Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unite Explore settings for home network - with / without router

Feedback Score

Question Unite Explore settings for home network - with / without router

We just dumped our slow dsl provider and purchased an unlocked unite explore (with the at&t unlimited plus data plan) and plan to use it as our only internet (rural location.)

We had a netgear d6200 (dsl) router that we previously used, but don't plan to now.
    We have 19 network devices that would connect to the UE unit. Smart TV, Amazon Echo, Ecobee thermostat, etc, in addition to various pcs, tablets and phones.

I just ran into a situation where all the permitted 15 devices were connected, and the UE wouldn't allow another.

Questions: If I set the DHCP lease time to 30 minutes, will it help with releasing unused connections?
    If I get a router and connect to the UE, will the UE see the extra traffic as one device, or will it still track ip addresses / mac addresses?

Can anyone advise on best tips for this situation? From what I've read, our Netgear D6200 router will not work for us in bridge mode. If I get a router that does bridge mode, can I bypass the device limit of 15?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Bridge mode will not solve the problem as it will still get DHCP from the hotspot.

You need either:

1. A router that will use USB tether for WAN. (Most Asus routers)
    2. A router that will use wifi as WAN.
    3. A media bridge with Ethernet out going into the WAN port of a normal router. Use 5ghz from the hotspot to get maximum speed and least interference.

Feedback Score
    Thanks wwglen. it looks like i have a few options Has anyone used a Surf On-the-Go modem (with success?)

Feedback Score

A few other options

Quote Originally Posted by macHarvey View Post
    Thanks wwglen. it looks like i have a few options Has anyone used a Surf On-the-Go modem (with success?)
    I purchased a Netgear DC112a cradle which allows more connections, a better antenna, and also includes some ethernet jacks on the back to connect a switch. The wifi network is pretty flaky on it so I connected the ethernet jack to several wireless APs.

Another option is to use it with a wireless router than supports a USB modem, like an Asus.

Finally, the newer Netgear Nighthawk hotspot is superior in signal speed (it has the latest Qualcomm chipset) and includes a single ethernet jack you can plug into your switch or access point.

https://smile.amazon.com/Netgear-DC1...eywords=dc112a

Feedback Score
    Question: is wifi as wan the same as WISP (wireless internet service provider) that some routers list in their specs?

Feedback Score
    To answer my own question, yes. I purchased a $16 GL-inet Mango router and put it in WISP mode to connect to the Unite Explore. The GL-inet fixed the issue with connected device limits on the UE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macHarvey View Post
    To answer my own question, yes. I purchased a $16 GL-inet Mango router and put it in WISP mode to connect to the Unite Explore. The GL-inet fixed the issue with connected device limits on the UE.
    Glad it worked.

Feedback Score
    Old thread - new question:

Can you use the Unite Explore AND the GL-inet as wireless routers at the same time? The UE has 5ghz, which I'd like most of my devices to still use for supposed better speed (the $20 GL-inet is 2.4ghz only).

Also, how is the wireless range of the GL-inet? Is it better than the UE?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Feedback Score
    I use a Unite Explore which is plugged into a WiFiRanger router via usb cable. I can connect to either using wifi. The Unite Explore will ask you if you want to disable wifi when it sees the other router. Just say "no".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsalopek View Post
    Old thread - new question:

Can you use the Unite Explore AND the GL-inet as wireless routers at the same time? The UE has 5ghz, which I'd like most of my devices to still use for supposed better speed (the $20 GL-inet is 2.4ghz only).
    It is not clear what you mean by using the Explore and GL-iNet at the same time.

Also, how is the wireless range of the GL-inet? Is it better than the UE?
    My GL-iNet Mango is 10 dB less than my home Wifi at a distance of about 25 feet through the house. I don't have an Explore, but the GL-iNet has much better Wifi range than my Velocity. The Mango does very well for what it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is not clear what you mean by using the Explore and GL-iNet at the same time.
    Bob,

I meant use the wireless radio of both at the same time. So that I could have access to the 5ghz band on the UE, and also the (hopefully) extra range of the GL-inet 2.4ghz band.

After more research, I decided to go with the Asus RT-68U - I don't need the portability of the GL-inet, the Asus has both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, as well as probably a very substantial increase in range over my UE, and the GL-inet.

I got a nice used one off eBay for $78.

The GL-inet was tempting though, esp for $20. If it had 5ghz, I would have given it a try.

--

Bill

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I use a Unite Explore which is plugged into a WiFiRanger router via usb cable. I can connect to either using wifi. The Unite Explore will ask you if you want to disable wifi when it sees the other router. Just say "no".
    Thanks...good information.

--

Bill

Feedback Score
    Bob,

I meant use the wireless radio of both at the same time. So that I could have access to the 5ghz band on the UE, and also the (hopefully) extra range of the GL-inet 2.4ghz band.
    Yes you could use the Explore as the Internet source and use the Mango as a Wifi repeater if the Explore is capable of simultaneous dual band Wifi.

Alternatively you could USB tether the Explore to the Mango, leaving the Explore to also operate on 5 GHz Wifi.

Either way, each would have its separate Wifi SSID and PSK and would be different networks. Anything connected to either Wifi would be able to get to the Internet, but would not be able to communicate to the other LAN. There may be some way to get them to communicate between the LANs. They are routers after all. I don't know how.

After more research, I decided to go with the Asus RT-68U - I don't need the portability of the GL-inet, the Asus has both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, as well as probably a very substantial increase in range over my UE, and the GL-inet.

I got a nice used one off eBay for $78.
    Yes, I got a RT-66U to RNDIS USB tether my phone or Velocity hotspot. They are very nice routers.

The GL-inet was tempting though, esp for $20. If it had 5ghz, I would have given it a try.
    The GL-iNet Slate model has dual band Wifi, but costs more - ~$70. Not all of the GL-iNet travel routers do USB RNDIS. Most of the other brands of travel routers don't do RNDIS. Not many home routers do either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yes you could use the Explore as the Internet source and use the Mango as a Wifi repeater if the Explore is capable of simultaneous dual band Wifi.

Alternatively you could USB tether the Explore to the Mango, leaving the Explore to also operate on 5 GHz Wifi.

Either way, each would have its separate Wifi SSID and PSK and would be different networks. Anything connected to either Wifi would be able to get to the Internet, but would not be able to communicate to the other LAN. There may be some way to get them to communicate between the LANs. They are routers after all. I don't know how.

Yes, I got a RT-66U to RNDIS USB tether my phone or Velocity hotspot. They are very nice routers.

The GL-iNet Slate model has dual band Wifi, but costs more - ~$70. Not all of the GL-iNet travel routers do USB RNDIS. Most of the other brands of travel routers don't do RNDIS. Not many home routers do either.
    Bob,

I have been trying to connect my RT-AC68U via USB to my Unite Explore. I can get them to connect to each other, as I see the 815S listed in the ASUS settings pages. But no cellular data from the 815S is actually getting thru.

Do you know of a step-by-step to get this working? Or can you help? I've already tried various settings in both devices, but I'm kinda shooting in the dark. It seems like just a couple setting changes and BOOM, it should work, but it doesn't.

I have the latest firmware in the RT-AC68U. I'd consider another cellular hotspot and a different wireless router (I need a good one with decent/good range) if I knew I could get this working.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Feedback Score
    Bob,

I have been trying to connect my RT-AC68U via USB to my Unite Explore. I can get them to connect to each other, as I see the 815S listed in the ASUS settings pages. But no cellular data from the 815S is actually getting thru.

Do you know of a step-by-step to get this working? Or can you help? I've already tried various settings in both devices, but I'm kinda shooting in the dark. It seems like just a couple setting changes and BOOM, it should work, but it doesn't.

I have the latest firmware in the RT-AC68U. I'd consider another cellular hotspot and a different wireless router (I need a good one with decent/good range) if I knew I could get this working....
    I tried it on my Asus RT-AC66U B1 with my ZTE Velocity AT&T hotspot. I did not flash the Merlin firmware. I'm just running the stock.

On the USB Modem / USB Tethering page, I set:
    WAN Type: USB
    Enable USB Mode: On
    Select USB Device: USB Modem
    APN Configuration: Auto
    Authentication: None
    USB Adapter: Auto (there is a list, but the Velocity model number was not on it.)

I don't recall if these were necessary. I sort of recall that they were, but not sure if it was for the Velocity or a phone.
    Extend the TTL value: Yes
    Spoof LAN TTL value: Yes

On the WAN - Dual WAN page, I set:
    Enable Dual WAN: On
    Primary WAN: WAN
    Secondary WAN: USB
    Dual WAN Mode: Fail Over

I just tried it briefly a while ago to see if it would work, which it did. I think there was a message on the Velocity about turning its Wifi off. My normal router use is with cable. The Velocity doesn't work very well in the room where the Asus is with bad signal. The Asus wouldn't do me any good if the electric was out. I have a GL-iNet Mango for that. The Mango does well for its small size, but doesn't have the range for a larger house.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast