Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Band 5 being prioritized and super slow for anyone else?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,974
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Band 5 being prioritized and super slow for anyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    How do you like the mofi? I have the original 4500 non SIM its bricked but I liked it a lot. I hear the modems in the sim versions are incredibly fast. I also really like the sound of band locking as my folks have 3 different sites that have served them. Finally ending up coming in from the west but id love to try to.lock onto some.of the others to see and compare congestion.

    As for band 5 around here in Keene New Hampshire the only place I've found band 5 LTE was in Westmorland up by the old jail. It seems to serve the county nursing home.primarily. Also one of the many unique places At&t has exclusive coverage while even us cellulsr fails miserably. AT&T seems to have some pretty solid network engineers especially coming from us cellular.

    Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    It’s an excellent device. Very reliable with solid connection and very fast speeds. My Nighthawk will occasionally drop the LTE connection in places the MoFi doesn’t. Band selection can be very useful depending on location (essential now at my parents due that problematic band 5 signal).

    My only complaints are how increasingly long in the tooth the modem is becoming (LTE cat 6 in an LTE cat 12 world) and not being able to manually select Carrier Aggregation combinations (Band 2 + 66 + 30 + 12 would be killer at my parents if i could manually select it).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brobot; 12-31-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Intel iPhone 8 Plus:
    AT&T Unlimited Plus

    iPad Pro 9.7:
    Verizon Unlimited (February '17 Plan)

    Rural Internet:
    Mofi 4500 on AT&T Connected Car Unlimited
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

    AT&T Fiber

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    De Soto
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Band 5 is just now getting deployed in St. Louis, Jefferson, St. Charles, Warren and Lincoln counties in Missouri... Just recorded 3 new Band 5 sectors. 2 in St. Louis County and 1 in Jefferson County.

    242871 (Jefferson County):


    242517 (St. Louis County):

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    488
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm getting the same with B4 where I'm at. Will not latch onto any other bands that have better signal.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    St. Louis Area
    Posts
    342
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Band 5 being prioritized and super slow for anyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    Band 5 is just now getting deployed in St. Louis, Jefferson, St. Charles, Warren and Lincoln counties in Missouri... Just recorded 3 new Band 5 sectors. 2 in St. Louis County and 1 in Jefferson County.
    Are you seeing any band 30 or band 4 in the St. Louis area?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    629
    Device(s)
    iP7 QCOM, S8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint_CDMA View Post
    Are you seeing any band 30 or band 4 in the St. Louis area?
    I recall seeing B30 all over STL. Not sure about B4.
    --Bentley

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    606
    Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    I recall seeing B30 all over STL. Not sure about B4.
    B4 is still relatively rare in the metro area overall but can be spotted in a few areas. It is prevalent in downtown STL and the 40 corridor out to Forest Park. Two sites around the intersection of I-270 and Hwy. 40 (I-64) also got it within the past week. Other than a few sites here and there, it looks like the next area getting a significant B4 rollout is the area surrounding the 270/255/55 intersection. Most sites around Lambert Airport also have B4.

    B2 is most commonly seen; B12/17 is on all towers but shows up less often than B2. B30 is on several higher-traffic towers all around the area, but far from universal. B5 is rare in the metro area but becoming more common in the outer MO suburbs and exurbs.

    Some parts of the metro area still have 2 channels of UMTS on B5 which precludes launching LTE. I've seen the second channel of B5 in Clayton and Des Peres as recently as the second half of 2017 and that will have to be shut down before B5 LTE can launch there. A May 2017 shutdown of the second channel of B5 around the 270/70 intersection did precede a fall launch of B5 LTE on one tower.

    It seems the B5 LTE is only for coverage and CA because speeds are awful if connected to B5, as is the case in many areas.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    De Soto
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint_CDMA View Post
    Are you seeing any band 30 or band 4 in the St. Louis area?
    In fact yes my phone only supports 2/4/5/12(17)/29.
    AWS-1 (B4) I did record it on multiple towers (CellMapper). Especially near Bush Stadium and on multiple towers and oDAS (Clayton). The one City that all of the major towers have Band 4 is Festus in Jefferson County.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    De Soto
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    B4 is still relatively rare in the metro area overall but can be spotted in a few areas. It is prevalent in downtown STL and the 40 corridor out to Forest Park. Two sites around the intersection of I-270 and Hwy. 40 (I-64) also got it within the past week. Other than a few sites here and there, it looks like the next area getting a significant B4 rollout is the area surrounding the 270/255/55 intersection. Most sites around Lambert Airport also have B4.

    B2 is most commonly seen; B12/17 is on all towers but shows up less often than B2. B30 is on several higher-traffic towers all around the area, but far from universal. B5 is rare in the metro area but becoming more common in the outer MO suburbs and exurbs.

    Some parts of the metro area still have 2 channels of UMTS on B5 which precludes launching LTE. I've seen the second channel of B5 in Clayton and Des Peres as recently as the second half of 2017 and that will have to be shut down before B5 LTE can launch there. A May 2017 shutdown of the second channel of B5 around the 270/70 intersection did precede a fall launch of B5 LTE on one tower.

    It seems the B5 LTE is only for coverage and CA because speeds are awful if connected to B5, as is the case in many areas.
    There are some towers with only Band 12 in the Metro Area. One is located in Festus near Meyer Road and US-67. I recently logged Band 5 on a tower on US-67 and MO-110.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    De Soto
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    B4 is still relatively rare in the metro area overall but can be spotted in a few areas. It is prevalent in downtown STL and the 40 corridor out to Forest Park. Two sites around the intersection of I-270 and Hwy. 40 (I-64) also got it within the past week. Other than a few sites here and there, it looks like the next area getting a significant B4 rollout is the area surrounding the 270/255/55 intersection. Most sites around Lambert Airport also have B4.

    B2 is most commonly seen; B12/17 is on all towers but shows up less often than B2. B30 is on several higher-traffic towers all around the area, but far from universal. B5 is rare in the metro area but becoming more common in the outer MO suburbs and exurbs.

    Some parts of the metro area still have 2 channels of UMTS on B5 which precludes launching LTE. I've seen the second channel of B5 in Clayton and Des Peres as recently as the second half of 2017 and that will have to be shut down before B5 LTE can launch there. A May 2017 shutdown of the second channel of B5 around the 270/70 intersection did precede a fall launch of B5 LTE on one tower.

    It seems the B5 LTE is only for coverage and CA because speeds are awful if connected to B5, as is the case in many areas.
    Band 5 (5 MHz) seems very fast when it is the Primary Band on CA with 20 MHz Band 2 LTE in De Soto after 10 PM on eNB: 242710...

    Check out my @Speedtest result! How fast is your internet?
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3597125471
    Last edited by tsalisbury0; 02-02-2018 at 09:34 PM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    St. Louis Area
    Posts
    342
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    In fact yes my phone only supports 2/4/5/12(17)/29.
    AWS-1 (B4) I did record it on multiple towers (CellMapper). Especially near Bush Stadium and on multiple towers and oDAS (Clayton). The one City that all of the major towers have Band 4 is Festus in Jefferson County.
    Great information!

    I use an iPhone and can’t figure out how to access cell mapper. Cell mapper for Verizon is missing many cell sites. I know exactly where they are but don’t have any way of marking them on cell mapper. There are even sites shown that are marked wrong as well as a few AT&T sites missing. Is there any way I mark cell sites?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    606
    Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's not possible on an iPhone due to Apple blocking necessary information.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint_CDMA View Post
    Great information!

    I use an iPhone and can’t figure out how to access cell mapper. Cell mapper for Verizon is missing many cell sites. I know exactly where they are but don’t have any way of marking them on cell mapper. There are even sites shown that are marked wrong as well as a few AT&T sites missing. Is there any way I mark cell sites?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
  2. VX 9800 and Soonr - Working for anyone?
    By pconahan in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
  3. picks for the v300 and mp3's for anyone intrested.
    By chapinrico in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:21 PM
  4. HoFo slow for anyone?
    By TriBand81 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 04:36 AM
  5. have the boards been slow for anyone?
    By s01j4h in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 11:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks