Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 1GB Passport Plan for $60 Question

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question AT&T 1GB Passport Plan for $60 Question

International Daypass is $10/day but when you get the bill there is ~$3.50 of taxes attached: ~$13.50/day

If you subscribe for the Passport Plan for a month (1GB @ $60) I highly doubt it is just $60, does anyone know how much it is for taxes?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Remember that taxes are not factored into the monthly plan/feature cost with a postpaid plan in this case. It has always been this way

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Remember that taxes are not factored into the monthly plan/feature cost with a postpaid plan in this case. It has always been this way

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    Understood, does anyone know about what is the cost on taxes for the $60 plan?
    If $10 = $3.50 (*6)
    Is $60 = $3.50 * 6 = $21.00?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The tax rate is determined by the locality where you live. There is no uniform rate. The carrier is simply a collector of taxes and not the imposer of taxes. It is highly unlikely that there is a 35% tax rate. My wife used three International Day Passes in July of this year and paid $1.77 in additional taxes above the normal taxes. That is a 6.0% tax rate for Virginia.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The tax rate is determined by the locality where you live. There is no uniform rate. The carrier is simply a collector of taxes and not the imposer of taxes. It is highly unlikely that there is a 35% tax rate. My wife used three International Day Passes in July of this year and paid $1.77 in additional taxes above the normal taxes. That is a 6.0% tax rate for Virginia.
    It IS likely there is a 35% tax rate....on these plans (not the bill as a whole). I think you may have missed my thread on when I went to the Bahamas and came back to an extra 21 dollars in taxes. And how at&t charged me $3.19 in tax for EACH day pass/each day. They considered each day the pass went up to be a "separate international plan" if you will. So they taxed it as 6 different plans (I used 6 days worth of passes).

My thread on this is here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hlight=Bahamas

On Contrast, our very own Airb330 used a $120 Passport and was just charged taxes appropriate for his area (they seem just a hair below my state's) for ONE package (as opposed to the "6" packages I used).

Virginia does have a MUCH lower tax rate than us here in HELLinois (or PA for Airb), so it isn't surprising your tax was only 1.77 per day for these passes.

Here are the states and their tax rate by state, in case anyone wants to look again. Man this makes me sick to my stomach!

Name:  Wireless-Fees-2014.png
Views: 252
Size:  201.2 KB

Hofo shrinks the pic...so if you want the clickable link to it, here ya go: https://files.taxfoundation.org/lega...-Fees-2014.png

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Based upon previous posts, the original Poster appear to be from the same state as I , Virginia. many of the fees are per line rather than a percentage of the total. Even so, the highest rate shown is just over half of 35%.The tax rate is for the total of $30 worth of International day passes and not the rate per day. Rates per day apply to room rentals or automobile rentals. The percentages in the transactions discussed here are based upon the taxes per dollar of charge.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Based upon previous posts, the original Poster appear to be from the same state as I , Virginia.
    An earlier bill from March 2017:

$72.02 (intl plan)
    $59.67 (regular bill)
    ---
    $12.35 [$2.35 taxes]

This is for a single day however..

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Based upon previous posts, the original Poster appear to be from the same state as I , Virginia.
    The original poster jpiszcz? If he's in Virginia, why is he also getting a 35% tax charge per day on the day pass as well (3.50 per day pass)?

And frankly how can my day pass taxes be in the 30% range as well? I would expect the 15.81 % that my state taxes. Maybe international is different?

What ticks me off is....there is no explanations of any of this.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The latest was a friend's bill who used it for a day or so and said it was around $3-$3.50 now but I don't have a copy of the bill.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    The original poster jpiszcz? If he's in Virginia, why is he also getting a 35% tax charge per day on the day pass as well (3.50 per day pass)?

And frankly how can my day pass taxes be in the 30% range as well? I would expect the 15.81 % that my state taxes. Maybe international is different?

What ticks me off is....there is no explanations of any of this.
    As I stated earlier, the taxes are not per day. The taxes are a percentage of the total subject to taxes. When you eat at a restaurant, the taxes are based upon the cost of the meal. If it were per day, each customer would pay the same amount of taxes.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As I stated earlier, the taxes are not per day. The taxes are a percentage of the total subject to taxes. When you eat at a restaurant, the taxes are based upon the cost of the meal. If it were per day, each customer would pay the same amount of taxes.
    I spoke to people up and down the chain over the phone....and also management at my corporate store. They charge tax PER DAY on the day pass. If this had been like the restaurant you mentioned, I would not have been charged $3.xx tax per day. This is not itemized per day...they just lump it in under the tax section of the bill.

I'm telling you, they charge tax per "plan" and they consider the day pass a plan and since it's only good for 24 hours, you need a new "plan" the next day....and the next, etc.

Your normal cell bill usually only has one plan on it (unlimited plus...20 GB, etc) and you get charged your state tax rate on that one plan. Have 6 international day passes? Well you have 6 additional "plans" on your account. Just got the $120 passport for 30 days? That's just one additional plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The taxes are charged on the total price. Days are irrelevant. The taxes on three times $10 is the same as the taxes on one times $30. That is the distributive law of mathematics.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    It IS likely there is a 35% tax rate....on these plans (not the bill as a whole). I think you may have missed my thread on when I went to the Bahamas and came back to an extra 21 dollars in taxes. And how at&t charged me $3.19 in tax for EACH day pass/each day. They considered each day the pass went up to be a "separate international plan" if you will. So they taxed it as 6 different plans (I used 6 days worth of passes).

My thread on this is here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hlight=Bahamas

On Contrast, our very own Airb330 used a $120 Passport and was just charged taxes appropriate for his area (they seem just a hair below my state's) for ONE package (as opposed to the "6" packages I used).

Virginia does have a MUCH lower tax rate than us here in HELLinois (or PA for Airb), so it isn't surprising your tax was only 1.77 per day for these passes.

Here are the states and their tax rate by state, in case anyone wants to look again. Man this makes me sick to my stomach!
    The tax rate also differs between localities and/country so that will affect what you actually pay.
    If I use different addresses in the State of California , I will ended up paying different rates for the tax because some cities add their own fees on top of what you see in the chart so instead of 11.5% I can pay anywhere from 10% to 14% depending on the jurisdiction.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The taxes are charged on the total price. Days are irrelevant. The taxes on three times $10 is the same as the taxes on one times $30. That is the distributive law of mathematics.
    That's what one would think, but I'm telling you they consider day passes packages (not days) so they charge tax on each pass on your account. Each day pass cost $10 + tax because it's an individual package. Just like a passport is $120 plus tax....its one package.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    That's what one would think, but I'm telling you they consider day passes packages (not days) so they charge tax on each pass on your account. Each day pass cost $10 + tax because it's an individual package. Just like a passport is $120 plus tax....its one package.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    The day pass is purchased per day and billed per day. The passport plan is for 30 days from the start date which maybe in one billing cycle and end in the next billing cycle with only one charge + tax for the passport without a per day tax. I have purchased both the day pass and passport depending on my trip duration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast