Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem Porting From Verizon MVNO To Red Pocket

Feedback Score

Problem Porting From Verizon MVNO To Red Pocket

Yesterday I tried to port my number from Puppy Wireless to Red Pocket CDMA Verizon. I received an error message (can't recall exactly what it said) so I called support. One rep. suggested I port to a GSM, wait a couple of days and then switch to CDMA. Another rep. said features on my iPhone 6s wouldn't work on Verizon and I should use a GSM carrier.
    At this point, I'm frustrated and confused. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears and eternally grateful.

Feedback Score
    I had a similar issue trying to port and get on to Red Pocket CDMA. They suggested to me to activate on their GSM options, but I had already been without my number working well for about six weeks effing around with other providers. I ended up porting to Number Barn, waited a day, then ported to RP CDMA.

When you do eventually get on to their CDMA, make sure to reboot the phone (multiple times if you have to) to get the Verizon carrier settings over the air. Without them your data won't work, or will only connect to 1x.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Is your iPhone 6S GSM only or is it a Verizon 6S?
    Get $25 Cricket referral credit! Same AT&T signal for a lot less! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    My phone was previously used on AT&T and was unlocked before activating on Puppy Wireless.

During one of my many attempts at activation, I somehow ended up with a new number.

I just spoke with RP and they want me to put my RP CDMA SIM in my phone and see if it works. If so, they think I should be able to port my number. Won’t I lose my number if I put a sim activated for another number in my phone?

Thanks for the responses.

Feedback Score
    I believe I have read somewhere that sometimes there are difficulties porting in a number from a Verizon MVNO to Red Pocket CDMA (using Verizon).

I have also read there can be issues using a CDMA on Verizon if your phone was originally a Verizon phone, as opposed to an unlocked, SIM-free iPhone from the Apple store. Did Red Pocket CS tell you there was an issue with using your phone with CDMA? It sounds like that may have been what they were saying.

If you have an unlocked SIM-free Iphone, I would port your number from Puppy Wireless to any other cheap non-Verizon MVNO and then into Red Pocket CDMA.

MMS does not work on iPhones on GSMA, so that’s something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score
    The AT&T iPhone 6S has the Qualcomm chip and is CDMA capable

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The 6S supported CDMA in all US models. The 5S and older, and 7 and newer, are different.
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Feedback Score
    Once again, thanks to everyone who responded.
    I tried using my phone with a new RP number but it didn't work. My old plan with Puppy Wireless was due to renew in 24 hrs and I didn't want to risk losing my old number so I'm giving up and returning the SIMS.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just ported a phone number from Page plus successfully to red pocket with the help of their online chat technician.

Couldn't do it on their website myself. Got a transaction ID error message which I guess could be due to my number coming from Verizon mvno.

Don't give up! They can probably make it work. Can anyone really beat unlimited talk and text and 3 gig of Verizon data for $21 a month?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Just ported a phone number from Page plus successfully to red pocket with the help of their online chat technician.

Couldn't do it on their website myself. Got a transaction ID error message which I guess could be due to my number coming from Verizon mvno.

Don't give up! They can probably make it work. Can anyone really beat unlimited talk and text and 3 gig of Verizon data for $21 a month?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    As long as you can roam on Verizon owned towers state to state (if you are a traveler) then it sounds like a great deal.

How much to add data to the RedPocket plan monthly, if you need that? TW lets you add $10 for 5G more at any time upon demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    As long as you can roam on Verizon owned towers state to state (if you are a traveler) then it sounds like a great deal.

How much to add data to the RedPocket plan monthly, if you need that? TW lets you add $10 for 5G more at any time upon demand.
    Red Pocket Vzw includes the full Vzw native network nationwide, SMS in Vzw extended network areas, and also has LTE only service in Verizon LTE in Rural America (LRA) Program aka LTEiRA areas, which is the same as most Vzw MVNOs.

In my opinion RP data add-ons are too expensive to be used in any case except for an emergency, especially since they do NOT roll over after the end of the current monthly cycle.

Red Pocket offers excellent low cost plans, the best of any MVNO at this time in many cases, but in my opinion, are best only if you can use it without needing add-ons.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket CDMAV
    Feedback Score
    Had run into similar issues last week while I tried to port my number from Verizon to Red Pocket CDMA. I had to port my Verizon number to Number Barn and then port it from Number Barn to Red Pocket CDMA. Porting from Verizon to Number Barn took a day. Porting from Number Barn to Red Pocket took more than 2 business days because Number Barn is considered as wireline.

I was also told to port my Verizon number to one of the GSM networks maintained by the Red Pocket team. But the route taken via Number Barn also worked.

Device(s)
    z6tv
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the Number Barn suggestion. when my S7 Edge kept coming up ineligible during the Red Pocket activation numerous calls to RP support and Verizon couldn't resolve a thing. Porting to and from Number Barn worked a charm.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    I had a similar issue trying to port and get on to Red Pocket CDMA. They suggested to me to activate on their GSM options, but I had already been without my number working well for about six weeks effing around with other providers. I ended up porting to Number Barn, waited a day, then ported to RP CDMA.

When you do eventually get on to their CDMA, make sure to reboot the phone (multiple times if you have to) to get the Verizon carrier settings over the air. Without them your data won't work, or will only connect to 1x.
    Quote Originally Posted by prupRUcu View Post
    Had run into similar issues last week while I tried to port my number from Verizon to Red Pocket CDMA. I had to port my Verizon number to Number Barn and then port it from Number Barn to Red Pocket CDMA. Porting from Verizon to Number Barn took a day. Porting from Number Barn to Red Pocket took more than 2 business days because Number Barn is considered as wireline.

I was also told to port my Verizon number to one of the GSM networks maintained by the Red Pocket team. But the route taken via Number Barn also worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by gxd View Post
    Thanks for the Number Barn suggestion. when my S7 Edge kept coming up ineligible during the Red Pocket activation numerous calls to RP support and Verizon couldn't resolve a thing. Porting to and from Number Barn worked a charm.
    But NumberBarn costs $5 porting fee + $2 to park the number. That's $7 for just 3 days of "middleman" service.

I'm not so sure that's worth it for most thrifty prepaid users here.

Feedback Score
    I always used T-Mobile for solving my various porting incompatibilities (RepublicWireless to Cricket for example). T-Mobile accepts any porting (including "fixed" or VoIP numbers) and they are blistering fast (minutes).
    For the OP - it is always a big chance to have problems porting between MVNO's of the same provider (in your case VZW).

T-Mobile starter kit was only $3, but now they upped the price to $10, probably due to their high turn-over rate (everybody that uses them for in-between porting):
    https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...im-starter-kit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast