Thread: Next Version of Android Might Allow Carriers to Hide Signal Strength

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post Next Version of Android Might Allow Carriers to Hide Signal Strength

Name:  signal-strength.png
Views: 256
Size:  115.6 KB

As you can probably guess, there's a more accurate means to determine your strength of your phone's cellular radio than that icon in your status bar. On Android you can find numerical values, measured in dBM and asu as in the grabbed screen above, by navigating through your phone as follows:

Settings > About phone > Status > SIM status

While you could make the argument that Google is already doing a pretty good job of hiding this information from the user, a curious new commit to Android P discovered by XDA would suggest that it could be removed altogether. The reason for doing so can be found in a comment on the commit:

Code:
    Hide signal strength when told by carrier
    Ok Google, you suck.

The good news is that the relevant APIs are unaffected—meaning that third-party Android apps like LTE Discovery and Signal Strength can still retrieve this data for the user.

At best, carriers might simply wish for their Android offerings to be less geeky and intimidating for new users; at worse they don't want any attention drawn to their sub-par networks. For me, it's yet another reason to steer well clear of carrier-branded hardware.

Source: XDA via Android Police
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    What's the big deal? You can always use an app like LTE Disc. The "bar" readings you get just give you a rough idea anyway.
    We need carrier branded hardware to make sure the phones have all the possible freq. used by your carrier and other features. Eg. TM gives users the ability to make calls over wifi. Good for when no cell signal or freee calls from overseas back to U.S.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A very stupid idea. Why do carriers always want to dumb down and hide everything from us? It's just as bad as when MS removed the defrag animation in Win XP.

Is having the Net in our pockets a good thing?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2
    I charge forward recklessly, leaving chaos in my wake.
    Boycott phones that lack microSD storage and removable batteries! Do not allow the user experience to be diminished!
    @moonwolf789