Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LTE and 3G

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

LTE and 3G

My wife has been with freedom for a few years, most recently using a nexus 5x. Although it was 3G only she never had a problem getting data, even indoors.

With the recent promos, she switched to the LTE plan and got a iPhone 8 Plus. It seems that when the new phone switches to 3G, with 2-3 bars, there is little to no data speeds, speed tests come up with error. For example, at our sons karate lessons she used to be able to use data, now with the iPhone there is no data with the 3G signal (this was in streetsville).

Is this a problem with the iPhone and switching between LTE and 3G on freedom?
    Outside, LTE works great, but when in buildings it typically nonexistent, which doesn’t bother me to much bc 3G would typically work, but not as well now.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I doubt this is a phone specific issue.

3G went from 10MHz to 5MHz (except in a few regions) this month, and due to all the recent subscribers and no VoLTE support yet, 3G has more users on it with half the bandwidth. Since voice has highest priority, data could very well be non-existent during peak periods.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    They need the iphone VoLTE fast. Any idea when Band 13 deployment starts?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. I'm quite confused as to why they have deployed VoWiFi first, as both VoWiFi and VoLTE use the IMS protocol (unless Freedom decided to use some proprietary protocol). IMS goes over any network that implement an IP protocol (LTE, wifi, etc). It does require separate configuration per phone in order to support each one, but once it reaches their gateway it doesn't matter what it went over. So I don't see why they can't implement VoLTE (at least the network portion) rather quickly.

My guess is they want to wait for B13 to be deployed, just like how T-Mobile USA did for B12, in order to avoid scenarios where there is a signal but you cannot make a call. There are potential safety issues with this scenario, as calling 911 may not work since the phone has signal on the home PLMN, but no voice capability, and as a result may not attempt to connect to Rogers/Bellus due to this.

In terms of when they are planning to do B13, I don't have any info. I imagine its very low priority for now, as they are plowing through deploying B7/B4, and are even affecting network quality (removing 4x4 MIMO) in order to get this done ASAP. I imagine once the Ontario upgrades are complete they will move on to thinking about B13.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB version). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by precision4 View Post
    My wife has been with freedom for a few years, most recently using a nexus 5x. Although it was 3G only she never had a problem getting data, even indoors.

With the recent promos, she switched to the LTE plan and got a iPhone 8 Plus. It seems that when the new phone switches to 3G, with 2-3 bars, there is little to no data speeds, speed tests come up with error. For example, at our sons karate lessons she used to be able to use data, now with the iPhone there is no data with the 3G signal (this was in streetsville).

Is this a problem with the iPhone and switching between LTE and 3G on freedom?
    Outside, LTE works great, but when in buildings it typically nonexistent, which doesn’t bother me to much bc 3G would typically work, but not as well now.
    I use a 6S Plus on Band 4 (3G) and Band 7 (LTE). I don't have an issue, but then again I live in Toronto. Switching between 3G and LTE there is no delay. Switching from LTE to 3G, when I'm not using the phone on a call, there is a 5-15 second delay.

I have seen no change in 3G service in buildings however. This definitely is not a phone issue. I agree with zivan56.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies all. I’m really hoping this improves. How do I know what band I’m on?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My phone is also 3g only (Note 4) and I have not noticed any decline in the data speed.
    Just did the speed test in my area (Leslie St & West Beaver Creek( and I'm getting 11Mbps for download.
    WIND: Everywhere 50
    Unlimited CA/US Call, MMS, 8gb Data, 2400 min US/CA Roaming w/1gb Data

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by precision4 View Post
    Thanks for the replies all. I’m really hoping this improves. How do I know what band I’m on?
    Dial this in your phone (iPhone only):

*3001#12345#* and hit the dial icon. Look under "Serving Cell Info". It's under "Freq Band Indicator"

Feedback Score
    I find 3G service has actually improved, especially call quality. I have come across certain areas where it sucks though, it's always the upload is basically non existent, which of course makes it almost unusable

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile/Wind
    Feedback Score

LTE and 3G

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    Dial this in your phone (iPhone only):

*3001#12345#* and hit the dial icon. Look under "Serving Cell Info". It's under "Freq Band Indicator"
    Never mind I’m thinking the old way that display numbers instead of bars
    Last edited by megamew; 12-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megamew View Post
    Never mind I’m thinking the old way that display numbers instead of bars
    Extra sugar in the coffee? Got it. Lol. :-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Just did a call. 3G to LTE in my "hood" is less than 3 seconds. Normally it'd take up to 15.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile/Wind
    Feedback Score
    Just did a call. 3G to LTE in my "hood" is less than 3 seconds. Normally it'd take up to 15.
    Lol to your post above and I agree with the 3G to LTE switch!!I’m glad they are really working to upgrade their network and sadly the haters just don’t see it and hop on to the negativity of a friend’s experience.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megamew View Post
    Lol to your post above and I agree with the 3G to LTE switch!!I’m glad they are really working to upgrade their network and sadly the haters just don’t see it and hop on to the negativity of a friend’s experience.
    For me, I don't care about the service, as long as it's usable. I can always get WiFi to handle all the data traffic at home, work, relatives or friends houses (I do not use it in public places unless I have to), but as long as I can talk on the phone and text someone, I don't care about that fact.

Or should we banish these people to the days of the 56k modem. You want to talk about slow? Lol. I mean the speed test I did the other day getting 65.4/20.3 was the highest I'd ever gotten on Freedom using Band 7 LTE.

That post was done on the bus though. I was waiting for the usual 15 second delay, and it was less than 3.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    For me, I don't care about the service, as long as it's usable. I can always get WiFi to handle all the data traffic at home, work, relatives or friends houses (I do not use it in public places unless I have to), but as long as I can talk on the phone and text someone, I don't care about that fact.

Or should we banish these people to the days of the 56k modem. You want to talk about slow? Lol. I mean the speed test I did the other day getting 65.4/20.3 was the highest I'd ever gotten on Freedom using Band 7 LTE.

That post was done on the bus though. I was waiting for the usual 15 second delay, and it was less than 3.
    60Mbps is faster than most internet anywhere, according to the stats Ookla provides, yet it's 'too slow' for those mall rats who need bragging rights. ( My Samsung S8+ on Bell can do 385 Mbps when I have enough data leftover in a month to do a speed test! My uncle's friend had Wind 7 years ago in Oshawa and service was lousy, so it must still be lousy today)

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast