Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cheap plan for only Calling and messaging

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cheap plan for only Calling and messaging

    I am looking for a cheap cheap plan only for calling and texting, will be getting 3 lines, no data is needed

    Does anyone know of a really cheap plan, be it grandfathered, through retentions, not offered anymore etc


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,315
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Didn't mention how much calling/texting. But prepaid sounds like what you need.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Didn't mention how much calling/texting. But prepaid sounds like what you need.
    unlimited calling and texting.
    my concern with prepaid is they cut you off after certain number of minutes, 3000, albeit unlimited plan
    and not to mention, att prepaid does not have volte

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,406
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    One of the Wal-Mart MVNOs has a talk/text plan for $25/mo. However, ones with data start at $35/mo, and they might even have one with a gig for $25/mo so if your expectations of cellular service in the year 2018 are that low, it barely costs any more to have some data. If it's just for very high usage conference calls or something, just use a prepaid line if/until it gets shut down, and try a different one and use your real phone in the mean time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    665
    Feedback Score
    0
    Cheapest AT&T branded plan is the prepaid $35 or $30 with autopay plan for unlimited talk & text with 1GB data.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    unlimited calling and texting.
    my concern with prepaid is they cut you off after certain number of minutes, 3000, albeit unlimited plan
    and not to mention, att prepaid does not have volte
    I believe Cricket has some VoLTE approved phone's.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,185
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    I am looking for a cheap cheap plan only for calling and texting, will be getting 3 lines, no data is needed

    Does anyone know of a really cheap plan, be it grandfathered, through retentions, not offered anymore etc
    If you can use Sprint, Unlim talk and text with no data is $15 a month at Tello.

    I have no idea if they will cancel you for excessive "unlimited" use. I would ask them. My experience with their customer support has been very good.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    1,569
    Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    my concern with prepaid is they cut you off after certain number of minutes, 3000, albeit unlimited plan
    and not to mention, att prepaid does not have volte
    Cricket has a $25 unlimited talk/text only plan (no MMS). Since it is owned by AT&T (not exactly a MVNO), it probably doesn't limit the minutes and texts. Also, if you got one of their phones, you could have VoLTE. For an extra $5 per line, you would get 2GB data (and MMS).

    For $100 total, you could have 4 lines on Cricket, each with unlimited everything.
    Last edited by mframe; 01-10-2018 at 05:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    71
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    I am looking for a cheap cheap plan only for calling and texting, will be getting 3 lines, no data is needed

    Does anyone know of a really cheap plan, be it grandfathered, through retentions, not offered anymore etc


    Thanks
    Here's what you do.

    1. Get a number on AT&T Prepaid ($30) and sign up for Google Voice using that number.
    2. Pick a virtual number for Google Voice, download Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer.
    3. Open an AT&T postpaid account and transfer the prepaid number to it, selecting the $10 1 GB iPad Plan

    1 GB is good for 2,750 minutes, after which you will get charged overages in 1 GB increments. I believe it's $10/GB.
    I've done this before, but I took the sim card out and only used the Google Voice line over wifi, so I didn't deal with using LTE or failing an IMEI check.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    165
    Feedback Score
    0
    Consumer cellular would be $55/mo. plus tax for 3 lines unl talk & text + 250 MB. 5% discount if AARP might help offset some of the taxes

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    Here's what you do.

    1. Get a number on AT&T Prepaid ($30) and sign up for Google Voice using that number.
    2. Pick a virtual number for Google Voice, download Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer.
    3. Open an AT&T postpaid account and transfer the prepaid number to it, selecting the $10 1 GB iPad Plan

    1 GB is good for 2,750 minutes, after which you will get charged overages in 1 GB increments. I believe it's $10/GB.
    I've done this before, but I took the sim card out and only used the Google Voice line over wifi, so I didn't deal with using LTE or failing an IMEI check.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond and mentioning it in steps. really appreciate it. sounds not a bad idea, stick the sim in a hotspot and then broadcast

    I might consider it too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMPhonePhreak View Post
    Consumer cellular would be $55/mo. plus tax for 3 lines unl talk & text + 250 MB. 5% discount if AARP might help offset some of the taxes
    Thank you for mentioning the plan.

    Would you know if they have unlimited international calling plan, like ATT does, world plan

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,078
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    Thank you for mentioning the plan.

    Would you know if they have unlimited international calling plan, like ATT does, world plan
    Why don't you just go to their website and read about their plans?

Similar Threads

  1. Cheapest plan for only Calling and messaging
    By ahg in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 11:56 PM
  2. what is the cheapest plan for unlimited texts and emails only
    By qipengart in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 05:12 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
  4. Can you change calling plan for 1 week and change back?
    By dental4usa in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks