Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Is freedompop really 100% free? I want the truth and i can handle it....

Feedback Score
    Has anyone noticed a new item in Services called "FreedomPop Safety Mode"? I set up a FP account for a friend today, and beside the default $73 annual plan and default services that you have to disable, there was this "safety mode" for $5 semi-annually. I could not disable it.

Device(s)
    XT1526, XT1028
    Carrier(s)
    Ting, FreedomPop, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I just bought a brand new USC Moto E4 @ WM as well as an AT&T ZTE Trek 2 tablet from eBay. I then ordered a $0.01 LTE SIM from FP (within my existing account), and it shows up in there with my other three devices even though the order is still processing.

I went into the account this AM to turn off Auto-Top up & downgrade it. On top of the new Safety Mode thing, I do not see any available Basic LTE [Free] 200MB Plan!!!! The cheapest one is like $14.99 for 500MB! Did they discontinue free plans for LTE cards going forward? I haven't read anything about it anywhere.

Device(s)
    XT1526, XT1028
    Carrier(s)
    Ting, FreedomPop, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Nevermind! I was able to go down to the Basic LTE 200MB plan by "downgrading" the existing $24.99/MO plan. It just doesn't show up in "available plans" before you do that.

Feedback Score
    I just tried to signup for FP free service and right up front,FP wanted a $19.99 activation fee.

So much of FREE service.

Kyocera Smartphone Activation $19.99
    Basic 200 Show Details FREE
    FreedomPop Premium Plus Trial ($7.99/month) Show Details FREE
    Sub Total: $19.99

$19.99 activation fee. What part of FREE doesn't FP understand???

Maybe FREE means $19.99 to them...
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    That fee is for the cdma Sprint based phones. My understanding that is standard for Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerstuff View Post
    That fee is for the cdma Sprint based phones. My understanding that is standard for Sprint.
    Ok thanks, maybe FP should advertise "100% Free" except for cdms Sprint based phones!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    Ok thanks, maybe FP should advertise "100% Free" except for cdms Sprint based phones!!!
    Some offers have an activation charge and some do not or currently have a minimal one.

It specifies in each offer what the activation charge is. In general, those with an activation fee give you something extra for the money.
    https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo9 has only a 99 cent activation fee. And yes, this covers Sprint phones.

If you just sign up without using an offer, you get the regular price $19.99 activation fee. But if you do pay that, in my experience they will often give you some quite nice extra bonuses. It is up to you.

That is not unusual among other carriers or any kind of merchant who also have special offers that they do not give to every new customer who is unaware of them. You can get Sprint postpaid service BYOD for free for a year if you sign up under their special online offer but they do not tell you about it if you just walk into a store - they will charge you $50 a month instead.

It has been this way for years.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone(Verizon) Tracfone (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Kyocera Smartphone Activation $19.99
    $19.99 activation fee. What part of FREE doesn't FP understand???
    You want the service AND the phone for free?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Some offers have an activation charge and some do not or currently have a minimal one.

It specifies in each offer what the activation charge is. In general, those with an activation fee give you something extra for the money.
    https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo9 has only a 99 cent activation fee. And yes, this covers Sprint phones.

If you just sign up without using an offer, you get the regular price $19.99 activation fee. But if you do pay that, in my experience they will often give you some quite nice extra bonuses. It is up to you.

That is not unusual among other carriers or any kind of merchant who also have special offers that they do not give to every new customer who is unaware of them. You can get Sprint postpaid service BYOD for free for a year if you sign up under their special online offer but they do not tell you about it if you just walk into a store - they will charge you $50 a month instead.

It has been this way for years.
    This is true. You have to sign up through a promo link (easy to find. Just Google search or browse through forums like Slickdeals). I have two Sprint FP accounts. I paid 99˘ activation fee for each.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene44 View Post
    You want the service AND the phone for free?
    I have the phone. I just want their advertised 100% free service for free. Am I crazy? I mean they do advertise their 100% free service. I guess I should know better. There is no such thing as a free lunch...

Feedback Score
    I have the phone. I just want their advertised 100% free service for free. Am I crazy? I mean they do advertise their 100% free service. I guess I should know better. There is no such thing as a free lunch...
    You can have it without paying the full $19.99 fee by going to https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo9.

Not with free phone offers though.

But actually I agree their advertising is misleading (along with a lot of other"FREE" offers by other providers but they are one of the worst IMHO). You can still figure out what the real offers are in the case of FP with some effort.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You can have it for free (well $1.00) at https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo9.

Not with free phone offers though.

But actually I agree their advertising is misleading (along woth a lot of other"FREE" offers by other providers). You can still figure out what the real offers are though with a little effort.
    Don't you still have to add a CC and subject to auto top up or a min balance to turn off auto top up?

That said, now when I toggle off auto top up I get this:

To better manage your data usage, get additional bonus data and ensure you never go over your plan limit, you can subscribe to our Safety Mode service. You will never need to worry about overage fees.
    Safety Mode Feature Include:

Get an additional 500MB for the remainder of your current billing cycle
    Receive a 10% boost on your plan data every billing cycle
    Disable Automatic Top-up at any time
    Never pay for an overage when Automatic Top-up is disabled
    Control your data speeds whenever and wherever you are (CDMA only)

By clicking Activate, you are signing-up for Safety Mode service and will be billed for $4.99/MONTHLY
    and I no longer see the option to top up $5 or $10 or whatever to turn off auto top up, only paying $4.99 a month?
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Don't you still have to add a CC and subject to auto top up or a min balance to turn off auto top up?

and I no longer see the option to top up $5 or $10 or whatever to turn off auto top up, only paying $4.99 a month?
    That is a good point and I revised my wording to say "You can have it without paying the full $19.99 fee by..."

I myself have not used FP in a year but I never turned off auto-top-off when I did use it.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles This is new. Did not see this a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    This is new. Did not see this a few days ago.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So, FP now wants $4.99/mo to disable auto-top-up? And this just started yesterday? Wow!

I never had a need to disable auto top-up, so I never did it for any of my SIM cards. I for sure won't be doing it now!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast