Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket IPv6

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Cricket IPv6

Cricket has implemented ipv6 support apparently. Was checking the information phone info menu (*#*#INFO#*#* for android users), and accidentally hit the ping button. Both v4 and v6 passed with replies, so I investigated further. In Settings > About phone lists a v4 and v6 address in the 2600:387:* range.

Followed up with checking ipv6 test websites with positive results. However, it's the same situation as ipv4, server public address, and different internal IP, but everything works fine. IPv6 websites work just fine.

Guess AT&T has to move forward with their mobile features, I know Verizon and T-Mobile have had v6 for a couple years now.

I don't like phones... I'm in it for the data.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Which phone/rom? Axon 7 with a 9/2017 build of resurrection remix (lineage os based) fails ipv6.

Feedback Score
    S8 and S8+ both come back unknown. I have the S8 running on Cricket firmware.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, H2O, Straight Talk, Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
    Cricket has implemented ipv6 support apparently. ... Guess AT&T has to move forward with their mobile features, I know Verizon and T-Mobile have had v6 for a couple years now.
    Where are you? I have a real AT&T SIM (iPad data-only) in one of my Android tablets and at least in the SF Bay Area, have never seen an IPv6 address assigned.
    Nexus 4 on Net10/AT&T
    Samsung Tab S2 SM-T817T on T-Mo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Which phone/rom? Axon 7 with a 9/2017 build of resurrection remix (lineage os based) fails ipv6.
    It's a Huawei Nexus 6P, running Paranoid Android 7.3.1. In my course of testing, I also got IPv6 on a Motorola Nexus 6, on Pure Nexus 6.0.1-20160803, as well as an AT&T LG G3 D850 on Fulmics 6.6. I hate using the sim adapters...

I also noticed the way Cricket does their throttling. They're using AMBR, which stands for Aggregate Maximum Bit Rate. They set a UE-AMBR of 8Mb/8Mb, so any APN you use, still get's that set. Did some testing with someone on postpaid AT&T, noticed they're enforced via APN-AMBR. They had the "Phone" APN in use, which set a 150Mb/25Mb AMBR. After having them change it to "nxtgenphone" it went up to 256Mb/50Mb, so I don't know where the UE-AMBR is enforced.

Simpler terms: UE == User Equipment == UE-AMBR is the maximum the UE can achieve.
    APN-AMBR limits it per APN setting, and if your phone uses multiple APNs they can add up until they hit the UE-AMBR limit. Although this isn't really useful as it's pretty much just rolled into one APN anyway and you're not going to hit those limits anyway.

Fun screenshot comparison: Cricket's 8Mb/8Mb AMBR vs Project Fi's 1073Mb/1073Mb AMBR.

Feedback Score
    What does all this mean for a lay person?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarlmcracken View Post
    What does all this mean for a lay person?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    IPv6 is the next step in the future of the internet. We actually ran out of IPv4 addresses awhile back and working on mostly recycled ones. With IPv6, there's pretty much no chance to max them out. There's a lot of technical things behind it, but in the future (say 5-10 years or more) everything will be moved to IPv6, some websites only support it and are not accessible on IPv4. As far as the AMBR info I posted, not much, it was mostly just an observation on my part.

Feedback Score
    Cricket has implemented ipv6 support apparently. Was checking the information phone info menu (*#*#INFO#*#* for android users), and accidentally hit the ping button. Both v4 and v6 passed with replies, so I investigated further. In Settings > About phone lists a v4 and v6 address in the 2600:387:* range.

Followed up with checking ipv6 test websites with positive results. However, it's the same situation as ipv4, server public address, and different internal IP, but everything works fine. IPv6 websites work just fine.

Guess AT&T has to move forward with their mobile features, I know Verizon and T-Mobile have had v6 for a couple years now.

weird it seems that ATT Prepaid doesnt have ipv6 yet

Name:  Screenshot_2018-01-07-14-29-30.png
Views: 409
Size:  102.9 KB

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    It is as if AT&T prepaid had been abandoned. No VoLTE, no WiFi calling either
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Aio Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm, I have IPv6 now on my phone 2600:387:0:902::12

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised no one has figured it out...

For those who want IPv6, change the APN to actually support it. The "default" setting in the APN is IPv4 only, simply change this to IPv4/IPv6 and it should work. If you cannot edit the APN, make a new one with the same information. Also for those with AT&T Prepaid should also get it with an APN edit. Please let us know if it works for you as well. Also going to toss this extra bit of info out there: Using AT&Ts MMSC works better than cricket's. Simply change the MMSC and Proxy "aiowireless.net" to "mobile.att.net" (i.e proxy.mobile.att.net and http://mmsc.mobile.att.net ) it's a lot more stable, at least in my testing. I've yet to have a "failed" mms using the att settings vs aiowireless settings.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Neat, one day iOS will get these features. Maybe in some update of some sort... 🤔

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised no one has figured it out...

For those who want IPv6, change the APN to actually support it. The "default" setting in the APN is IPv4 only, simply change this to IPv4/IPv6 and it should work. If you cannot edit the APN, make a new one with the same information. Also for those with AT&T Prepaid should also get it with an APN edit. Please let us know if it works for you as well. Also going to toss this extra bit of info out there: Using AT&Ts MMSC works better than cricket's. Simply change the MMSC and Proxy "aiowireless.net" to "mobile.att.net" (i.e proxy.mobile.att.net and http://mmsc.mobile.att.net ) it's a lot more stable, at least in my testing. I've yet to have a "failed" mms using the att settings vs aiowireless settings.
    When you say works better, what benefits have you noticed from using the mobile att net settings in APN?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    Neat, one day iOS will get these features. Maybe in some update of some sort... ��
    It does, but you're just not seeing them while using Cricket - there are a handful of items that can be made available or unavailable, depending on what the SIM card in the phone and Carrier Settings file dictate. This is how AT&T and Cricket have the manual carrier selection menu disabled, but T-Mobile has it available. There are a few places where you can side-load APNs (in fact, for some prepaid services, you have to do this so that MMS works), but unless there's a specific need for IPv6, I'd wait until Cricket issues the ability in a Carrier Settings Update.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @Skreelink Good observation. My apn was forced to ipv4. Setting it to ipv4/v6 enabled ipv6 connectivity on the axon 7. Wonder if it makes any difference in terms of battery life¿?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast