Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile live with 600 MHz in 586 cities and towns!!

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser View Post
    Yes, but there are much bigger places in WI that have little or no T-Mobile coverage such as Wausau, Steven's Point, Marshfield, Minocqua, Rhinelander, all of Door County (big tourist area) etc. I don't know what the status is of conflicting TV channels in those areas though.
    Sure but the more populated cities are more Nimby and harder to work with to get city & county approval for cell Towers. Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure showed President Trump a small cell the size of a Pizza box and told Trump that it takes 1 hours to install on a utility pole but takes a years to get approve from some Cities and Counties to allow it to be installed. Less populated Cities and Counties are a lot easier to work with approving cell tower upgrades. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ting-processes

Feedback Score
    I am waiting for a reasonable priced phone to test T Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Sure but the more populated cities are more Nimby and harder to work with to get city & county approval for cell Towers. Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure showed President Trump a small cell the size of a Pizza box and told Trump that it takes 1 hours to install on a utility pole but takes a years to get approve from some Cities and Counties to allow it to be installed. Less populated Cities and Counties are a lot easier to work with approving cell tower upgrades. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ting-processes
    18 months for AT&T to receive permits to replace an old school burn pit chimney with a flagpole tower which is a smaller footprint. The chimney had not been used in decades.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    18 months for AT&T to receive permits to replace an old school burn pit chimney with a flagpole tower which is a smaller footprint. The chimney had not been used in decades.
    I welcome the carriers being able to sue the pants off those who harass them for non-noxious tower/radio placement.

Nimby should MYOB.

----

Too often local zoning boards act like little fascists, going way beyond what should be a limited role keeping factories from homes.

I recall a local zoning board hell bent to prevent a company from building a grocery store on land it owned. They kept issuing decrees to harass the company. The silliest ones included limiting business hours, requiring barracades keep wheelchairs from easily entering, and... get this... a requirement to put a children's playground in the middle of the truck unloading dock area.

I'd welcome their power to harass to be greatly limited.
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I welcome the carriers being able to sue the pants off those who harass them for non-noxious tower/radio placement.

Nimby should MYOB.
    Nimby's slowed the process but AT&T had no basis for a lawsuit since the zoning regulations covered the removal of the previous structure and installation of the cell tower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kansanian View Post
    Good news, but don't see any KS coverage where KTKA is. Guessing that means they need to move their TV channel?

If that's the case, that's a shame. Many spots still not covered with 700Mhz.

At least they seem to be making some progress with this spectrum. Not a bad thing.
    Hi fellow Kansan. KTKA is on Ch 49 which, I believe, limits T-Mobile to only block B in your area. However Neville Ray has stated they are focusing on rural areas and areas without B12 for now. KTKA is scheduled for Phase 8, January to March 2020.

Feedback Score
    Well fortunately these jurisdictions have the right to make their own zoning rules and govern their own communities. If anyone should mind their own business it is those who are from outside the community.

Too often local zoning boards act like little fascists, going way beyond what should be a limited role keeping factories from homes.
    If you don't live there, it's not for you to decide. Take an interest in your own local community. Let other people run theirs without constant outside interference.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cstark View Post
    Hi fellow Kansan. KTKA is on Ch 49 which, I believe, limits T-Mobile to only block B in your area. However Neville Ray has stated they are focusing on rural areas and areas without B12 for now. KTKA is scheduled for Phase 8, January to March 2020.
    I ask the guy (Sgteq on Reddit) that runs Spectrum Gateway to make a table of what TV channel interferes with the new 600 Mhz Blocks A-G. This was his reply.

"Unfortunately it's more complicated than a table. The rules are*here. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...C-15-141A1.pdf

Downlink:*the adopted rules require wireless licensees to conduct an OET-74 interference analysis before locating a base station within the culling distance of a co-channel or adjacent channel television broadcast station. As an alternative to requiring an OET-74 analysis, we could have specified an exclusion zone around a broadcast television station’s contour that wireless base stations could not be located within to prevent interference to television reception. However, this would have excluded the base stations from a much larger area than the adopted rules because it would not have taken into account the effects that terrain has on signal propagation and the characteristics of the base stations such as transmitted power and antenna height.
    Without knowing transmitted power and antenna height it's hard to define 600 MHz downlink exclusion zones. The reason I could say what WRNN and WLNY block is because they are in the uplink. The uplink rules are more defined (see paragraph 30):
    wireless user equipment may be operated within the contour of a television station if there is a frequency separation of at least six megahertz or more between the wireless spectrum block edge and a television channel edge
    if LTE carrier overlaps with TV broadcast then the exclusion zone is TV service area plus 5 km around it
    if LTE carrier has a gap of less than 6 MHz with TV broadcast then the exclusion zone is TV service area plus 500 meters around it"

Feedback Score

(Just watch out for that guy who keeps claiming that people streaming data in Houghton or Marquette will bring the T-Mobile network to its knees in big cities like Los Angeles. Because the T-Mobile network is so ridiculously fragile or something. Haha)
    There are about as many people in the Keweenaw peninsula or Marquette as at the Michigan basketball game today, and speed tests at halftime were >60Mb/s download at Crisler arena.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Millions of people travel annually to the Upper Peninsula.
    Millions? What time period, May - Sept mostly?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cstark View Post
    I remember hearing something not long ago on the news that there may be some signal problems as they are upgrading the transmitter. My guess is they are preparing for the changes. This channel is one that I can rarely tune to and not have artifacts and I'm not far from the transmitter (live on west edge of town). Hopefully when they make the changes/upgrades, the signal quality will improve. My neighbors also complain about this particular channel. My guess is that the necessary steps will be taken to move the station early...potentially this year. I really wish T-Mobile would add antennas to the water tower at SW Indian Hills Road and SW 17th Street.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Millions? What time period, May - Sept mostly?

There's a ton of visitors that come to the U.P. year round actually. Here are the statistics from the Mackinac Bridge Authority of how many vehicles travel across the bridge each month. This is just the Big Mac bridge and doesn't include travelers coming in from Canada and Wisconsin.

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/fares-...ic-statistics/

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    There's a ton of visitors that come to the U.P. year round actually. Here are the statistics from the Mackinac Bridge Authority of how many vehicles travel across the bridge each month. This is just the Big Mac bridge and doesn't include travelers coming in from Canada and Wisconsin. ....
    T-Mobile covers the Mackinac Bridge and I-75 to the Canadian border. Just because a lot of people cross the bridge doesn't mean they're all headed for Copper Harbor. Looking at some statistics for the International Bridge in Sault Ste. Marie, a fair amount seems to be just passing through. The last time I was in UP, I was glad I could roam AT&T but didn't feel T-Mobile needed to provide native service to every rock and pine tree in that mostly lonely wilderness. UP has about 1/3 of Michigan's areas but only 3% of the population. UP's population density is about 1/10 of Michigan as a whole.

Should T-Mobile provide some sort of service there? Yes. Customers do go there and having no signal in remote, desolate places is a good way to get them to change carriers. Does T-Mobile have to provide LTE service to every nook and cranny of UP? Certainly not. Not as long as they have some roaming for safety purposes.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    These matters should be for property owners, not governments, to decide. When it comes to such matters, the "outsiders" are those in government (no matter how small the government ).

And if someone from far away steps up (helping with legal action etc) for these owners to protect their basic rights from arrogant local government bullies, all the better.

Feedback Score
    Donald, I recall the recent profit reports from T-Mobile in which they say how important it is for them to cover every corner of the US. I think this does include the UP. I don't think having people have to roam on to AT&T in the United States is part of T-Mobile's long-term plan, and it might be sort of an admission of failure that their network is incomplete. But that is just a guess on my part.

Donald, I am sure you are right about a lot of the visitors to the U P only being on I-75. But there are very large numbers of people who go elsewhere in that region. For example, the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore alone has 600,000 annual visitors. As for Copper Harbor, the Keweenaw State Park has 275,000 annual visitors. It's easy to see where the Upper Peninsula's millions of visitors come from all across that region and not just that narrow freeway Corridor in the east.

Anyway once T-Mobile has completed coverage in all of the Upper Peninsula except for possibly Isle Royale, those who want to go to the U P and enjoy the solitude of not having TMobile can feel free to just shut off their T-Mobile phones.

The moose is out of the barn on this one, with coverage starting to show in the middle of the Upper Peninsula. They are well underway in their coverage expansion there, eh?

I am pretty sure I will be crossing the bridge later this year, so I am personally happy for it.

Name:  5Iob4yL.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  52.9 KB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast