Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Cellular: VoLTE and WiFi-calling unofficial user FAQ

Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular: VoLTE and WiFi-calling unofficial user FAQ

This FAQ exists because Consumer Cellular's webpage offers little detail on what advanced calling features are supported by their service. The service coverage map briefly mentions but does not explain HDVoice, which can improve call quality and/or reception (if LTE-signal is better in your area.) There is no mention whatsoever of wifi-calling, which is useful for internet-subscribers in a zone with marginal cellular reception.

Until Consumer Cellular (CCell) makes a comprehensive statement regarding these topics, this user thread will (hopefully) shed some light on how these advanced calling features relate to CCell subscribers.

Before we get started:

• (1) Does Consumer Cellular (CCell) service offer HDVoice and Wifi-Calling?

Yes: all CCell subscribers can get their phone line(s) provisioned for both VoLTE and Wifi-Calling, regardless of which carrier-network hosts the line (TMobile or AT&T.)
      [User confirmation] CCell<ATT> HDVoice & Wifi-calling confirmed on unlocked IPhone, and Cricket-branded Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime.
      [User confirmation] CCell<TM> HDVoice & Wifi-calling confirmed on unlocked IPhone, unlocked Motorola G5+, TMobile-branded Microsoft Lumia 640.

• (2) Do I need to pay extra to get HDVoice/Wifi-Calling?

These advanced calling features are already included in your CCell calling plan; there is no extra fee to use them.

• (3) How do I enable HDVoice/Wifi-calling on my CCell account?

* (AT&T) Before you can use VoLTE/HDVoice, your line must be provisioned by CCell. The online account portal does not give customers the ability to see/request the status of your line; you must contact CCell technical support to request the provisioning, . You may be asked for the phone's IMEI. Based on user reports, AT&T or Cricket branded phones that have been previously used on AT&T's network may work regardless of the IMEI# reported to CCell.
      * (AT&T and TMobile) Before you can use Wifi-calling, your line must be provisioned by CCell.
      * (TMobile) All CCell<TM> lines are provisioned for HDVoice during line-activation. You do not need to contact technical support, unless you experience problems using HDVoice.
      Account activation tip: if you are planning to add a new line of service through a BYOD device, when the online activation portal asks if your device is an iPhone, then answering 'YES' will automatically provision the line for Wifi-Calling and HDVoice, without further need to contact technical support.
      Beyond getting your line provisioned, both you and the other party must have devices with official carrier support/cerification. (More on this later.)

• (4) Carrier interoperability: Is HDVoice calling limited to calls with other CCell customers?

Interoperability is determined by your simcard's carrier-network.
      * subscribers on CCell<ATT>: HDVoice-callling is possible (but not guaranteed) with all AT&T HDVoice-capable subscribers that use AT&T's network, including AT&T postpaid, Cricket Wireless, and other CCell<ATT> subscribers.

[user report] CCell<ATT> to Cricket wireless is confirmed to be HDVoice-capable. CCell<ATT> to TMobile is not HDvoice-capable.

* [likely] subscribers on CCell<TM>: HDVoice-calling is possible with all TMobile HDVoice-capable subscribers that use TMobile's network, including TMobile prepaid/postpaid, TMobile MVNOs, and other CCell<TM> subscribers.

[user report] CCell<TM> to TMobile(postpaid) is confirmed to be HDVoice-capable. CCell<TM> to AT&T is not HDvoice-capable.

[user report]Calls between CCell<TM> and CCell<ATT> are not carried with HDVoice, even if both phone-lines are on the same CCell account! (Most likely due to lack of HDvoice-interoperability between AT&T and TMobile.)

• (5) Which CCell branded supported devices support HDVoice/Wifi-calling with CCell<ATT> and CCell<TMobile>?

[unknown] At a minimum, all IPhone/6 and later models support both features on both of CCell's carriers (AT&T and TMobile.) For devices that are available from both TMObile and AT&T (such as the Samsung Galaxy), there has been no statement/confirmation as to which of the carrier's advanced calling is supported.

• (6) What BYOD devices (i.e. non-CCell) support CCell HDVoice and Wifi-calling?

Device support varies by the simcard's network-carrier.

For CCell customer with AT&T-based simcard:
    • [Most likely] In general, any device that supports AT&T HDVoice and AT&T Wifi-calling will continue to support those features on a CCell<ATT> line. [*requires confirmation!] Refer to AT&T wireless's website for a list of currently supported phones. (If you are using an AT&T branded phones sold from an AT&T retail-store or from the web, tbe phone can be taken directly to CCell without unlocking, although it's always a good idea to get your device carrier-unlocked before leaving AT&T.)
    • [confirmed by Apple's carrier feature support page] All Apple Iphone 6/6+/SE and later models. If you purchased your IPhone from a carrier other than AT&T, then carrier lock rules apply -- you will need to get it carrier-unlocked before bringing it to CCell.
    • Google Pixel 2 (with Android 8.1 update)
    • [possible for some devices] Devices from other AT&T MVNOs (eg. Cricket Wireless) that support HDVoice & Wifi-calling might work. Carrier lock rules apply -- you will need to get the phone unlocked by the carrier, prior to bringing it to CCell<ATT>. (User report confirms Cricket Galaxy Amp Prime with Android 7.1.1 update supports VoLTE/HDVoice and WiFi-calling on CCell<ATT>; although wifi-calling is not reliable.)

For CCell customer with TMobile-based simcard:
    • [Most likely] In general, any device that supports TMobile HDVoice and TMobile Wifi-calling, will continue to support those features on a CCell<TM> line. [*requires confirmation!] Refer to TMobile's wireless's website for a list of currently supported phones.
    • TMobile branded devices (those sold through TMobile's webstore and retail stores) can be taken to CCell without requisite unlocking, although it's always a good idea to get your device carrier-unlocked before leaving TMobile.
    • many recent unlocked Android smartphones (i.e. shipped with Android 6 or later), as most unlocked Android devices are TMobile HDvoice and wifi-calling ready.
    • [confirmed by Apple's carrier feature support page] (same policy as with CCell<ATT>.)
    • [possible for some devices] Devices from other TMobile MVNOs (such as MetroPCS) that support HDVoice and Wifi-calling might work. Carrier lock rules apply -- you will need to get the phone unlocked by the carrier, prior to bringing it to CCell<TM>.
    • General caveat for both TMobile and AT&T: With the exception of the Apple IPhone, most carrier-branded phones only support HDVoice/Wifi-calling on that carrier's network -- for example, AT&T branded Samsung Galaxy S6 does not support HDVoice/Wifi-calling on TMobile, even though the unlocked/TMobile version of the same devices does!
      General caveat for BYOD devices: If your phone is not directly supported by CCell's network, you may need to manually set the device's APNs for MMS and cellular-device. Refer to Consumer Cellular's website for the correct APN settings.

For example, CCell's network recognizes and auto-configures the Motorola G5 Plus and Apple Iphone (regardless of whether they were obtained from CCell), but does not recognize the Cricket Galaxy Amp Prime or Microsoft Lumia 640. (The Amp Prime supports AT&T HDVoice and Wifi-calling, while the Lumia 640 supports TMobile HDVoice and Wifi-calling.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone confirmed what is stated here about the wifi calling feature on CCell <ATT>?

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for this FAQ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Has anyone confirmed what is stated here about the wifi calling feature on CCell <ATT>?
    NO official confirmation from Consumer Cellular itself. We just have indirect confirmation from the following sources:

• 3rd-party confirmation (user reports) from myself and a few others on this forum, having been told by CCell's technical support that WiFi-calling is supported (with selected phones, Iphone being one of them.) The phoneline must be provisioned for WiFi-Calling, which only technical support can enable at this time. (The rep I spoke with wasn't sure why all new activated lines aren't already provisioned for VoLTE + Wifi-calling.)http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-T-MVNOs/page4

• And user-reports confirming success with setting-up & enabling Wifi-calling with CCell<ATT> service. On a related note, AT&T's MVNO (Cricket Wireless) also supports these advanced calling features on the same IPhone models (6, SE, and later.)

From a practical standpoint, I think it's safe to say it's working, even in the absence of any mention whatsoever on Consumer Cellular's homepage. However, until CCell adds the Wifi-calling to their official homepage, I suppose they could still withdraw this feature...(especially if they get flooded with support calls from customers who can't get it working correctly.)

• (unlocked) Apple IPhoneX: supports HDvoice and wifi-callling on both CCell<ATT> and CCell<TM> (CCell<ATT> requires iOS 11.2 update and Dec/2017 carrier update 31.1 or later.)

Name:  iphone_cc_att_wificalling2.jpg
Views: 10456
Size:  27.4 KB

• (Cricked-branded) Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime: supports HDVoice and wifi-calling, but only on CCell<ATT> (not on CCell<TM>.) Requires (Cricket) Android 7.1.1 update Nov/2017. Warning: With the 7.1.1 update, the Amp Prime runs considerably slower than the original Android 6.0.1 (probably due to its limited 1.5GB RAM.)

Name:  cc_att_wifi_calling3.jpg
Views: 10479
Size:  21.4 KB
    Name:  cc_att_wifi_calling1.jpg
Views: 10483
Size:  26.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cricketuser101; 12-24-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add photo-proof of wifi-calling

Feedback Score
    Strange - I can get (ATT) Wifi calling working on an iphone 7 (ios 11.2.1), however not on my 6s plus (still on ios 10.3.3). My Carrier reads as "CC 28.2.5."

If I put the sim card in the iphone 7, WIFI calling works. When I put it back in the 6s, no wifi calling. Both are unlocked. Both are formerly used on verizon. Wonder if it's an iOS thing. I could try "reset network settings" on the 6s but I don't want to lose my wifi passwords.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdigles View Post
    Strange - I can get (ATT) Wifi calling working on an iphone 7 (ios 11.2.1), however not on my 6s plus (still on ios 10.3.3). My Carrier reads as "CC 28.2.5."

