Phone
    RAZR V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

International travel with iPhone 8

About to buy an iPhone 8 and it looks like I’ll have the opportunity to travel internationally over the next 2 years.

I’ll be staying in Colombia like 3 months. Any chance I can get an iPhone 8 and when I go to Colombia, buy service for it down there?

Is there a list somewhere of the different countries that the different versions of the iPhone 8 will work in? I’ve seen those lists in the past. But can’t find them for the iPhone 8.

Colombia isn’t the only country though that I might get to go to.

Feedback Score
    it also depends on what model iphone 8 you buy, the verizon & sprint models will do both CDMA & GSM while the AT&T & T-MOBILE will only do GSM. when you land at the airport you can buy a local sim at the nearest convenience store.

Phone
    RAZR V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I should have said iPhone model. Not iPhone version.

I did find a page that says which iPhone model works in which country on Apple.com. It looks like I want model A1905, because that one supports the most countries. But that’s completely counterintuitive to me because in the past you’ve always wanted the Verizon model or the carrier-free model. But the A1905, isn’t that the AT&T model? With previous iPhones, I’ve never heard anyone say get the AT&T model for international travel.

Here’s the list I found in Apple.com: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If it is unlocked, you are good to go.

Phone
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier
    MiKE
    Feedback Score

International travel with iPhone 8

Really the iPhone model doesn’t matter for travellers. Every iPhone will have basic functionality in almost every country.

The country-specific versions might give you a few more bands, but you probably don’t need them.

And don’t worry about CDMA, it’s expired everywhere and on its last days in the USA.

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by levander View Post
    About to buy an iPhone 8 and it looks like I’ll have the opportunity to travel internationally over the next 2 years.

I’ll be staying in Colombia like 3 months. Any chance I can get an iPhone 8 and when I go to Colombia, buy service for it down there?

Is there a list somewhere of the different countries that the different versions of the iPhone 8 will work in? I’ve seen those lists in the past. But can’t find them for the iPhone 8.

Colombia isn’t the only country though that I might get to go to.

The Verizon (CDMA support) should essentially have the same support internationally than the ATT phone does.

The ATT model supports TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A), which is apparently a 3G standard in China. If that country is in your plans, that might be a better choice.

But the phone needs to be unlocked, and unless you ask, the SIM free model at the Apple store is the Verizon/CDMA support model.
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter what model you get.
    Apple does with all their models, I have always purchased the Verizon version of the iPhone and it has worked fine when I roam or use a local SIM card in Mexico. Unless it's Japan, either the CDMA or non-CDMA version purchased from Verizon Wireless or the Apple Store will work. Colombia uses B4 and B7, which is also used around the region.

Phone
    RAZR V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I see what you guys are saying about basic service working all over the world. And that Apple page I linked to. I didn’t realize it when I posted it, but it’s just listing countries where LTE/4G with work with what model of iPhone.

So it sounds like my options are to either be able to use any US carrier with the A1864(CDMA) model. Or only be able to use AT&T/T-Mobile in the US, but get to use LTE in more countries around the world with the A1905.

Most of you guys don’t seem to think LTE will matter much when traveling. But it’s looking like I’m going to be in foreign countries like 12 of the next 24 months. So I’m wondering if that puts me in a different situation than most of you guys.

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I guess I didn't see where the supported LTE bands are different between models. It appeared to me that the differences are in the "3G" areas. Such as CDMA/EVDO in the US vs TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A) in China.

Phone
    RAZR V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I guess I didn't see where the supported LTE bands are different between models. It appeared to me that the differences are in the "3G" areas. Such as CDMA/EVDO in the US vs TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A) in China.
    If you look here on Apple’s web site, they talk about the differences in 4G/LTE reception:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It seems like the models for AT&T and Verizon, the A1863 (GSM) and A1863 (CDMA), largely do have the same 4G/LTE COVERAGE. With the Verizon A1863 (CDMA) also supporting CDMA -which I think is a 3G technology.

But below those two versions is an A1905 iPhone 8, which I was wondering if I wanted. But now I’m thinking that’s just the iPhone 8 that Apple sells in most of the rest of the world - and that’s why it supports 4G/LTE in so many countries around the world. I don’t even know if it’s available in the US.

Sucks that the US doesn’t get a more international version of the iPhone.

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It looks like the A1905 and the A1863 support the same LTE bands. The A1863 supports CDMA and China. The A1906 is a Japanese only offering.

So it would appear that the US SIM free model is the best. The 1905 is the Intel model, which probably is cheaper for Apple to use.

This information seems to be spread over more than one page. The page showing country support is LONG.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by levander View Post
    If you look here on Apple’s web site, they talk about the differences in 4G/LTE reception:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It seems like the models for AT&T and Verizon, the A1863 (GSM) and A1863 (CDMA), largely do have the same 4G/LTE COVERAGE. With the Verizon A1863 (CDMA) also supporting CDMA -which I think is a 3G technology.

But below those two versions is an A1905 iPhone 8, which I was wondering if I wanted. But now I’m thinking that’s just the iPhone 8 that Apple sells in most of the rest of the world - and that’s why it supports 4G/LTE in so many countries around the world. I don’t even know if it’s available in the US.

Sucks that the US doesn’t get a more international version of the iPhone.
    AT&T sells and uses the iPhone 8 A1905 model inline with the rest of the world. You can buy this model unlocked at the Apple Store, also. Either model unlocked will work fine for international travel.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Phone
    RAZR V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    AT&T sells and uses the iPhone 8 A1905 model inline with the rest of the world. You can buy this model unlocked at the Apple Store, also. Either model unlocked will work fine for international travel.
    Okay, cool. So further info surfaces. I was thinking the A1863 (CDMA) was the Verizon model And the A1863 (GSM) was the AT&T model. But apparently the A1863 is just one model and it’s for Verizon? And the A1905 is for AT&T?

Thank you for clarifying that.

Phone
    RAZR V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    It looks like the A1905 and the A1863 support the same LTE bands. The A1863 supports CDMA and China. The A1906 is a Japanese only offering.

So it would appear that the US SIM free model is the best. The 1905 is the Intel model, which probably is cheaper for Apple to use.

This information seems to be spread over more than one page. The page showing country support is LONG.
    Yes, you are right. I just went through the supported LTE bands for both the A1863 and the A1905 models one by one. And the LTE bands lists are identical.

So why are the supported countries for each model different?

And the list of countries is very long. If you notice at the top of the page you can click on “iPhone 7” or “iPhone 8”, etc to jump down to the iPhone you’re interested in. The A1905 lists many more countries than the A1863.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    And LTE bands of B11, B18 and B19 for Japan.
    All the models will support common bands like B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7 and B8 which will be sufficient for most international travel.
    Unless, you’re a Verizon Wireless/Sprint customer or live in China or Japan you don’t need any other model other than the A1905.
    Even if I travel to Japan, I will still be covered on B1, B3 and B5. Getting the A1906 doesn’t make much sense to me when the A1863 will work, because I’m both an AT&T and Verizon Wireless customer the US and I’m rarely in Japan. It’s gotta at least work in Mexico because I spend a significant amount of time in Mexico and I’m also a customer of Telcel and Movistar.