Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jetpack hotspot unlimited question

Feedback Score

Jetpack hotspot unlimited question

I am thinking about getting a Verizon Jetpack to use as my home internet. I bought a prepaid Verizon card and put it in an older iPhone to test speeds this month. (I have terrible ATT service on my phones). So far I am well over the GB limit and haven’t been slowed down at all. Two Verizon employees have assured me that I can use the Jetpack after the 15GB hotspot limit without slowing speeds unless there is congestion. However, I am seeing online that the Jetpack will slow all the connected devices to 600kbps regardless of congestion. Can anyone tell me exactly how this will work in real life?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbrad7 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a Verizon Jetpack to use as my home internet. I bought a prepaid Verizon card and put it in an older iPhone to test speeds this month. (I have terrible ATT service on my phones). So far I am well over the GB limit and haven’t been slowed down at all. Two Verizon employees have assured me that I can use the Jetpack after the 15GB hotspot limit without slowing speeds unless there is congestion. However, I am seeing online that the Jetpack will slow all the connected devices to 600kbps regardless of congestion. Can anyone tell me exactly how this will work in real life?
    This is correct, hotspot use gets throttled no matter what on new Verizon plan after 10 or 15GB data. Only using in phone will keep it normal speeds and be effected by deprioritization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Verizon limits to 600kbps after 10-15GB regardless of congestion.

Have you considered using an AT&T hotspot? For about $20-$90/mo you could get 22GB then deprioritization.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, I can only get around 1mbps down with ATT in my house, or I would definitely be going that route.

Thank you guys for confirming my fears!

Feedback Score
    might want to try antennas - also the hotspot normally gets a little better coverage than phones do although not much. I've got 300 gb on my att unite and still going strong

Feedback Score
    15GB is a lot of data ! I use a Verizon jetpack, $50 a month for 5 GB, overages cost me $10 per GB but I only go over about 4 times per year, the most I have used is 8GB, would be nice if I could sign my jetpack up for unlimited at $50 but Verizon won’t allow that because I don’t have a smartphone.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I might be willing to let one of my unlimited Jetpack only plans go if somebody needs it

Feedback Score
    @cocky01 I've got a AT&T unite explore i'm trying out what antennas would you recommend for an area with no visible cell towers?
    LTE signal stable but weak.

Feedback Score
    @cycledude
    15GB is nothing for a home internet connection expect about 6x that on average today. (Comcast says their median monthly data usage is 100 GB)

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @cocky01 I've got a AT&T unite explore i'm trying out what antennas would you recommend for an area with no visible cell towers?
    LTE signal stable but weak.
    mimo netgear antenna

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    I might be willing to let one of my unlimited Jetpack only plans go if somebody needs it
    might be interested but I’m pretty sure at&t jetpack would not work in my house, some at&t phones will work outside but so far none inside. There is no kind of high speed internet available at my location but even if it was I’d probably stick with the jetpack because I travel a lot.

Feedback Score
    This is all great information, and I really appreciate it. My ATT signal is very weird. About two miles down the road, I can get 90mbps down. In my house I can occasionally get 6mbps down, but that may only be one out of 10 speed tests for some reason beyond my understanding. I have though seriously about getting an antenna. If I get the mimo antenna as suggested above, will that go into an ATT hotspot, or will I need to get a booster as well?

Edited to add that I would be thrilled if I could maintain that 6mbps down from the ATT signal in my house. I just usually get something along the lines of 1mbps!

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Feedback Score
    DONT GO WITH VERIZON ! Go with At&t. My parents have a signal situation much like you and broadband issue. After probably 5 setups including Verizon udp in thw t1114 days.
    Currently:
    Modem Bandluxe R565 - You can purchase one believe through a Vermont Isp called VTEL wireless. The device is unlocked for all gsm carriers. Additionally on its own it has incredible signal strength in very low signal areas which translates to real speed.
    Additionaly my parents use an indoor -Wilson Panell directional attena
    In combination with a
    Wilson Drive - M amplifier its made for the car but less expensive and works perfectly for bring my parents 120 noise margin down to -77 its amazing.

They easily use 50 gigs every single month for a year or two now.

The connection is hooked up.to a ups and my dad tells me often how its rock solid 24/7 365 never ever a single issue.

Also for finding the closest tower for aiming purposes checkout
    The app cellmapper and even more importanrly the website
    Www.cellmapper.net

All the best.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6
    Carrier(s)
    VZW•AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    ? Which plan is this
    VZW•UDP-AT&T•INTL.UDP A

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM310 View Post
    ? Which plan is this
    $60 Unlimited 4G data plan with no voice minutes. This is a very rare plan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast