Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Band 5 being prioritized and super slow for anyone else?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Band 5 being prioritized and super slow for anyone else?

My parents use a Nighthawk for their internet and lately they've been complaining about streaming not working amongst other speed related issues (speeds were around 15-50mbps, now they're 0.5-5mbps).

After some troubleshooting I've found the reason for the huge slowdown is when the Nighthawk connects to band 5, (I'm guessing no CA or CA with likewise slow 5Mhz wide band 4), it is super slow. Band 5 is only 5Mhz wide in this area (Tulsa) and the deployment is fairly recent.

My phone is likewise slow when it connects to band 5. It aggregates it with band 4 which is also only 5Mhz wide and apparently also slow.

When I've convinced the Nighthawk to connect to literally anything else speeds are much better (Band 30 @ 30-50mbps, Band 2 @ 40-75mbps, Band 12 with CA 60-75mbps). It almost always tries to connect to band 5 though even with a weaker signal. Currently I have external Yagi antennas pointed at a non-band 5 site but even so the nighthawk still tries to connect to this weak and slow band 5 signal instead.

It's to the point where I'm thinking about swapping the Nighthawk at my parent's house with the MOFI at our family cabin just to get manual band selection and avoid band 5 entirely. That would be a damn shame though given the Nighthawk should just aggregate all these bands for a (theoretically) collectively faster speed while the MOFI would just be using one band.

I'm hoping this is a temporary issue (CA disabled with Band 5 now, to be enabled later perhaps). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

For reference the bands available in this area
    Band 12 @ 10Mhz
    Band 2 @ 20Mhz
    Band 4 @ 5Mhz
    Band 5 @ 5Mhz
    Band 30 @ 10Mhz
    Intel iPhone 8 Plus:
    Verizon February UDP

Nighthawk LTE Hotspot:
    AT&T Unlimited Plus

Rural Internet:
    Mofi 4500 on AT&T iPad Unlimited
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Feedback Score
    Band 5 is really slow around here too. So, the MOFI allows you to lock bands? Will it lock to a specific cell id?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uofa314 View Post
    Band 5 is really slow around here too. So, the MOFI allows you to lock bands? Will it lock to a specific cell id?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using HoFo mobile app
    The MoFi will let you manually select an individual band but not CA combos or specific Cell Sites as far as I know.

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

AT&T insists on slapping B5 on very busy sites in OKC. I can’t figure out why at all.

I’ve seen the B30+B5 combo quite a few times in congested areas. I’m not a fan of this combo, as it is usually very slow.
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Swapped out modems from the Nighthawk to the MoFi. I locked the modem to band 30 and aimed my antennas at a relatively lightly loaded band 30 site. Speeds are much better now at around 35mbps.

Hopefully my cabin doesn’t have any band 5 available when I go back to install the nighthawk there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    I've never had fast B5 LTE, be it in VT, MI, CT, or elsewhere. I did have decent, but not great speeds when I was in OK, KS, MO, and AR last week, but I was parked on B30 a LOT. I don't recall seeing B5, but I wasn't checking a lot either.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I've never had fast B5 LTE, be it in VT, MI, CT, or elsewhere. I did have decent, but not great speeds when I was in OK, KS, MO, and AR last week, but I was parked on B30 a LOT. I don't recall seeing B5, but I wasn't checking a lot either.
    Yeah, AT&T parks us here in OK on B30 too much. They need to learn the concept of load balancing, also. Urban areas are a mess when everyone is on B30.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    B5 only LTE used to be great for me up in VT when I visited my mom, then several months later I experienced issues such as dismal performance and kick downs to HSPA+. B2 LTE without CA solved the issue a tab bit but I was stuck on a B2 most of the time. On my recent trip back to visit, AT&T deployed B30, 3x CA and one more cell tower in my mom's town so they actually made improvements with the limited spectrum they had. Now, I normally see B5 LTE in San Ysidro in CA because the existing B2, B4, B12, and B30 on 3xCA cell site was getting hammered, with almost consistent congestion during the day and into the night. The B5 LTE is a recent addition, but made a difference.

