Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: opted for the Honor 7X

Feedback Score
    For $200, I'd expect it to have a gyroscope .

Use the YouTube app to find an interesting 360 degree video, then play it while changing the phone's orientation and confirm/watch the video change viewing angle for fun - which will prove it has a gyro also. Neat if you've never tried watching a 360 video on it before.

Device(s)
    Honor 7X / Plantronics ML20 (previous cell LG L35G)
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (formerly AT&T, Alltel, Verizon, and CellularOne)
    Feedback Score
    Great suggestion. Just took a rollercoaster ride! LOL This is all new to me.

As for the $200 and should have I agree. It was just that there had been earlier concerns/complaints (mostly from India and their version of the 7X) that it originally didn't have a gyro. Obviously the US flavor does.

Feedback Score
    Hope you didn't get sick on the ride . Can you post the link - if it's not too much of a challenge?

Thanks for the phone leash link... . Didn't know they made those things

You might be aware of this:
    https://www.androidauthority.com/hua...ations-830015/

But hopefully there's nothing about us that interests them, if it is true

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Rollercoaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xNN-bJQ4vI&t=53s

Yeah I stumbled upon that leash site during my researching. Just got a shipping status email.

And yes I'm aware of the scared of Chinese Huawei business. Considering all the components we get from China as it is, as well as units like iPhones manufactured there, one has to wonder about this specific reaction. They aren't a government entity either which again begs the question about this reaction.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the coaster link - neat. People without gyros can pan around by touching/dragging across the screen while the video is playing - not quite as nice as just moving the phone around.

I understand the government's position on not wanting to use Chinese-made network equipment in government network systems.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Agreed but I was keying on the AT&T backing out of selling Huawei phones due to government pressure and not network systems.

Different issue:
    On my old 2.3.6 android I could move apps to my SD card. Seems this function is not available on the 7X even if you make the SD card your "defaul" location in settings. Honestly I don't know how much of an advantage doing that is under android 7 (and soon 8), but the meager 32Gb has me wondering. BTW mine shows 18.65 Gb free.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Got the Foneleash today. Just what the doctor ordered! Highly recommended.
    https://www.foneleash.com/

Feedback Score
    All set to take her for a walk now.

Quote Originally Posted by bald1 View Post
    Got the Foneleash today. Just what the doctor ordered! Highly recommended.
    https://www.foneleash.com/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm *REALLY* enjoying this phone. Huge step up from my antique LG35G and android 2.3.6. Looking forward to the Oreo/EMUI 8.0 update! LOL

Not a lot out there in the way of case reviews. I spent some time looking around and decided to throw the dice.

First was a Vinve style generic clear TPU case with blue accents to go with my blue 7X. It has two tiny holes on the lower right to accommodate a wrist lanyard which the Vinve doesn't (from the Amazon description). Great fitment. Speaker hole is not a full plain 1/2" opening covering the primary mic too like the Huawei case but rather has two separate openings adding reinforcement against excessive flexing the combo cutout exhibits. (As such it won't work with the Foneleash.) Cutouts for both the USB and headphone ports are unobstructive and perfectly centered. The "feel" isn't near as grippy as the clear case that came with the phone. But with the wrist strap I added and the slightly thicker and more rugged overall construction I consider it an upgrade from the stock case. Quite pleased with it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Huawei-...r/192412575883
    Name:  00FCAvY.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  52.3 KBName:  lbsSZkm.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  41.7 KB

Second was the desire for a more rugged case to mate with the Foneleash for riskier "out and abouts." Right now I'm using the supplied "bonus" white IGG Lords Mobile game graphics TPU case as the speaker slot is stiffer than the supplied clear case. (For a septuagenarian the cartoonish graphics are definitely NOT my style. ) Again not a lot out there regarding the merits of various models. Waiting for this Sniper hybrid case (in black/gray) to be delivered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shockproof-...r/263395560188
    Hopefully it will prove a good choice as well.
    Name:  dBiWnso.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  15.3 KBName:  qsS5TY4.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  8.3 KBName:  wIdciU4.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  4.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bald1; 01-24-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    FWIW after trying numerous themes, I'm settled on Aniket's Dark Card theme with my choice of wallpapers.
    http://www.huaweitheme.work/2017/11/...i-5-theme.html

Attachment 156298

Which gives a nice set of icons and a darker background here:

Attachment 156299

And here's the main screens with an Arches' National Park picture:

Attachment 156300Attachment 156301

Of course everyone's preferences for apps vary. I've killed social media stuff like Facebook and Instagram as well as the bulk of Google's "productivity"apps. I've also opted for Samsung's browser with Adblock Fast and DuckDuckGo, NOAA weather, Raindar, Unit Converter Pro, Free QR Scanner, Solitaire Decked Out, Mahjong Titan, SwiftKey, and Huawei Backup. HiSuite has been installed on my computer.

Tweaking various Android/EMUI settings has also been fun. An example is adding extra fonts to choose from: http://www.themefoxx.com/2017/04/dow...s-no-root.html
    Last edited by bald1; 01-25-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2