Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87

Thread: Att international day pass $10 a day

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    DC Area/Orlando Florida
    Posts
    1,897
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    0

    Att international day pass $10 a day

    Will be going on cruise in Europe. So staying in the port city of Barcelona Naples etc 10 plus hours each day so will be decent just to pay $10.

    My question is the hotspot. Can we use the personal hotspot (I’m on unlimited data plus)? Figure just pay for one device and the rest of the family can share the 10gb hotspot data for the day.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,406
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    That won't work if you're separated though. If you're traveling for a while, I guess you could have day pass on one phone, and passport packages on the others and just communicate with iMessage or FB Messenger/WhatsApp.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    With the passport plans, unlimited international texting is available with all plan levels. iMessage, Facebook messenger and WhatsApp requires data for the communication and app for overhead.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    DC Area/Orlando Florida
    Posts
    1,897
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    0
    We will be together. That’s why i asked about the hotspot option. I can force iPhone to airplane mode and still have WiFi calling back to USA numbers and still communicate as I’m back in USA. I understand I won’t be able to call foreign countries for free on WiFi calling. But I just want the hotspot to avoid paying another $10 per device.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,000
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    We will be together. That’s why i asked about the hotspot option. I can force iPhone to airplane mode and still have WiFi calling back to USA numbers and still communicate as I’m back in USA. I understand I won’t be able to call foreign countries for free on WiFi calling. But I just want the hotspot to avoid paying another $10 per device.
    I *think* it'll work just fine. Make sure you have a portable battery pack on you, and turn off auto- turn off.
    What cruise line are you taking? I also took a cruise in June out of Barcelona. Ended in Naples.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the bandwidth is available, wifi calling will work. My experience with AT&T roaming in Europe, speeds can be slow at times and may not be sufficient for hotspot wifi calling.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,406
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    With the passport plans, unlimited international texting is available with all plan levels. iMessage, Facebook messenger and WhatsApp requires data for the communication and app for overhead.
    That's a good point! I kind of derped out on that one. You can just use SMS. iMessage and Whatsapp and whatnot use a negligible amount of data, so either is as good as the other practically speaking. Overages are charged by the MB, so if iMessage pushes you a MB or two over your limit, you won't roll into another $30 bucket like you used to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    DC Area/Orlando Florida
    Posts
    1,897
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    That's a good point! I kind of derped out on that one. You can just use SMS. iMessage and Whatsapp and whatnot use a negligible amount of data, so either is as good as the other practically speaking. Overages are charged by the MB, so if iMessage pushes you a MB or two over your limit, you won't roll into another $30 bucket like you used to.
    Passport will likely be retired in favor of the international day pass plans so no overcharges for the $10/day international day pass

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,406
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Passport will likely be retired in favor of the international day pass plans so no overcharges for the $10/day international day pass
    Day Pass does not replace Passport, as it works in fewer countries, so both will continue on. However, I just checked their site, and they put out new Passport plans that are significantly more expensive, but also include a LOT more data (1GB or 2GB), but they are back to the old method of charging an overage for a block of data. UGH. These really seem like two steps backwards for AT&T's International offerings. The $30 one was great as a backup to a local SIM, now you're stuck dropping $60.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    After paying att an exuberant amount in data over international travel. I've recently moved to Tmobile and can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would overpay on Att considering the free Tmobile offering and even moreover that nobody copied that feature.

    It bothers me cause it means if Tmobile can offer it these other carriers are making a fortune


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,039
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would purchase a prepaid SIM card in whichever EU country you land & start your cruise as the EU has abolished roaming charges last summer. Data packages are generally very generous, work across borders in the EU and prepaid SIM Cards are easy to obtain with just a passport. Much cheaper than paying $10/day.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,406
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb82 View Post
    After paying att an exuberant amount in data over international travel. I've recently moved to Tmobile and can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would overpay on Att considering the free Tmobile offering and even moreover that nobody copied that feature.

    It bothers me cause it means if Tmobile can offer it these other carriers are making a fortune
    On your first point, T-Mobile's coverage is still not up to snuff in the US, although I'd consider moving my main line to T-Mobile and getting an XFinity Mobile line with per-GB data as a backup for domestic travel if I traveled internationally a lot. I believe AT&T also has more total countries covered than T-Mobile's freebie data, although I could be wrong if T-Mobile has added more.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,492
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb82 View Post
    After paying att an exuberant amount in data over international travel. I've recently moved to Tmobile and can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would overpay on Att considering the free Tmobile offering and even moreover that nobody copied that feature.

    It bothers me cause it means if Tmobile can offer it these other carriers are making a fortune


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah... I had to go to Europe in May, and before this realized I had to ditch Cricket in order to get EU roaming. I first looked at AT&T for our two phones, and found it would cost from $300 to $400 for the two-week trip in EXTRA CHARGES, above and beyond the cost of the significantly more expensive AT&T plan.

    But I found with T-Mobile, I could get something that cost $5 more than what we were paying on Cricket, and it came with a nice travel plan.

    When all was said and done, we ended up paying about $20 for the trip (voice phone calls). Far better than $400.

    Now, why would anyone "overpay" for the AT&T travel? I guess I might have done this if money were no object: the AT&T data is faster. But I just didn't want to pay such a massive amount, which is to be honest ridiculous considering what Americans pay for data in the US and what Europeans pay for data over there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,492
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    On your first point, T-Mobile's coverage is still not up to snuff in the US, although I'd consider moving my main line to T-Mobile and getting an XFinity Mobile line with per-GB data as a backup for domestic travel if I traveled internationally a lot. I believe AT&T also has more total countries covered than T-Mobile's freebie data, although I could be wrong if T-Mobile has added more.
    That's true. I am one of those waiting for T-Mobile expansion to get "up to snuff", and sticking with it partially due to needing to do more international travel.

    I have unlimited-amount roaming onto AT&T from T-Mobile, so that helps. Even though it is slow.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    That's true. I am one of those waiting for T-Mobile expansion to get "up to snuff", and sticking with it partially due to needing to do more international travel.

    I have unlimited-amount roaming onto AT&T from T-Mobile, so that helps. Even though it is slow.
    I am in the same holding pattern for T Mobile domestic expansion to cover areas where I travel. Switching for my travel to Canada, Mexico and Europe would be a bonus to switch to T Mobile.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2017, 09:20 AM
  2. T-Mobile - Day/Week Data Pass - 5gb/150 days/$10
    By donnabecker in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM
  3. 10$/30 days data pass on mf61 hotspot?
    By enozemail in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
  5. Att stock for 6/29/10 release day
    By iphonechamp404 in forum Apple
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Bookmarks