Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Least expensive TEXT-ONLY Canadian cellphone plan option?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Awesome, thx for the hints re the AB number for tax purposes - do they require an address or anything or is it solely based off the chosen phone number?

I think I’m going to opt for Koodo - Actually getting some credit with the Sim card is a nice touch, I noticed that the 7-Eleven option includes none with the $10 cost of the SIM, and I did find some information on their minimum top up amounts that seemed eerily similar to my Fido situation above. Additional 911 fee on SpeakOut is also an additional fee in the end not there with Koodo.

Yeah, I may pay a tiny bit more in the end every month with Koodo but I’m getting the impression it’s going to be less hassle and worry in the end.

As for needing confirmations and such of texts having been received, not a big deal as the implementation does respond with confirmations that texts were received and acted upon.
    HoFo'er for 11 years and counting.

Quality, Not Quantity.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper99 View Post
    Awesome, thx for the hints re the AB number for tax purposes - do they require an address or anything or is it solely based off the chosen phone number?
    On Koodo postpaid service tax is based on the number's area code independent of billing address, likely the same on prepaid.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper99 View Post
    Fair enough, thanks, anyone know what their minimum topup is?
    If still needed, I believe SpeakOut is $25 with a 365 day expiry, but it looks like you've chosen Koodo anyway

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thx all. Ended up getting setup with Koodo because of the pre-auth payment discount, $15 increment refill values, 911 fee included, and simplicity. Took <60 seconds at a Koodo booth to get the SIM, it had $20 of credit on it already as mentioned (already ahead vs SpeakOut) and I set it up with a Banff AB number (just because I loved Banff) for tax purposes (thx for that tip!) and am up and kicking.

Texts between my main cellphone with Freedom and the new Koodo number are flying seamlessly.

Feedback Score
    ^You made the Right Decision. With Koodo you Get MMS & Worldwide Texting where with speakout as far as I know its only Texting within Canada & the US

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    ^You made the Right Decision. With Koodo you Get MMS & Worldwide Texting where with speakout as far as I know its only Texting within Canada & the US

Yeah, the international texting ended up being a good thing to have - I am doing some further automation with it now using IFTTT, and the app I'm using for such actually sends reply texts to confirm actions. Since the IFTTT phone number these texts arrive from is in the USA, these replies (albeit going into a bit-bucket somewhere) would have probably incurred extra cost had I used a different option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2