Thread: Extending Nighthawk hotspot signal

Feedback Score

Extending Nighthawk hotspot signal

With the help of this forum, I bought a Nighthawk hotspot today and put it in the one spot of my house that gets an ATT signal. It is working beautifully, and I’m getting speeds of 8-12mbps down! My only problem is that it doesn’t push the signal throughout my house very far at all. Can I put a stronger router with the Nighthawk? An Orbi? Repeater?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), LG Phoenix 2, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbrad7 View Post
    With the help of this forum, I bought a Nighthawk hotspot today and put it in the one spot of my house that gets an ATT signal. It is working beautifully, and I’m getting speeds of 8-12mbps down! My only problem is that it doesn’t push the signal throughout my house very far at all. Can I put a stronger router with the Nighthawk? An Orbi? Repeater?
    I wouldn't use a Repeater due to the fact that the Nighthawk can only support a limited number of users at once. I would just disable the hotspot and plug a regular Dual Band or Single Band WiFi Router into the LAN ports on the Nighthawk and keep the routing to the dual band router so you can have more people one router (DO NOT USE BRIDGE MODE ON THE ROUTER as this will limit the number of users to the max limit the Nighthawk can support). Then you can add an additional Dual Band or Single Band Extender.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S8, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    I wouldn't use a Repeater due to the fact that the Nighthawk can only support a limited number of users at once. I would just disable the hotspot and plug a regular Dual Band or Single Band WiFi Router into the LAN ports on the Nighthawk and keep the routing to the dual band router so you can have more people one router (DO NOT USE BRIDGE MODE ON THE ROUTER as this will limit the number of users to the max limit the Nighthawk can support). Then you can add an additional Dual Band or Single Band Extender.
    This is what I do. I have an ASUS RT-AC87U connected to the Nighthawk via the Enet port. I leave the Wi-Fi on the Nighthawk disabled. Works great.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I have been reading online that the Nighthawk Ethernet is input only, so I didn’t know if I could connect a router to it that way or not. I have just enough understanding of all of this to be dangerous! I will say that I am forever grateful to this forum for encouraging me to try the ATT hotspot. I’ve gone from 1.0gbps down with DSL to 15gbps with the hotspot!

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nighthawk and Orbi are a rocking setup and I use this same setup in 4 rental homes and it just works !!

Feedback Score
    I have the Orbi, and I’m trying to set it up right now. It connects to the Nighthawk for about one minute, then loses connection. Do you have any tips?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know with my nighthawk I have to plug in the Ethernet with the nighthawk off and then turn it on and it works beautifully.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Plugging in the Ethernet while the Nighthawk was off worked to get it connected. (Thank you!) However, the speed I get through the Orbi WIFI if half what I get when I directly connect to the Nighthawk. Anyone know why that would be?

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbrad7 View Post
    Plugging in the Ethernet while the Nighthawk was off worked to get it connected. (Thank you!) However, the speed I get through the Orbi WIFI if half what I get when I directly connect to the Nighthawk. Anyone know why that would be?
    are you using the orbi app to measure the speeds ?

Feedback Score
    No, the ookla app. The Orbi actually lost the signal anyway. I have tried turning off the Nighthawk WiFi, which didn’t work with the Orbi and ended up requiring a factory reset to get it to do anything. I’m pretty close to throwing it all out the window!

Feedback Score
    I finally got it working perfectly! Just in case anyone comes here looking for help: I logged in to the Nighthawk and turned pass through on, but did not turn WIFI off. I unplugged the Nighthawk and then plugged in the Orbi Ethernet. Turned the Nighthawk back on and gave it a few minutes to work. I am so glad I stumbled upon this forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    This is what I do. I have an ASUS RT-AC87U connected to the Nighthawk via the Enet port. I leave the Wi-Fi on the Nighthawk disabled. Works great.
    What are your configurations? I plugged my brand-new Nighthawk into the same model, but there was no connection from ethernet or USB. Only charging.

Feedback Score
    I use my router with a keep alive ping every 5 sec or so, which keeps a tiny amount of data flowing through the Nighthawk. That way the port never shuts down. Also, I leave the battery in because it seems to freeze up frequently with the battery out. Getting around 30-40Mbps down via ethernet.
    Last edited by keason; 01-14-2018 at 02:22 PM.