If I put the sim card in the iphone 7, WIFI calling works. When I put it back in the 6s, no wifi calling. Both are unlocked. Both are formerly used on verizon. Wonder if it's an iOS thing. I could try "reset network settings" on the 6s but I don't want to lose my wifi passwords.
    I specifically recall Apple's carrier support page did not list VoLTE/Wifi-calling for Consumer Cellular until recently (after December 7.) Also, Cricket Wireless (an AT&T MVNO) only recently received support for AT&T wifi-calling (with Carrier Update 31.1 and iOS 11.2), although VoLTE was working much earlier. I think it's reasonable to assume Cricket wifi-calling and CCell<ATT> wifi-calling were added in the same carrier-update (31.1)

Is the iOS 11.2.1 update not available yet for the iPhone/6s?

Sidebar: when I put a CCell<TM> simcard into the iPhone, the reported Carrier version is 31.0.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just got an email reply from CC to my inquiry: "Thank you for your email, I’m happy to help you with your WiFi Calling inquiry today. We are excited to announce that we are now supporting the WiFi Calling feature with both of our carriers, AT&T and T-Mobile. If you decide to sign up for service, you may need to contact us once your new SIM card has been activated to ensure the feature has been enabled properly for your line of service. ..."

Feedback Score

CCell<TM>

On the T-Mobile side of CCell:

• TMobile-branded Microsoft Lumia 640 (US model, Windows Phone 8.1): both VoLTE and WiFi-calling. (Configuration note: user must manufally configure device APNs, otherwise internet-access and text-msg don't work.)

• (unlocked) Motorola G5 Plus (Android 7.0): both VoLTE and WiFi-calling are supported
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    CCell<ATT>
    Update with devices I've had experience with on Consumer Cellular ATT

Moto X4 Unlocked - (w/Android 8 and 9) - Neither VoLTE or WiFi calling seemed to work.

Moto G6 Unlocked - (Android 8) - VoLTE (HD Voice) work, ATT Visual Voicemail app worked on two lines (they were ported from ATT Prepaid however). WiFi calling did not work.

Pixel 2 XL Unlocked- (Android 9) - Neither VoLTE or WiFI calling worked for me.

OnePlus 6T Unlocked
    - (Android 9/Oxygen 9) - After entering *#800# and turning on the function switches, VoLTE (HD Voice) works, WiFi calling shows available, but haven't been able to confirm it actually works yet

Feedback Score
    Update with devices I have experience with on Consumer Cellular AT&T
    Unlocked LG G6, model us997 - VoLTE does not seem to work

Just activated service with them 2 days ago, will keep testing. HD voice was previously working on Verizon. Considering switching to an unlocked Galaxy S9 or S10 if I can get confirmation VoLTE would work. Galaxy S10 is rumored to be released in March, about a month away from now.

Feedback Score
    Question, how do you test to see if VoLTE is working or not? On Verizon, the screen said "HD Voice" on it. Is there a similar onscreen message saying something like VoLTE during a phone call to indicate the function is working properly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    Question, how do you test to see if VoLTE is working or not? On Verizon, the screen said "HD Voice" on it. Is there a similar onscreen message saying something like VoLTE during a phone call to indicate the function is working properly?
    if LTE stays while on a call then you have VoLTE enabled. another way to tell on some android phones is to dial*#*#4636#*#* a secret menu will show select phone information and scroll down and you should see some switches for VoLTE - WIFI Calling ect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if LTE stays while on a call then you have VoLTE enabled. another way to tell on some android phones is to dial*#*#4636#*#* a secret menu will show select phone information and scroll down and you should see some switches for VoLTE - WIFI Calling ect.
    In that case correction to post. LG G6 appears to be working properly with VoLTE. 4g symbol stays onscreen during call. And it says VoLTE provisioned when entering the code above. Also, I tried browsing the internet during a call (wifi off) and could do so. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    In that case correction to post. LG G6 appears to be working properly with VoLTE. 4g symbol stays onscreen during call. And it says VoLTE provisioned when entering the code above. Also, I tried browsing the internet during a call (wifi off) and could do so. Thanks.
    On att new yo can do voice and data even without volte. Our pho normally shows lte for data but 4g during a you not have volte. Att network generally doesn’t support volte unless have att branded phone, pixel 3, or iPhone.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    IPhone XS Max, Samsung Galaxy S-9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile and VZW
    Feedback Score
    My retired and fixed-income elderly brother lives in Brunswick, Maine (ZIP Code 04011,) and uses cellular service strictly for voice and not a lot of minutes. His occasional travel is limited to the New England coast from Boston to Canada. Most of his time is spent in and around Brunswick. He is currently using U.S. Cellular but considering a move to Consumer Cellular to save about $30 per month.

Which carrier does CC use for Brunswick, ME, subscribers? Would his coverage be similar to that carrier’s prepaid service? Can anyone offer a better alternative?

TIA
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Traveling around the Southeastern U.S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast