Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you all stay with Verizon

Feedback Score
    This is why I do now I get this in my living room and I live out in the true boonies. No one else can even provide service.

Feedback Score
    I used a Sprint MVNO for a couple of years. It was ok and cost next to nothing. I wanted to try Verizon for better coverage. I bought a Vz phone and tried it. The coverage is better. We also have AT&T. Around here they are as good as Vz or better.

T-Mo is just atrocious around here. I expect they will get better over the next few years.

I'm keeping Vz until it is time to replace the phone. The phone does not do VoLTE so it will be completely obsolete in a couple of years. If my Vz phone died today I would switch to AT&T.

I don't see those super high data speeds on VZ around here. I generally get 0.5 to 5 Mbps. I don't notice 2 Mbps or better, but I am seeing far too much of the 0.5 Mbps far too often. They are seriously underprovisioned around here.

Last month I parked by the Vz central office with cell antennas on the roof. I got 0.5 Mbps with a -80 dBm signal. That stinks.

We also travel to West Virginia occasionally. AT&T is better there. Like, as in, Vz is completely absent in most of the state.

This is in central Virginia. Not a major metro area, but not out in the boondocks either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    While I live and often travel through some of Verizon's weakest areas, they usually can maintain 4G with only a few drops to no service - so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone here. As for other places out of this particular region, Verizon works great.

I actually plan on dropping my Verizon service later this month due to the many network problems I have with them.

But, for most people in other states, Verizon has competitive pricing, reliable service, and quite fast speeds. I'm sure that's exactly why people choose them over other carriers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app
    How did they do in Dallas overall ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 & 7+, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    How did they do in Dallas overall ?
    Verizon did well in the immediate DFW metroplex. They seem to be lighting up 256 QAM on a handful of sites right now. Excellent peak speeds, average speeds and latency. There were a few dead spots near downtown, but other than that, everything worked fine. Definitely could use some more density and small cells, like AT&T has implemented.

Once outside of the metro however, is where Verizon started dropping off pretty quickly - and AT&T gained strength.
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

The one thing I learned from this forum is no carrier is perfect for everyone and I was really surprised to learn how different each carrier is in different markets.

Maybe for me itís just a really difficult decision because both verizon and t-mo are really good in my area. But honestly I am glad that both are good because competition will make the networks better and lower costs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I used a Sprint MVNO for a couple of years. It was ok and cost next to nothing. I wanted to try Verizon for better coverage. I bought a Vz phone and tried it. The coverage is better. We also have AT&T. Around here they are as good as Vz or better.

T-Mo is just atrocious around here. I expect they will get better over the next few years.

I'm keeping Vz until it is time to replace the phone. The phone does not do VoLTE so it will be completely obsolete in a couple of years. If my Vz phone died today I would switch to AT&T.

I don't see those super high data speeds on VZ around here. I generally get 0.5 to 5 Mbps. I don't notice 2 Mbps or better, but I am seeing far too much of the 0.5 Mbps far too often. They are seriously underprovisioned around here.

Last month I parked by the Vz central office with cell antennas on the roof. I got 0.5 Mbps with a -80 dBm signal. That stinks.

We also travel to West Virginia occasionally. AT&T is better there. Like, as in, Vz is completely absent in most of the state.

This is in central Virginia. Not a major metro area, but not out in the boondocks either.
    I also travel into WV on occasion for work as well but the service for Verizon (signal wise but didnít really check speeds) seemed ok but I never really went far off I-79 which has pretty good coverage and into Charleston which also has good coverage.

Everywhere I read says that ATT is pretty much king in WV and they will only get better with the first net agreement.

Also correct me if Iím wrong but doesnít T-Mo (post paid only) have an agreement for LTE roaming with US Cellular which has good coverage in WV. But Iím assuming that agreement will only stay in place till they can roll out band 71 in WV and then will have native coverage.

Maybe with T-Mo and ATT making so much progress in WV will force Verizon into increasing coverage. Plus hopefully Verizon can take advantage on the new agreement that they signed with ATT to share costs on new towers and increase coverage as well.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'll add one point not mentioned yet. It seems folks have swung from tiered pricing to unlimited, and no in between. There are folks out there that don't need unlimited. My wife and I (just 2 lines) don't save money on unlimited through Verizon-- if we had 4 it would be a different story.

Anyway, they offer a single-line plan at $55/mo. With corp. discounts even after tax it's about $50/mo for 5Gb/data that rolls over. So if I average 1Gb/mo of data (which I do), then I have 4Gb of carry over each month. In short, I generally have 9Gb of data available. I also have safety mode turned on, so if I do go over, there is no overage fee. The 5Gb plan also includes mobile hotspot.

So what happens to me is I'll rarely have a heavy data use month (typically when traveling) which is what all the "banked data" is for.
    I actually use more data but I'm typically home or at work where I have good WiFi, and comcast's xfinity wifi works in a lot of places away from home too.

So anyway, wanted to make the point that until single-line unlimited becomes the price of family plan unlimited, there's still a place for limited. And also, some simply don't need unlimited in any event.

-Dan

PS: I should add, Verizon bar none, has best coverage where I live. In addition, I'm in a smaller rural market so congestion is a non-issue.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I'll add one point not mentioned yet. It seems folks have swung from tiered pricing to unlimited, and no in between. There are folks out there that don't need unlimited. My wife and I (just 2 lines) don't save money on unlimited through Verizon-- if we had 4 it would be a different story.

Anyway, they offer a single-line plan at $55/mo. With corp. discounts even after tax it's about $50/mo for 5Gb/data that rolls over. So if I average 1Gb/mo of data (which I do), then I have 4Gb of carry over each month. In short, I generally have 9Gb of data available. I also have safety mode turned on, so if I do go over, there is no overage fee. The 5Gb plan also includes mobile hotspot.

So what happens to me is I'll rarely have a heavy data use month (typically when traveling) which is what all the "banked data" is for.
    I actually use more data but I'm typically home or at work where I have good WiFi, and comcast's xfinity wifi works in a lot of places away from home too.

So anyway, wanted to make the point that until single-line unlimited becomes the price of family plan unlimited, there's still a place for limited. And also, some simply don't need unlimited in any event.

-Dan

PS: I should add, Verizon bar none, has best coverage where I live. In addition, I'm in a smaller rural market so congestion is a non-issue.
    2 great points,

For price point I truly believe that once they get a big rollout of massive MIMO to occur it will help the fear of congestion to go away then Verizon will bring the corporate discounts to the unlimited plans. Verizon is probably still afraid of the making the unlimited plan to cheap that it would be a viable replacement to home internet and they would get a big influx of traffic that would slow the network down.

We use about between 10-12GB a month of our 16 GB plan so we are always rolling data over so their is no reason to pay for more data if we arenít using it but to be honest if I knew I had unlimited data I would probably stream more often.

I also have Comcast here and itís everywhere so their are tons of Wi-Fi hotspots. Just driving down the road I notice my phone is constantly connecting to Wi-Fi networks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    2 great points,

For price point I truly believe that once they get a big rollout of massive MIMO to occur it will help the fear of congestion to go away then Verizon will bring the corporate discounts to the unlimited plans. Verizon is probably still afraid of the making the unlimited plan to cheap that it would be a viable replacement to home internet and they would get a big influx of traffic that would slow the network down.

We use about between 10-12GB a month of our 16 GB plan so we are always rolling data over so their is no reason to pay for more data if we arenít using it but to be honest if I knew I had unlimited data I would probably stream more often.

I also have Comcast here and itís everywhere so their are tons of Wi-Fi hotspots. Just driving down the road I notice my phone is constantly connecting to Wi-Fi networks.
    Verizon has made it clear that they will pursue LTE technologies for capacity gains rather than buy more spectrum. Since Pittsburgh already has great density Iím sure theyíll slap on LAA small cells in those areas which would give them a 60 MHz boost. I wish they buy more spectrum though but weíll see how it all evolves.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    So everyone here either lives in an area covered most effectively by Verizon, or are well traveled!? Did I get that right...
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    So everyone here either lives in an area covered most effectively by Verizon, or are well traveled!? Did I get that right...
    Some do and some donít. I just like this groups opinions because they are very open and honest. Plus most of the people in this group actually tried other carriers before giving their input and they understand that coverage is very market dependent.

From all the discussion I can tell that itís no longer an easy decision choosing a carrier now that t-mobile has really stepped up.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Some do and some don’t. I just like this groups opinions because they are very open and honest. Plus most of the people in this group actually tried other carriers before giving their input and they understand that coverage is very market dependent.

From all the discussion I can tell that it’s no longer an easy decision choosing a carrier now that t-mobile has really stepped up.
    A light user who spent most of his time on W-Fi could easily use T-Mobile in my market, even as it exists today...and this is NOT a strong T-Mobile market. It's already usable. If that same friend went into rural areas more often, or had family on his plan so he felt like he was responsible for more than just himself, he wouldn't use them here. That's the best way I can explain it. The duopoly simply has much more reliable dense coverage, especially if you're not in a top 100 market. That is NOT a slam on the lower 2 carriers. One of them is improving rapidly, as I admitted earlier. If they keep this up, in 3 or 4 years they will probably be my carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    A light user who spent most of his time on W-Fi could easily use T-Mobile in my market, even as it exists today...and this is NOT a strong T-Mobile market. It's already usable. If that same friend went into rural areas more often, or had family on his plan so he felt like he was responsible for more than just himself, he wouldn't use them here. That's the best way I can explain it. The duopoly simply has much more reliable dense coverage, especially if you're not in a top 100 market. That is NOT a slam on the lower 2 carriers. One of them is improving rapidly, as I admitted earlier. If they keep this up, in 3 or 4 years they will probably be my carrier.
    I also think with the competition (t-mo band 71 and AT&T first net) Verizon is now being forced to go back to looking at increasing coverage areas instead of just adding capacity and speed.

Hopefully Verizon spends the next 3-4 years pushing harder and doesnít give the other carriers time to catch up. Thatís probably why Verizon signed the agreement AT&T to share the cost and co exist on new towers being constructed. Itís a win win for both companies, new towers equals more capacity and coverage at 1/2 the price making expansion into more rural areas more financially attractive.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is king in most areas no doubt about it, verizon is the only carrier that works reliably at my home. T-Mobile signed a contract to rent space on a cell tower here and supposedly will have coverage sometime this summer so MAYBE I will have another option then.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I pay a premium to have piece of mind. I don't have to worry about not having service indoors, basements and everywhere I travel. What good is it without a network to back it up?

Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    This is why I do now I get this in my living room and I live out in the true boonies. No one else can even provide service.
    Did they just crank up the backhaul? Why does your app have VPN on the bottom right?

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast