Thread: will monthly bill credits be lost if I put a dumbphone on the line without $30 data?

Feedback Score

will monthly bill credits be lost if I put a dumbphone on the line without $30 data?

I'm still on a very old 700-minute plan with 3 lines.

Lines 1 and 2 are still under the 2-year contract until October 2018. Line 1 is on gUDP and line 2 is on the 2gb $30/month data plan.

The 2-year contract on line 3 just ended in December. The line has a dumbphone with no data plan at all.

I'm thinking about using line 3 to get a new smartphone with the $300-off deals.(the $300 comes as 24 equal bill credits over 24 months) When I tried to order it, Verizon's system asks me to select the 2gb $30/month plan, just like the one on my existing line 2. Obviously, there's no way around that if I'm ordering a new smartphone.

What will happen if I put the dumbphone back on line 3 and remove the 2gb $30/month data plan after the bill credit starts to come in? Will I lose the bill credits? The T&C only say the bill credits will end if the line is cancelled or terminated or when the DPP balance is paid off early... but I have no intention of doing so. I am keeping the line active for at least 24 months, just with a dumbphone on the line with a data plan... I'm also not paying off the DPP early.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You can't remove the $30 data plan in that scenario. The feature is locked in for 2 years even if you put a basic phone back on the line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    You can't remove the $30 data plan in that scenario. The feature is locked in for 2 years even if you put a basic phone back on the line.
    when this line was still under 2-year contract(which expired last month), it also had a concurrent device payment plan. it was done through a Best Buy promo that did not affect the 2-year contract, so when I log into my account, it shows the original 2-year contract end date, as well as a DPP balance.

A month after the DPP started, I put the old dumbphone back on the line and removed the $30 data feature using Verizon's website. I also put a data block on line just to be sure.

I paid off the DPP balance about 3 months before the 2-year contract end date of December. It cleared out the DPP balance and the 2-year contract end date remained for the next 3 months(before finally showing out of contract in December) Of course, it did not involve a promo bill credit, so I don't know what will happen to the bill credit if I did the same thing again by removing the data plan.

Feedback Score
    That may be correct. I was thinking of the behavior that used to happen with two year contracts and subsidized equipment. On device payments since there is no technical subsidy that feature may no longer be locked in for two years. I wasn't thinking about that and have actually never ran in to it. These plans are extremely rare today, especially for someone to do device payments on them.

The other issue though is the current $300 off trade in deals require either Go or Beyond Unlimited or The New Verizon Plan Unlimited from last February. Those are the only eligible plans.