Rarely, am I parked only on B30, it's normally on B2 switching back and forth on 2x/3x CA for me in Los Angeles. AT&T appears to have figured things out in Los Angeles and VT.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I’ve only seen band 5 for aggregation. Never as a PCC in philly yet. Which makes sense, 5x5 uploads would be rough. Uploads are already a huge problem as it is.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    B5 LTE on a 5MHz FDD configuration is helpful for CA but it sucks on its own and for the most part is only useful to show that you have LTE deployed, but that’s it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), LG Phoenix 2, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For some reason when my phone gets moved to Band 5 and then moves back to either Band 2/4/12 my data times out and doesn't work. I usually have to restart the Cellular Radio/Modem in my phone. Does anyone know why?

Device(s)
    Droid X & Htc Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    My parents use a Nighthawk for their internet and lately they've been complaining about streaming not working amongst other speed related issues (speeds were around 15-50mbps, now they're 0.5-5mbps).

After some troubleshooting I've found the reason for the huge slowdown is when the Nighthawk connects to band 5, (I'm guessing no CA or CA with likewise slow 5Mhz wide band 4), it is super slow. Band 5 is only 5Mhz wide in this area (Tulsa) and the deployment is fairly recent.

My phone is likewise slow when it connects to band 5. It aggregates it with band 4 which is also only 5Mhz wide and apparently also slow.

When I've convinced the Nighthawk to connect to literally anything else speeds are much better (Band 30 @ 30-50mbps, Band 2 @ 40-75mbps, Band 12 with CA 60-75mbps). It almost always tries to connect to band 5 though even with a weaker signal. Currently I have external Yagi antennas pointed at a non-band 5 site but even so the nighthawk still tries to connect to this weak and slow band 5 signal instead.

It's to the point where I'm thinking about swapping the Nighthawk at my parent's house with the MOFI at our family cabin just to get manual band selection and avoid band 5 entirely. That would be a damn shame though given the Nighthawk should just aggregate all these bands for a (theoretically) collectively faster speed while the MOFI would just be using one band.

I'm hoping this is a temporary issue (CA disabled with Band 5 now, to be enabled later perhaps). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

For reference the bands available in this area
    Band 12 @ 10Mhz
    Band 2 @ 20Mhz
    Band 4 @ 5Mhz
    Band 5 @ 5Mhz
    Band 30 @ 10Mhz
    how did you disable band 5 and Ca on the nighthawk temporarily? I have a buddy having the same issue.

Thanks,
    Verizon LTE in Oklahoma City 2011
    still rockin in 2012

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ZacHolley View Post
    how did you disable band 5 and Ca on the nighthawk temporarily? I have a buddy having the same issue.

Thanks,
    The first time it happened i moved the modem to another part of the house and restarted it. That fixed it for a while then it reconnected to band 5 at the new location.

The next thing i tried was connecting external antennas aimed away from the band 5 tower. That worked most of the time but sometimes even with yagi antennas pointed away from the band 5 cell site it would still connect.

That’s why i ultimately switched to the MoFi 4500 so i could manually select band 30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brobot; 12-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    How do you like the mofi? I have the original 4500 non SIM its bricked but I liked it a lot. I hear the modems in the sim versions are incredibly fast. I also really like the sound of band locking as my folks have 3 different sites that have served them. Finally ending up coming in from the west but id love to try to.lock onto some.of the others to see and compare congestion.

As for band 5 around here in Keene New Hampshire the only place I've found band 5 LTE was in Westmorland up by the old jail. It seems to serve the county nursing home.primarily. Also one of the many unique places At&t has exclusive coverage while even us cellulsr fails miserably. AT&T seems to have some pretty solid network engineers especially coming from us cellular.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    As for band 5 around here in Keene New Hampshire the only place I've found band 5 LTE was in Westmorland up by the old jail. It seems to serve the county nursing home.primarily. Also one of the many unique places At&t has exclusive coverage while even us cellulsr fails miserably. AT&T seems to have some pretty solid network engineers especially coming from us cellular.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    Where abouts is this jail? It's probably being served by a Vermont site. I was at the nursing home in Westmoreland a while back and I connected to B5, and B2. The TAC and LAC(UMTS) were 1795 and 14999 which is Vermont southern market. And in some areas around there I was getting B12 from NH sites aswell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast