Thread: OEM charger?

Phone
    iPhone SE
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

OEM charger?

i have a usb charger that goes into the lighter that i used for my android phone...can i take my appl usb cord and plug it it with out worry??

i need to go on a long drive and my battery is low

Feedback Score
    It depends on the output voltage and current of the car charger vs what the Apple wall charger outputs. Check the labels on both charger.

Another factor is if you plan to have the screen on a lot in the car - which will use more current affect the time it takes to charge the battery completely - assuming the car charger can even supply enough current to charge the Apple battery while the screen is off.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    i have a usb charger that goes into the lighter that i used for my android phone...can i take my appl usb cord and plug it it with out worry??

Feedback Score

If you mean an Apple Lightning-USB cable, no. Lightning only works on Apple phones and tablets.

Most Android phones use micro USB on the phone end. Cables are cheap. You might even get a good one at a dollar store - I have.

Most lighter chargers that I have tried barely put out enough to charge the phone if the screen is on, like running GPS navigation. It does work though.

Phone
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Yes you can plug your Apple cord in the usb charger. iPhones have safety technology that will prevent spikes and overcharges.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Phone
    iPhone SE
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Yes you can plug your Apple cord in the usb charger. iPhones have safety technology that will prevent spikes and overcharges.

so its safe, it just wont charge as fast depending on the output of the usb car lighter..and if it has to much out put the phone/Lightning cord will be ok like theres a "shut off" safety thing..

so whats the normal output i should be looking for for the car charger?

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Here is an article on that:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    just get a power bank, problem solve

Feedback Score
    so its safe, it just wont charge as fast depending on the output of the usb car lighter..and if it has to much out put the phone/Lightning cord will be ok like theres a "shut off" safety thing..

1 Amp for a phone.

The charge controller is in the phone - nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using HoFo mobile app

Phone
    iPhone SE
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    would i be able to use a 2 amp car charger on the iPhone SE? or is 2 amps just for ipads and the newest iphones

Feedback Score
    That would work perfectly. The phone will only draw what it needs.

would i be able to use a 2 amp car charger on the iPhone SE? or is 2 amps just for ipads and the newest iphones

Phone
    iPhone SE
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    see they have 2 amps and 2.1 amps and even 3.4 amps which is over kill for a SE...but itll be fine to get the 2.1 amp as well since the phone knows how much to take in?

in the car i do pandora-GPS with screen on for google maps and phone call/text here and there

so the apple brand is out of the question cause of the price but has any one heard of Apple MFI Certification? and which brands i should look for that aint that much money, just need a car charger and usb cable

Feedback Score

Yes. We have charged multiple iPhones using the USB port in different cars without damaging any iPhone. If you want faster charging, purchase a DC converter which will output enough current to use the wall charger. I do this for long road trips.

Phone
    iPhone SE
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Yes. We have charged multiple iPhones using the USB port in different cars without damaging any iPhone. If you want faster charging, purchase a DC converter which will output enough current to use the wall charger. I do this for long road trips.
    why just buy a faster car charger vs that?

so i can use my samsung 2 amp wall charger vs using my apple 1 amp wall charger while at home?

Feedback Score
    Samsung 2A charger should work fine, but best to actually test it at your convenience.

You don't really need to spend money on a fast charger unless you find your usage warrants it because the regular charge time doesn't fit your schedule/patience.

so i can use my samsung 2 amp wall charger vs using my apple 1 amp wall charger while at home?

Feedback Score

The USB charging for cars is .5A. A DC converter will provide a faster charge at 1A. If you are using GPS or other apps, your phone may not charge using the car USB port.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast