Thread: Porting into Total Wireless -- how long should this take?

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play Droid, Moto X PE, Docomo SH-02G, F-07E;
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, GoPhone,
    Feedback Score

Porting into Total Wireless -- how long should this take?

Hi All, despite a prior unsuccessful experience, I am giving Total Wireless another try on my husband's phone. We initiated a port into TW on Sunday, 12/24 from Selectel and it still hasn't gone through. I called Selectel yesterday and they immediately released the number, but then when I followed up with TW afterwards, they said they still needed to do some work on their end to complete the activation. This was yesterday. His service on Selectel stopped working, but his new service on TW isn't up and running yet.

How long should this take? I realize there's a holiday in there, but I was under the impression porting was a <60 minutes thing? I've never ported a number before. Both my husband and I use Google Voice numbers, so we haven't cared about the carrier numbers. However, he started using Facebook Messenger as his SMS app, not realizing it uses the carrier number. Now people at his work use it to contact him, so he wants to keep the number. Ugh.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I have ported 4 phones over. Never had the service cut and the TW not up and running. The most time took 2 days when I provided a wrong porting PIN, otherwise less than 20 minutes.
    My previous providers for those phones where Cricket, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Republic Wireless. Yep, I consolidated everyone...
    Last edited by SoNic67; 12-27-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    I ported 3 phones (2 from Page Plus and 1 from H2O) and all took within 10 minutes.

Device(s)
    HTC Imagio
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Mine took a few minutes only. Maybe it is something to do with the holidays. Hope it gets ported soon.
    Line 1 - Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII >>> Samsung Galaxy S6 >>> Total Wireless Samsung Galaxy S6
    Line 2 - Verizon Motorola z6c >>> HTC Imagio >>> Page Plus HTC Imagio >>> LG L22C >>> Samsung Galaxy SIII

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't! That's my suggestion for anybody else reading this otherwise be prepared for hell.

I wouldn't do it also if your number is valuable as they may loose it and not really care.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As I think @SoNic67 alluded to, when porting a number, the old service (Selectel for you) should stay in service up until the moment the new service (TW) begins service on the number. I'd keep the Selectel SIM in his phone until it shows No Service, then power down, insert the TW SIM, power up, and ensure you have TW service.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, GoPhone,
    Feedback Score
    I have now been on a chat with them for close to an hour. Can't get it working. UGH!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, GoPhone,
    Feedback Score
    At the risk of sounding stupid, can someone please explain -- step by step -- the process to switch from one carrier to another and port in a phone number? From one Verizon MVNO to another, with a Verizon compatible phone (Moto Z Droid)? I can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't working. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    It might not work between two MVNO's of the same provider. I hope you still have the Selectel number active... get a T-Mobile $3 SIM, transfer there the number (it's the fastest, took me like 20 seconds) and after one day (to allow the change to propagate in the whole system) transfer to TW.
    I had to use this method between RepublicWireless and Cricket - they just won't collaborate, shift the blame from one to another. T-Mobile will port anyone in seconds, if their coverage was better I would stay with them just because of that!
    https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    It might not work between two MVNO's of the same provider. I hope you still have the Selectel number active... get a T-Mobile $3 SIM, transfer there the number (it's the fastest, took me like 20 seconds) and after one day (to allow the change to propagate in the whole system) transfer to TW.
    I had to use this method between RepublicWireless and Cricket - they just won't collaborate, shift the blame from one to another. T-Mobile will port anyone in seconds, if their coverage was better I would stay with them just because of that!
    https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go
    I ported from TF to Selectel, Selectel to Boom!, then Boom! back to Selectel with no issues. So I doubt it had anything to do with 2 MVNOs of the same provider.

NOTE: This link further explains the 2 MVNOs of the same provider, namely Verizon. Interesting.

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...-more.html?m=1

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by mizwiz; 12-28-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Feedback Score
    i ported FOUR lines ALL on the website. I never called or chatted with any rep. all the lines ported over within 2 hours.

Strange how everyone's experience varies. (P.S. All the ported lines were previously on Verizon).

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Believe it or not, it’s actually a little more complicated (I.e., less automated) to transfer a number from one MVNO to another. The porting system was set up to allow transfers from one legacy carrier to another, and didn’t take MVNOs into consideration. So oddly, Verizon-Verizon ports can sometimes take days since someone has to manually make it happen.

On a more positive note, there is far less chance that any glitches in the system cause the number to be lost, since it would sit in the inactive Verizon pool for a few weeks if something went wrong. That would enable them to open a ticket with Verizon to get the number back.

I know waiting stinks but you may have to contact Total tomorrow to get a status update.