Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Att international day pass $10 a day

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would follow Andy89094's advice in his post above about buying a prepaid sim card where ever you start. Or you could buy a Three UK sim off of ebay for a couple dollars, activate it here in the US, buy the L20 add on for 12Gb of data and have it all set up before you leave the US. I did this when I went to Germany last Fall.

Another option to look at is Vodafone UK. They have a Big Value Bundle of 20gb for L30.

With either of these options, your phone needs to be unlocked.

Eric

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Another way to compare prices is, if you want/need computer access while traveling, the normal 128kb (is it still that for free) on T-Mobile is kind of slow. If you compare the $10+/day fee for ATT/Verizon to hotel Wi-Fi, it is cheaper to just use ATT/Verizon.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb82 View Post
    After paying att an exuberant amount in data over international travel. I've recently moved to Tmobile and can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would overpay on Att considering the free Tmobile offering and even moreover that nobody copied that feature.

It bothers me cause it means if Tmobile can offer it these other carriers are making a fortune
    I already tried T-Mobile's 128 kb/sec international service in Japan and S.Korea and wasn't impressed with the data speeds, I'm only getting this in two countries with some of the fastest, and dense networks in the world. The only lifesaver was the .20¢/minute I needed to get my luggage back but for data and messaging I simply sucked up and paid AT&T for their Passport plans. I place a premium on a data when traveling outside the USA and the free 128 kb/sec or 256 kb/sec for international service just doesn't cut it so I either get a local SIM or stick with AT&T.

T-Mobile used to be generous with their data usage in Mexico and Canada, but shortened that to a cap of 5GB of high speed data and throttled afterwards when they couldn't keep up with the bills. AT&T is better in this regard, because I still get Unlimited data in either Mexico and Canada, and AT&T actually owns a network in Mexico so it costs them (next to) nothing for US customers to use that network.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Another way to compare prices is, if you want/need computer access while traveling, the normal 128kb (is it still that for free) on T-Mobile is kind of slow. If you compare the $10+/day fee for ATT/Verizon to hotel Wi-Fi, it is cheaper to just use ATT/Verizon.
    The 128kbps is fine for maps and such if you need something when you hit the ground before you can get a local SIM for another phone. The $10/day is a good deal if you're using a lot of data, unfortunately the Passport packages have gotten way more expensive, as $30/120MB or whatever it was is a reasonable amount as a backup to a local SIM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Another way to look at it is that $10/day is peanuts to drop to have really good international access if you're traveling abroad and spending hundreds of dollars a day to do so in most cases. If you're staying abroad for a long time though, it's not a good deal at all. For people with family abroad, the 1GB Passport isn't too horrible, but it still sucks to not have a lower entry point on global roaming.

Unfortunately, it's the usual game playing that these carriers have done since, well, forever, when you'd get a certain number of minutes for $X, and then it was $0.xx/min over that with a higher rate for the overages, etc, etc. If they were honest commodities dealers, they would just charge $10/GB and $0.20/min metered by the MB like Project Fi for global data and be done with it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    The 128kbps is fine for maps and such if you need something when you hit the ground before you can get a local SIM for another phone. The $10/day is a good deal if you're using a lot of data, unfortunately the Passport packages have gotten way more expensive, as $30/120MB or whatever it was is a reasonable amount as a backup to a local SIM.
    I would have agreed with this in 2013, but in 2018 I don't. 120MB is really tight, even with very light usage and downloading google maps. I burned through this quickly in Paris in 2016, but in Tokyo in 2013 it seemed like tons of data. For me, I'd rather pay $60 for 1GB and not worry than $30 for 120mb and worry about going over.

Another way to look at it is that $10/day is peanuts to drop to have really good international access if you're traveling abroad and spending hundreds of dollars a day to do so in most cases. If you're staying abroad for a long time though, it's not a good deal at all. For people with family abroad, the 1GB Passport isn't too horrible, but it still sucks to not have a lower entry point on global roaming.
    I agree. Honestly, $30 or even $60 is nothing compared to the cost of a trip abroad. We've booked a few trips to Europe this year for dirt cheap on United and $60 is still 5% of the ticket prices. Since AT&T locks every phone on NEXT, using a local SIM isn't super convenient anymore and I do view the rates more as a convenience to use my Philadelphia based # and not fumbling around getting a local SIM to work. The 1GB passport plan for $60 is an OK deal I feel like. I bet retentions may even be able to help, because they were offering deals in 2016 $60 for 800mb (50% off) and a $50 1GB plan earlier in 2017. Sure Google Fi gives you international access in their base price, but honestly Google Fi is way more money than my AT&T plan, and I don't see the value in it at all. T-mobile, similarly, is more money than AT&T for me and I'd rather pay for full-speed than deal with 128kbps. However, having those choices is overall good for consumers.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    I would have agreed with this in 2013, but in 2018 I don't. 120MB is really tight, even with very light usage and downloading google maps. I burned through this quickly in Paris in 2016, but in Tokyo in 2013 it seemed like tons of data. For me, I'd rather pay $60 for 1GB and not worry than $30 for 120mb and worry about going over.
    It would be fine for backup if you're planning on buying a local SIM once you get there, and having two phones. Or for people who use very little data, and keep it off unless they need Google Maps or something. The overages were per MB as well, now they're back to a block of data. When I went to Vancouver in 2013, I monitored my usage like a hawk, but their meter wasn't working properly, and I checked it at the rest stop on I-5 right after you get over the border, and it was at like 117MB or something, phone back on AT&T, and then it later went over, so I had to call them and get a refund, as it charged me for a whole additional $30 block, which is stupid, I wouldn't have bothered keeping track if it were per MB.

I agree. Honestly, $30 or even $60 is nothing compared to the cost of a trip abroad. We've booked a few trips to Europe this year for dirt cheap on United and $60 is still 5% of the ticket prices. Since AT&T locks every phone on NEXT, using a local SIM isn't super convenient anymore and I do view the rates more as a convenience to use my Philadelphia based # and not fumbling around getting a local SIM to work. The 1GB passport plan for $60 is an OK deal I feel like. I bet retentions may even be able to help, because they were offering deals in 2016 $60 for 800mb (50% off) and a $50 1GB plan earlier in 2017. Sure Google Fi gives you international access in their base price, but honestly Google Fi is way more money than my AT&T plan, and I don't see the value in it at all. T-mobile, similarly, is more money than AT&T for me and I'd rather pay for full-speed than deal with 128kbps. However, having those choices is overall good for consumers.
    Yeah, and I've found that hotels, ground transportation, etc, ends up being way more than the plane tickets anyway. That's what they're counting on basically, people looking at the price compared to the trip and not worrying about another $60.

NEXT is for people who can't do math, you pay the same as if you buy the phone outright from AT&T and get it unlocked (on Android) or directly from Apple for the iPhone to get an Unlocked Qualcomm phone, so that's a non-issue. I would still have a second phone if I traveled more though, as then I could have my home SIM and a local SIM at the same time.

Yeah, Project Fi isn't terribly relevant in the overall market anymore, due to their now relatively high per GB rates, as well as their limited phone selection and coverage. However, people who travel globally a LOT love Fi, either as their primary line, or a secondary line. T-Mobile is a bit cheaper than AT&T apples for apples, but given their domestic network, I wouldn't be terribly enthused about using them as my main carrier. If I had to scrimp and save, I'd probably do T-Mobile, but I like my domestic AT&T service.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Last year, it cost me $10/day + tax for about 10 days. And I bumped up my plan to give me additional data. So maybe $140 extra. But I had my existing phone number, and saved money compared to Wi-Fi at the hotel. And my father was still alive and I didn't make things difficult for him.

But 8-10 days is kind of a gray area. No brainer if I was there just 3-4 days, since local sim and complexity of getting it isn't worth it. 20+ days, just get a local SIM.

Especially since I have an iPad too. Tether it when needed to phone. I have external power pack.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    If you are just calling back to the states, and if you can live with just using your phone when there is a WiFi connection available, (and your phone has WiFi calling)...use wifi calling and everything is FREE. My sister did this over the summer in Scotland. Used WiFi only. No $10 per day. Nothing. No charges at all.

Something to consider.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Meteor View Post
    If you are just calling back to the states, and if you can live with just using your phone when there is a WiFi connection available, (and your phone has WiFi calling)...use wifi calling and everything is FREE. My sister did this over the summer in Scotland. Used WiFi only. No $10 per day. Nothing. No charges at all.

Something to consider.
    If I get a local SIM, I'll stick it in an extra phone. So I would use Wi-Fi on my main phone.

But more important to me, having a phone for data/maps/etc.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    If I get a local SIM, I'll stick it in an extra phone. So I would use Wi-Fi on my main phone.

But more important to me, having a phone for data/maps/etc.
    I like that idea...a LOT!

Feedback Score
    Last year, it cost me $10/day + tax for about 10 days. And I bumped up my plan to give me additional data. So maybe $140 extra. But I had my existing phone number, and saved money compared to Wi-Fi at the hotel. And my father was still alive and I didn't make things difficult for him.

But 8-10 days is kind of a gray area. No brainer if I was there just 3-4 days, since local sim and complexity of getting it isn't worth it. 20+ days, just get a local SIM.

Especially since I have an iPad too. Tether it when needed to phone. I have external power pack.
    Yeah, I was looking at two phones for 14 days, and the AT&T charges looked horrendous. And due to AT&T postpaid's dishonest advertising/claims about rates, the taxes and fees on top of two phones at $10 each for 14 days really added up a lot. (Yeah, it is dishonest: once you have experienced Cricket or postpaid T-Mobile, which are honest when they advertise AND charge you an amount which includes fees and taxes, it makes it harder to deal with a sneaky carrier like AT&T postpaid that does the "bait and switch" and advertises one rate and ends up charging a lot more)

The "local SIM" idea seemed very risky, as I'd not done it before, and it would rely on finding some kiosk or place and finding the right one... knowing I might not be able to find anything at all or would mess up my travel running around airports or train stations trying to find something.

A while back, I used something called "National Geographic Mobile" or something like that to get SIM in advance, already activated. But they didn't activate it, which made it a nightmare.

Feedback Score
    NEXT is for people who can't do math, you pay the same as if you buy the phone outright from AT&T and get it unlocked (on Android) or directly from Apple for the iPhone to get an Unlocked Qualcomm phone, so that's a non-is
    My brother uses NEXT to get the newest/best iPhone every year, and it costs less for him than buying the phone outright. That math looks pretty good to me

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    In some cases phone financing isn't a bad option. For me I gauge it on how much of an increase I'm comfortable with on the total cell bill. If I'm happy with the total bill then $30 extra for a phone doesn't matter as much.

If there's a chance i may switch carriers then financing an $800 phone wouldnt be ideal

My first choice is a phone that maxes at $500 so either way is hard justifying 800+ for a phone but for me total bill can help offset it

One thing I won't do is pay good money whether financed or not for a phone without b71. I kind of like the iPhone X but apple can kiss my butt if they think I'll pay that enormous price and not have b71.

A$200 phone is a different story but for $800+ the phone should have what I want
    Last edited by themanhimself; 01-10-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Well both our iPhones are unlocked since I always pay off att next immediately and just resale it myself when the time comes.

My thinking is it’s $10/day. We will use it for 5-6 days (we are in Barcelona for 2 days one day before cruise and one day after the cruise). And will use att international day pass 3-4 other days. So I expect us to use about $50-60 for roaming. Just simplicity.

My main concern is if I can tether and use the hotspot with international day pass. That it makes it even more worth while since I will be with my wife all the time and the kids and we wouldn’t need to buy 2 day pass plans each day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast