basically, you’ll save the $2 for all of one month.
    My plan reset several days ago but the Value Pack is still listed as $5 on my account. We will see what happens next month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    The Value Pack finally got updated to $7 on my account.