Thread: Can this phone be unlocked - conflicting imei reports :(

Feedback Score

Can this phone be unlocked - conflicting imei reports :(

Hi all

First of all, sorry to be 'that guy'...
    and thanks in advance for your help. I am quite clearly new to this...

I (stupidly) ordered a phone for my son on ebay. It is a Sprint phone - an iphone 8. I will be activating it in Canada for use on Telus or Rogers, so I planned to unlock it.

The fellow had posted the imei number so I could check if it could be unlocked and he indicated it was 'under financing'. Truthfully I had not fully thought through what that meant.

At any rate I checked the imei number on a couple of sites and it looked okay - it looked like this on a several free sites:

IMEI: xxxxxx
    Brand: Apple Apple IMEI checker is available
    Phone model: iPhone 8 A1863
    Find my iPhone: OFF
    iCLoud status*: CLEAN
    Blacklist status**: CLEAN

amd another looked like this:

ESN / IMEI: xxxxxx
    Blacklisted Not Indicated, This device does not appear to be globally blacklisted.
    Activation Status Clear
    Device appears to be activation ready.

and a third like this:

Blacklist status: clean
    Date of checking: 2018-01-01 18:04:19

So I thought it was totally in the clear. But then, of course once I had paid for the unit and it shipped (sigh), just as I ran another test and got this result:

Blacklisted Not Indicated, This device does not appear to be globally blacklisted.
    Activation Status Clear
    Device appears to be activation ready.
    Financed Financial Eligibility
    Device is not eligible for resale (financed).

That last line got me thinking so, I paid a dollar or so for a paid report on the imei, just to be sure. It came back like this:

IMEI: xxxxx
    Model: IPH 8 GRAY 64 SGL
    Model Number:
    IPH864GBGRY1
    Manufacturer: APPLE, INC
    BLACKLIST STATUS: UNPAID BILLS
    Clean Unlock Eligibility: DENIED
    SPCS: NO
    Activation: NO

Nevertheless, when I check the AT&T site and enter the emei, it says it is 'compatible' , but i do not know if that is relevant - just something a different thread said to try.

I also went to a site recommended by Telus called device check canada (devicecheck.ca) and entered the imei and simply got this message:

**Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.**

So - can anyone tell me if there is any way to unlock this phone for use on a Canadian carrier? If it cannot be done, I will need to start a return and possibly involve ebay on helping me out because I have messaged the vendor and he is ignoring me. Worst of all, I had to have it shipped to a US address and this will be a huge nuisance.

Any advice most welcome

Dave

Feedback Score
    I did some more research, and I think I can almost answer my own question here. Even if I can get this phone unlocked, Sprint can blacklist it at any time due to non-payment of bill, and I will have a paperweight on my hands. Only thing I do not know is if Sprint can blacklist a phone under these conditions in Canada. Anyone know?

Feedback Score
    Run as fast and far away from this deal as you can. it won't show up as blacklisted until the device payments are missed. There is little if anything that you can do to clear the payments due flag.

eBay should refund your cost for being "not as listed".

Another reason I do not buy cellphones from individuals on eBay. It's not worth the risk for me.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, he is going to give me a refund. appreciate it.
    Makes me wonder. It seems to me that any iphone you buy, locked or unlocked, could end up blacklisted if it was at some point stolen or lost or a result of a broken contract. If I were to find a phone I like second-hand, should I call the carrier and ask about its status? How would i even know the original carrier?
    This system is clearly not meant to move phones around!