Thread: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Had my prepaid phone off during the holidays and just turned it on today to receive the following text from Rogers (so it was either sent on the 24, 25, 26, or today):

Rogers service msg: Starting at the end of 2018, our prepaid services will have a maximum allowed balance of $150. Any balance above $150 will no longer be available as of end of 2018. We will be in touch with more information on how you can use your balance soon, but in the meantime you can continue to use your balance as normal. Questions? http://rogers.com/contactus
    What are the options? The option that I think that they will do is to force those high balance users to go to postpaid. Unless they give me the option to get a new phone, there is no way that I would be able to use my balance or reduce it to under $150 before the end of 2018. The only other thing which would reduce my balance is for me to take options/services that I don't need (like data/SMS/addon services) that I don't need for the sake of just reducing my balance.

This seems ridiculous.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    This seems ridiculous.
    I am very skeptical of legality of it but someone would need to fight it
    Lots of people accumulate large balances
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't really care if they set a maximum BUT they've set the maximum to be too low especially when the 1 year renewal amount is $100 so let's say you only use $50 in the year, you top it up and you get a balance of $150. The following year, you use another $50 (reducing your balance to $100) and are forced to top up with $100 again if you want 1 year expiration and this time your balance only goes up to $150 which is what their new maximum is.

For me, my balance is significantly higher than $150 and there is no way that I can get it to lower than $150 within the span of 12 months unless I do some stupid things like call my landline phone with my prepaid Rogers phone and keep the connection open to deplete the balance or opt for services/add-ins/extras that I don't need or use my cellphone in a way that I wouldn't normally use it.

I'm sure that the only option that they will present is to switch to a postpaid plan where the lowest postpaid plan offered by Rogers is probably ~$20/month which includes a certain amount of minutes per month BUT how would that benefit me when my prepaid plan offers me NO minutes included and NO SMS included and I pay a high fee of $0.50/minute per call but I don't use up the $100 top-up that I've placed onto my account to carry forward the balance for another year.

Name:  Screenshot_20171227-142838.png
Views: 497
Size:  182.9 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score