Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy no longer charging MTS fee, $60 refill now 13% off

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I think this is difficult to quantify.
    For instance, coverage depends on where you work and live, which is different for all of us.
    Price is different for all of us depending on what plan you chose.
    The good thing about MVNO’s is you are not married to them and thus there is no reason to have an allegiance towards one or the other. Go where the best deal is for you.
    The same is true with postpaid. I can move my 7 lines today if I wanted without any penalty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    The same is true with postpaid. I can move my 7 lines today if I wanted without any penalty.
    I think the vast majority of people are on some time of commitment. Those things are in place to keep poor people poor. Get this phone on credit means you can't afford it all at once. I used to do the upgrades years ago when buying a phone and reselling it would net me extra funds. I was never into a contract I couldn't buy out for less than I could sell my phone after my first line and getting effed by Cingular.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Hum.

Can someone explain why/how a sim card has to be activated, as they are worthless except as a, gateway to connect to a carrier. Sort of like a paper cup is essentially of no value, except to capture, hold, and dispense a drink,etc

Over the last 20 or so years I've bought hundreds of sims, some of them in sealed packs of 10,20,50 or more, all of them working 99% of the time, yet I've ran across sims for whatever reason that wouldn't work both with at t and cricket, and while I believe one bad one may have come from bb, there really appears to be no rime or reason for failure, as an AT&T employee, at Corp store bad an issue several years ago with a new activation for me.

An issue with prepaid cards is a different animal.
    Last edited by plane; 01-20-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score

Best Buy no longer charging MTS fee, $60 refill now 13% off

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Hum.

Can someone explain why/how a sim card has to be activated, as they are worthless except as a, gateway to connect to a carrier. Sort of like a paper cup is essentially of no value, except to capture, hold, and dispense a drink,etc

Over the last 20 or so years I've bought hundreds of sims, some of them in sealed packs of 10,20,50 or more, all of them working 99% of the time, yet I've ran across sims for whatever reason that wouldn't work both with at t and cricket.
    I think that the SIM has to be put into AT&T/Cricket's database and be accounted for and if it's not done by the carrier themselves, those acting on their behalf (Best Buy) scan/enter it and it gets added. I think maybe this is to prevent someone from just coming up with an ICCID themselves and making unauthorized SIMs?

I would guess it's like a gift card for most stores/restaurants - if you took one off the shelf and took it home, you couldn't reload it until the initial load/scan at the store.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I think that the SIM has to be put into AT&T/Cricket's database and be accounted for and if it's not done by the carrier themselves, those acting on their behalf (Best Buy) scan/enter it and it gets added. I think maybe this is to prevent someone from just coming up with an ICCID themselves and making unauthorized SIMs?

I would guess it's like a gift card for most stores/restaurants - if you took one off the shelf and took it home, you couldn't reload it until the initial load/scan at the store.
    Since we're guessing, mine is that it's just one of those things, sometimes stuff happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post

However what happens at BB is that SIM cards via online order could not be scanned/activated, i.e. entered into Cricket's database, even if you go to BB to pick up those SIM cards AND ask BB to scan them.

Feedback Score
    ecs0013 was correct. Just like giftcards in store, they have no value until they are scanned and activated by a cashier. These BB cricket SIM cards were not properly scanned when they were shipped from their warehouse. It has been going on since last May. I am surprised that BB quality control manager has not been replaced.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    ecs0013 was correct. Just like giftcards in store, they have no value until they are scanned and activated by a cashier. These BB cricket SIM cards were not properly scanned when they were shipped from their warehouse. It has been going on since last May. I am surprised that BB quality control manager has not been replaced.
    I don't argue with your expertise, but again just last week,I bought two packs of 50 each cricket sims, in what to have been cricket factory sealed cellophane. I've done this numerous times thru the years with AT&T sims, again sealed with bar codes,etc,etc. So what are they doing, mass scanning or whatever. I realize anything is possible, but practical is another thing.

Do you have actual experience with"activating" a sim or just guessing. Also, regardless of whether a sim is scanned, authorized or whatever, it's value is still zero except for it's intended use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    I think the vast majority of people are on some time of commitment. Those things are in place to keep poor people poor. Get this phone on credit means you can't afford it all at once. I used to do the upgrades years ago when buying a phone and reselling it would net me extra funds. I was never into a contract I couldn't buy out for less than I could sell my phone after my first line and getting effed by Cingular.
    That's not true any more with post paid. 2 year contracts with termination fees are very rare. Any installment plan can be paid off early at any time without penalty and the subscriber can leave.

We are on post paid since the 7 unlimited lines with NA Roam, hot spot and some other discounts is cheaper than any comparable unlimited prepaid plan. I travel to Canada and Mexico several times per year with some trips being 3 weeks before returning to the US.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score

I don't argue with your expertise, but again just last week,I bought two packs of 50 each cricket sims, in what to have been cricket factory sealed cellophane. I've done this numerous times thru the years with AT&T sims, again sealed with bar codes,etc,etc. So what are they doing, mass scanning or whatever. I realize anything is possible, but practical is another thing.

Do you have actual experience with"activating" a sim or just guessing. Also, regardless of whether a sim is scanned, authorized or whatever, it's value is still zero except for it's intended use.
    As I don't know the inner workings of AT&T other than experience with the user-end of AT&T postpaid for consumers, AT&T postpaid for business, and Cricket, I can only guess based on patterns. It sounds like the ones you're getting are already ready to go (much like the stacks of SIMs we get shipped to us from our AT&T rep for our business account that aren't associated with a particular line), unlike the sealed, one-off kits that are sold at retailers like Best Buy, Target, or Walmart.

Where it gets screwy is that "activating" these kits at checkout doesn't mean that they're actually getting service put on them, but just marking them so they can be used. It could be a reason so employees of Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. can't just have a few fall off the truck.

You're right that there isn't any value outside of the intended use, but AT&T seems to be treating their prepaid SIM kits for retail sale a bit differently than run-of-the-mill mass-distribution SIM cards.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    That's not true any more with post paid. 2 year contracts with termination fees are very rare. Any installment plan can be paid off early at any time without penalty and the subscriber can leave.

We are on post paid since the 7 unlimited lines with NA Roam, hot spot and some other discounts is cheaper than any comparable unlimited prepaid plan. I travel to Canada and Mexico several times per year with some trips being 3 weeks before returning to the US.
    Could you provide the postpaid carrier which is cheaper than crickets current ul2 plan, as they appear to have the same features you mention. You must have some powerful discounts and live in one of the few states not adding taxes and other fees approaching %20 or more.

Device(s)
    Lumia 830
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

I was unaware of this since I left AT&T a few years ago.
    Still, it’s hard to beat the price.

Feedback Score
    ETFhave been prorated for a number of years. I don't believe the average consumer has the funds on hand to buy them out. This lease is virtually the same, maybe worse for consumers as you don't really see the sweet upgrades you used to for signing a 2 year commitment. I made tons selling my Sprint upgrades and gaming the insurance system. Nothing illegal just using loopholes.
    Most probably don't remember Asurion upgrading PPC devices to the next models. I buy all my phones outright. I rarely go out of pocket more than $100. Currently my family are all on 8 series Samsung. I've carried a flagship since Treo 600 with little out of pocket expense.
    The lease keeps poor people poor. Not only are they paying MSRP. They are bound to that carrier. Insurance is a rip now with huge deductibles. The phone value plummets in the 18-24 months they're still paying on it. 3 new hugh end phones have come out and they're still owing. It's a viscous cycle to upgrade. People that can afford the hit just buy the phone.

Feedback Score
    Could you provide the postpaid carrier which is cheaper than crickets current ul2 plan, as they appear to have the same features you mention. You must have some powerful discounts and live in one of the few states not adding taxes and other fees approaching %20 or more.
    AT&T UL plus with combined billing discount and military FAN discount. My tax is definitely less than 20% and is one of the cheaper jurisdictions in the state.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    AT&T UL plus with combined billing discount and military FAN discount. My tax is definitely less than 20% and is one of the cheaper jurisdictions in the state.
    Yeah, it sounds like you've got a pretty good setup for yourself I think the best I ever did was the retentions MSV 20GB plan on four lines, and unified bill discount (ugh), 15% off work discount, and a $5 discount on a BYOD tablet line (offered about year ago). Unfortunately, that only really worked with having everything through AT&T and I'm still paying quite a bit less now even with mixing services from different providers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast